Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2013, 02:13:41 AM
I expect pure agricultural dirt from Monaghan.

They're too stupid down there to spell cynical never mind execute it.
;D

I was a bit surprised at first to see Monaghan are 2/1 outsiders for this, 11/10(+2) with the handicap and I was about to jump on that before I had the thought that Croke Park might not suit Monaghan. Pace and fitness are the key things in the open spaces Croke Park. Are Monaghan fast?

The Subbie

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 28, 2013, 02:47:35 AM

;D

I was a bit surprised at first to see Monaghan are 2/1 outsiders for this, 11/10(+2) with the handicap and I was about to jump on that before I had the thought that Croke Park might not suit Monaghan. Pace and fitness are the key things in the open spaces Croke Park. Are Monaghan fast?

Ask Karl Lacey.

orangeman

;D

How can Tyrone be 1-2 favourites for this game ?

Makes no sense after the way Monaghan hammered quite literally at times, Donegal into the ground last week.

As Joe dais on tv last night, Monaghan shouldn't be afraid of Tyrone and should go out and "get dug into Tyrone" !

Maguire01

Not that old chestnut again!

Clones - 142 x 87m
Croke Park - 144.5m x 88m

Yes, they'll really struggle to make the transition!

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on July 27, 2013, 11:03:13 PM
Tyrone will be delighted with this draw.

The pressure is on Monaghan to back up their win last weekend.
I hate to break it to you, but the pressure is always on the favourites.

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 08:55:52 AM

Monaghan are the champions having beaten the all ireland champions into the ground and on the scoreboard.

Tyrone playing poorly.

All the pressure on Monaghan in my book to show that the Uster final was not a one off.

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2013, 09:03:44 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2013, 08:55:52 AM

Monaghan are the champions having beaten the all ireland champions into the ground and on the scoreboard.

Tyrone playing poorly.

All the pressure on Monaghan in my book to show that the Uster final was not a one off.
So the favourites aren't the, er, favourite to win?
Monaghan have silverware in the bag and are in bonus territory. Of the 8 teams left, they're ranked 7th to win Sam (Monaghan 25/1, Tyrone 9/1). Monaghan will be well up for next week and won't want to be on the wrong end of a hammering, but they're under no pressure here.

Having said that, I think the odds are well off the mark (as they were in the Ulster Final). There's nothing about Tyrone's performances this year that should frighten Monaghan - they were distinctly average last night against a team that Monaghan has beaten twice, by 12 points and 5 points, earlier this year (albeit in the league). If Meath had managed to keep any kind of hold on Cavanagh they'd have been able to pip Tyrone. Added to this that the draw will give Monaghan great motivation, given recent history with Tyrone. Roll on Saturday!

orangeman

You're right about the odds. Look how silly you left the odds compilers last week.

Monaghan won't be afriad of taking on Tyrone - they'll relish it and if they play anything like they did last week against Donegal, they'll be in an all Ireland semi final.

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2013, 09:20:43 AM
You're right about the odds. Look how silly you left the odds compilers last week.

Monaghan won't be afriad of taking on Tyrone - they'll relish it and if they play anything like they did last week against Donegal, they'll be in an all Ireland semi final.
I was reading on Hoganstand that PaddyPower had to pay out €10k on a few bets that Monaghan's keeper (Beggan) would score - they were well off the mark on that one too with odds of 10/1!

gwan-ye-boy-ya

em. very cynical comment there ONeill.

as for the dirt. we learned it from ye crowd.

ONeill

I wonder will Monaghan bring that same manic intensity as they did for 70 mins against Donegal.

The 2 Hugheseses and McManus need a watching.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

Can see Tyrone giving Monaghan a tanking here. The bright lights of croke park and the hangover of the open top bus tours will be too much for the Monaghan bucks.

sam03/05

A few points from Tyrone this last few games
- McConnells Kickouts are terrible, no confidence to go short with them.
- Colm Cavanagh does not deserve to start
- showed great character in tough games which could stand to them

Anyone know if Ronan O'Neill is fit or injured? It's a shame he picked out that injury a year ago. Went to see him in a few club championship games and he was destined to be a superstar at 19 yrs of age. Had everything, balance, pace, both feet, was just a class apart. 
Still I suppose he is only 21 or so and has plenty of time on his side.

Maguire01

Quote from: EC Unique on July 28, 2013, 10:59:01 AM
Can see Tyrone giving Monaghan a tanking here. The bright lights of croke park and the hangover of the open top bus tours will be too much for the Monaghan bucks.
What bright lights? It's on at 5 o'clock.
And there was no open top bus.