Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGateKeeper

"Guard of honour"! Catch yourself on lad!   :o
You get a guard of honour when you win
the big one, end of!    ;D

Captain Obvious

Monaghan won Ulster by defeating Donegal forget the rest. Three years in a row Tyrone claimed they would defeat Donegal and lost every time. It's important Monaghan don't let Tyrone devalue their Ulster success.

GrandMasterFlash

They are in no doubt a bogey team for us but the younger lads won't care about that. It'll be another fairly tight battle with a few rugby tackles towards the end like the Meath game.. Sure they've played Rugby in Croker before I suppose..  ;)

I'd be confident of a Monaghan win however..

EC Unique

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 29, 2013, 09:41:12 AM
They are in no doubt a bogey team for us but the younger lads won't care about that. It'll be another fairly tight battle with a few rugby tackles towards the end like the Meath game.. Sure they've played Rugby in Croker before I suppose..  ;)

Tyrone are not a 'bogey team' to Monaghan. They are just better.

Muzz

In all seriousness where has the Monaghan confidence come from?  Yes they beat Donegal over 70 minutes with an intensity not seen before by them. Those 70 minutes was monaghans all Ireland. As someone else has said this is bonus territory for them. Of course they will give it a go but I am still mystified.

Tyrone on the other hand have experience at this late stage of the championship, with a mixture of youth and oldies. They haven't been playing great for a full 70 minutes and to win the all Ireland they'd need to start however Monaghan will not win this game approaching it with the same tactics as they did for Donegal. Versus Meath I never once felt Tyrone would lose the game and always felt they had more in the tank to get over the line, naivity perhaps but I feel the same versus Monaghan.

nrico2006

Couldn't be a better draw from a Tyrone perspective.  Reminds me of the build up in 2010 when all the talk was about how Monaghan were going to hammer Tyrone.  I feel that a combination of everything going right for Monaghan last week and everything going wrong for Donegal was the main reason of the Monaghan win.  They looked impressive and deserved the win, but I'm sure Tyrone will be happy to prepare this week under the radar. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on July 29, 2013, 10:01:49 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 29, 2013, 09:41:12 AM

Tyrone are not a 'bogey team' to Monaghan. They are just better.

Every day is different and teams change. You're only as good as your last game and Saturday will tell a tale.

Fuzzman

As we're seeing on here both sets of fans seem to fancy their chances which has the makings for a good game. (on paper anyway)

When I came out from the Meath match on Sat I felt we didn't play that well, especially second half and had resigned myself to thinking that was our last win of the year. However, we did get the best draw I suppose but if Monaghan can repeat the hunger and workload of last weeks win over Funegal then I think they will win.
We've been doing OK and just enough to scrape by each match but I don't know is that just luck or can we up a gear if we need to. If we struggle to get the ball to stick in our FF line then I think we're in trouble.

We're certainly no where near as good as we were when we beat Monaghan back in 2010. We tend to strangle the life out of teams more nowadays though I was shocked to read we created 30 scoring chances on Sat. It certainly didn't feel like it.

On another note, I wish Mattie Donnelly would go for his goal a lot more when he's put through. We don't get many goal chances and from this stage on goals win games.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Muzz on July 29, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
In all seriousness where has the Monaghan confidence come from?  Yes they beat Donegal over 70 minutes with an intensity not seen before by them. Those 70 minutes was monaghans all Ireland. As someone else has said this is bonus territory for them. Of course they will give it a go but I am still mystified.

Tyrone on the other hand have experience at this late stage of the championship, with a mixture of youth and oldies. They haven't been playing great for a full 70 minutes and to win the all Ireland they'd need to start however Monaghan will not win this game approaching it with the same tactics as they did for Donegal. Versus Meath I never once felt Tyrone would lose the game and always felt they had more in the tank to get over the line, naivity perhaps but I feel the same versus Monaghan.

Ah that trite cliche again... How do you know it was our AI, what facts or indeed logic are you basing that statement on?

I seriously disagree with your second (highlighted) statement also. If Monaghan play with the same intensity and tactics I'd be pretty confident that they will beat Tyrone. Some of your fellow posters have agreed with this also. Perhaps it is naivety on your part..

It is bonus territory, but they will be well up for this match, knowing that a place in the last four beckons should they advance. Monaghan are a good mixture of experience and youth also. They older lads have been on the end of many a beating from Tyrone, due to their superior footballing ability, as stated by yourself. However, it is conceivable now for Monahan to be confident going into this game, for which they will be underdogs no doubt.  ;)

Fuzzman

Here's what Mickey Harte had to say in the Irish Times today

Indeed, you have to go all the way back to 1988 for the last Monaghan victory over Tyrone. Harte was in Clones for the Ulster final and was taken with what he saw, as he explained after his side's two-point win over Meath on Saturday night.

'Great ferocity'
"Monaghan were more than impressive against Donegal," said Hartes, "and if they produce that kind of form, probably what we did today wouldn't be any good. So we'll have to improve on all our performances this year.
"They tackled with a great ferocity. They smothered Donegal and didn't let them hurt them where I mattered. I suppose they took their three key inside players out of the game in terms of scores.
"The most impressive thing about them was having played so much and so well in the first half to be only 0-5 to 0-2 up Donegal probably felt in a good enough place because they are very capable of overhauling that kind of lead and in the second half Monaghan had to knock on and get some more scores and they did that.
"They kept that gap, they never let Donegal any closer than three which was an amazing feat on its own and they just pulled away in the end.
"Our performances, anything we have played to date would not beat the Monaghan I saw in the Ulster final last Sunday."

Main Street

Unusual for Mickey to throw in the towel, getting his excuses for defeat in early. But perhaps he realises deep down that Tyrone haven't got that extra gear to stop the wheel of destiny, the year of the championship grand slam for Monaghan over Tyrone.

FarneyMan

2 refs named so far for the Quarters, but none yet for this game........please God dont let it be one of the chuckle brothers......

EC Unique

Given that there were no injuries or suspensions I think Tyrone will line out very similar if not exactly the same. I would like to see Cassidy get a full game but maybe he is not fit for that and always comes on to great effect as a sub. I doubt if Coney will get another chance from the bench as he was poor when he came on and McAlisky would be deserving of a chance at this stage. McGinley got a bit of stick on here when selected against Meath but I think he did enough to keep his place. Monaghan won the game against Donegal in the first 10 minutes by coming out of the traps at 100mph. Donegal did not know what hit them. If Tyrone can win the first quarter then they will win the game. If we can get ahead by 2 or 3 points in that period then we will see what Monaghan are made of....

redhandluke

Quote from: FarneyMan on July 29, 2013, 02:33:37 PM
2 refs named so far for the Quarters, but none yet for this game........please God dont let it be one of the chuckle brothers......

My sources tell me Pat McEnaney is coming out of retirement  :-\
Seriously though, out of curiosity, with Pat on the referees committe (chair I think), does he have a say on who referees this match??