Gary Speed RIP

Started by SLIGONIAN, November 27, 2011, 12:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Reading all the tributes and the type of person people who knew him are saying Speed was and what he had going for him in his life makes it all the more baffling as to why he did what he did.

I know everyone has a story of their own to tell regarding knowing someone who has committed suicide but there was one that affected me very badly a few years ago.

I had an apprentice working with me and it was coming up to Christmas,this guy was only 21 and was a real joker and he was really excited about the Christmas coming up.
His sister was due her first child any day and he couldn't wait to be an Uncle, and his other sister who he was very close to was coming home from Australia on the 28th of December and he hadn't seen her in a year,he had said to me a number of times this was gonna be the best Christmas ever,he even texted me on Christmas Eve to say he had won €1000 on some bet he had placed and he wished me a happy Christmas and that he would see me in the New Year for a few drinks before we went back to work.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I got a phone call St.Stephen's morning to say he had been found hanging in his father's garage at his home,why he done it I'll never understand he had so much going for him and he was so looking forward to that Christmas.
As I said it really affected me and I don't think I ever got over it as I just can't get my head around why he did it or if I should have spotted something in him myself as I was working side by side with him every day for about 8 months.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Shocking LL altogether. Say it was and still is very tough. Can't get my head around it at all since yesterday.

Norf Tyrone

Gents- Do any of you know of any local groups that offer counsilling (Prob spelt that wrong) for those who are affected by depression similar to the samaritains, or those who find themselves in need of an ear. Does Oisin McConville's group do that?

I want to run a wee bit on our Facebook page for the Club's younger members do let them know people can help.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

Very cool photo there. My wee brother is a big Leeds fan and he'd a neat photo on there too. It was a foil Speed sticker from an old album and he said 'you had to be a good player to be a shiney'. Apt.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Bingo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 28, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
Gents- Do any of you know of any local groups that offer counsilling (Prob spelt that wrong) for those who are affected by depression similar to the samaritains, or those who find themselves in need of an ear. Does Oisin McConville's group do that?

I want to run a wee bit on our Facebook page for the Club's younger members do let them know people can help.

AWARE would be a support group  for depression in ROI.

http://www.aware.ie/

AZOffaly

Pieta House as well, the organisation we helped out with the Golf Classic.

ross4life

Sad story LL sounds like the lad had a bad case of Bipolar disorder.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

EC Unique

Quote from: laoislad on November 28, 2011, 04:13:40 PM
Reading all the tributes and the type of person people who knew him are saying Speed was and what he had going for him in his life makes it all the more baffling as to why he did what he did.

I know everyone has a story of their own to tell regarding knowing someone who has committed suicide but there was one that affected me very badly a few years ago.

I had an apprentice working with me and it was coming up to Christmas,this guy was only 21 and was a real joker and he was really excited about the Christmas coming up.
His sister was due her first child any day and he couldn't wait to be an Uncle, and his other sister who he was very close to was coming home from Australia on the 28th of December and he hadn't seen her in a year,he had said to me a number of times this was gonna be the best Christmas ever,he even texted me on Christmas Eve to say he had won €1000 on some bet he had placed and he wished me a happy Christmas and that he would see me in the New Year for a few drinks before we went back to work.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I got a phone call St.Stephen's morning to say he had been found hanging in his father's garage at his home,why he done it I'll never understand he had so much going for him and he was so looking forward to that Christmas.
As I said it really affected me and I don't think I ever got over it as I just can't get my head around why he did it or if I should have spotted something in him myself as I was working side by side with him every day for about 8 months.

That is tragic. I would say there are hundreds like you every year wondering why they seen nothing or wondering why. Very sad.

Main Street

Sad and all that Gary's death was and (the probable) dark state of mind he was in, my thoughts would be for the shocking sight left for his family that had to find him like that and the spectre that will live with his children for the rest of their lives.
Gary's life is over, the pain is elsewhere now.

Lady GAA GAA

Quote from: ross4life on November 28, 2011, 05:21:37 PM
Sad story LL sounds like the lad had a bad case of Bipolar disorder.

If you don't know anything about an illness, never mind being professionally qualified, you probably shouldn't be making flippant diagnoses based on a few lines of text.

Great photo there from norf tyrone.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Clown on November 28, 2011, 03:37:12 PM
A tragic story and will be greatly missed

i watched the video on youtube of him on football focus on saturday, and came across this photo online which was a photo with a fan taken on Saturday afternoon. Maybe its just me and this is hindsight talking but i think theres something different in how he looked normally and how he's looking in both the photo and on football focus, something different in his eyes, hard to explain

Poor fella, RIP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066812/Gary-Speed-dead-Last-picture-Wales-manager-hours-committed-suicide.html
I see the same thing, its a glazed over look in his eyes, like he is zoned out, very errie that first photo. He probably knew then.

Sorry to hear that LL, heart breaking stuff, my next door neighbour who i grew up with has tried and failed to commit suicide 3 times, the first time i'll never forget his mother running into the kitchen crying needing a lift from my parents into to see if there son is ok, you should never beat yourself up for not reading the signs, because they are experts at hiding it and wearing an outwardly positive mask to society. The only thing i will say if someone is outwardly positive more than usual it be the only sign you get so i tend to get a bit pokey with people like that and ask them how they really doing. Its an unconcious act and the person feels out of there body, i talked to my friend about it and he also sayed it was like someone else in control, and he wanted to stop the pain. Hes never fully recovered, but i hope he has better days ahead. Bless anyone at this present moment suffering like this.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 28, 2011, 07:30:45 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 28, 2011, 03:37:12 PM
A tragic story and will be greatly missed

i watched the video on youtube of him on football focus on saturday, and came across this photo online which was a photo with a fan taken on Saturday afternoon. Maybe its just me and this is hindsight talking but i think theres something different in how he looked normally and how he's looking in both the photo and on football focus, something different in his eyes, hard to explain

Poor fella, RIP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066812/Gary-Speed-dead-Last-picture-Wales-manager-hours-committed-suicide.html
I see the same thing, its a glazed over look in his eyes, like he is zoned out, very errie that first photo. He probably knew then.

Sorry to hear that LL, heart breaking stuff, my next door neighbour who i grew up with has tried and failed to commit suicide 3 times, the first time i'll never forget his mother running into the kitchen crying needing a lift from my parents into to see if there son is ok, you should never beat yourself up for not reading the signs, because they are experts at hiding it and wearing an outwardly positive mask to society. The only thing i will say if someone is outwardly positive more than usual it be the only sign you get so i tend to get a bit pokey with people like that and ask them how they really doing. Its an unconcious act and the person feels out of there body, i talked to my friend about it and he also sayed it was like someone else in control, and he wanted to stop the pain. Hes never fully recovered, but i hope he has better days ahead. Bless anyone at this present moment suffering like this.

Agreed.

People who describe it as a selfish act really need education.
MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

Also wanted to say Leeds United fans are planning to sing his name for for the 11 mins of the next 2 games, and banners are being prepared for the next home game. I am slightly worried as our next home game is against millwall and hopefully theyll respect the minutes silence because therell be war if otherwise. From the Leeds side of things we are looking at a massive crowd for that game on the back of this tradegy as people want to pay there respects.

I suppose the photo i saw today that got me emotionally was a Man utd shirt with a message to Gary on the Billy Bremner statue, this man u fan also asked permission to put it there. Great to see. I just hope the turkey and munich chants cease forever now.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

The Iceman

You are right Muppet that nobody really understands what was going on with whoever committed suicide. Its a horrible horrible way to have someone stolen from your life. I lost a good mate at Uni through suicide and nobody knows why. I think that is why so many people would call it selfish, because of the devastation it leaves behind and the questions. They are all selfish responses in themselves, to death, but all natural.
A horrible reality.

God Bless the Wife and kids left behind and the wider family circle. Hopefully they find comfort in the tributes pouring in for the man.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight