Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2013, 10:52:13 AM
2 years ago: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2011/0603/280702-tyrone_monaghan/
I've seldom been as soaked as I was at that game. Monaghan never looked like winning, but only two points in it, despite us playing over half a game with 14 men.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 08:46:37 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on July 28, 2013, 02:47:35 AM
I was a bit surprised at first to see Monaghan are 2/1 outsiders for this, 11/10(+2) with the handicap and I was about to jump on that before I had the thought that Croke Park might not suit Monaghan. Pace and fitness are the key things in the open spaces Croke Park. Are Monaghan fast?
Not that old chestnut again!

Clones - 142 x 87m
Croke Park - 144.5m x 88m

Yes, they'll really struggle to make the transition!

Thanks for that info Maguire. And the sarcasm.
Reminds me of when I was working on the building site back in Ireland. I asked the boss if there was a shovel around anywhere. "Well Paul, If ya opened your eyes ya might see it". Some Irish people can't answer a question without letting ya know how stupid ya were for asking it. There are even sarcastic fcukers teaching in schools which really isn't good.

Anyway, I was watching the Cork/Galway game and I was struck by all the space out there but that was probably more to do with formations than the pitch. Croke Park does look a lot bigger though. Thinlk I'll have the few quid on Monaghan. Those odds look too high to me.

Radda bout yeee

Did the farney players do much celebrating during the week?

Bingo

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on July 28, 2013, 11:39:01 AM
Did the farney players do much celebrating during the week?

Most of them made it back training on Friday night, the ones that didn't still had a few quid to go drinking for the weekend as they'd backed Beggan to score in both halves last weekend. They'll be drunk out soon enough though.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: EC Unique on July 28, 2013, 10:59:01 AM
Can see Tyrone giving Monaghan a tanking here. The bright lights of croke park and the hangover of the open top bus tours will be too much for the Monaghan bucks.

It's great to see that Tyrone followers are realistic about their prospects. You clearly haven't seen Tyrone play in a few yeas and are living in 2008, or thereabouts.

What signs from your game against Meath last night warrants you to think that you will 'tank' Monaghan next Saturday?

As they say; 'wind your neck in lad'.

Throw ball

Do not care how this match goes as long as Monaghan win.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Monaghan's greatest challenge in this one is bringing themselves back down to Earth, no matter what is said -- the Ulster Championship was a momentous achievement, something not too easily dismissed from their collective consciousness.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

timmyot501

I agree with FoSB.  Should Monaghan be able to reach the levels of the Ulster final then they have every chance of overcoming Tyrone this time.  Winning ulster was a huge deal to players and fans alike.  And yes the celebrations were great and long overdue. But the players were back in action on Wed.  Hopefully they can re-group and hit the ground running on Saturday.  Lookin forward to it.

T Fearon

Surely the fact that they owe Tyrone one or two should inspire Monaghan? On the evidence of last night,I cannot see Tyrone winning this,Minaghan are bound to target both O'Neill and Cavanagh.

Schkite

Quote from: T Fearon on July 28, 2013, 07:57:55 PM
Surely the fact that they owe Tyrone one or two should inspire Monaghan? On the evidence of last night,I cannot see Tyrone winning this,Minaghan are bound to target both O'Neill and Cavanagh.

You'd have thought so. This is the draw I was hoping for personally and no better team than Tyrone to focus the players' minds after last weekends celebrations. I think we'll need a massive game from Darren Hughes in midfield, especially when you look at the influence Cavanagh had yesterday. Hopefully the brother can keep up the form up front along with McManus and we could also do with similar performances from the full back line and Dessie Mone. Alot to ask for but we'll give it a lash sure.

ONeill

We wanted Monaghan. Monaghan wanted us.

I feel love in the room.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

It will be ignorant on the pitch and twice as ignorant in the stands
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

babarino

Quote from: Minder on July 28, 2013, 08:33:15 PM

You've got to love these 'Hero Members', from on high, with their one liners. What part of the world are ye from Minder?

EC Unique

Quote from: babarino on July 28, 2013, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 28, 2013, 08:33:15 PM

You've got to love these 'Hero Members', from on high, with their one liners. What part of the world are ye from Minder?

He's from Antrim (snigger)

Main Street

If they can rise above the torment of a million butterflies chattering in their stomachs, a guard of honour from the Tyrone team would be an appropriate sporting gesture towards the new champions when they strut manfully onto Croke Pk.