Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Just saw this on the County message board -

"I would like to wish Sean Hawes a speedy recovery from his injury sustained at the weekend."

Is Chrissy back in the picture???

Have to say, the only way that the draw could have been more favourable to us was if we got Carlow first and then Westmeath.

That's not to say Westmeath wont do a number on us on the back of their great performance against Galway. Its hard to imagine us racking up 2 - 14 against Galway and to think that they had something in the order of 15 wides!!!!

Seamroga in exile

So, the u21 final is in Casement park on Saturday at 6pm. Quelle surprise!
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Saffron exile

Was in the Irish News on Monday that Sean Hawes had broken his ankle. Who are the senior keepers in the panel now?

Minder

If young Clarke gives up the hurling i would imagine he will regret it, what would you tell your kids about in twenty years time? "I won three championships with my mates" or " I scored a hat trick against Ballyclare Comrades". Of course he could end up signing for a team in England and make a fortune but i would imagine the chances of that happening are slim.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on June 07, 2011, 08:23:34 PM
If young Clarke gives up the hurling i would imagine he will regret it, what would you tell your kids about in twenty years time? "I won three championships with my mates" or " I scored a hat trick against Ballyclare Comrades". Of course he could end up signing for a team in England and make a fortune but i would imagine the chances of that happening are slim.
Easy on Minder, he played for Ballycastle.

No point blaming snakes in the grass etc. these boys male their own choices in life and have probably been playing soccer for years too. Hurling isn't the only game in town.

Buswhacker

Who was the last player from N.Ireland to really make it big across the water,probably Geordie Best .As Minder says,playing for Ballyclare,Dungannon Swifts or Donegal Celtic is hardly going to make anyone a fortune playing in front of fifty people every week.Giving up Gaelic games is something that a young player could regret for the rest of his life.

theskull1

Sky and "our" homogenised love affair with the "beautiful game" (because the media tells us to) has dimmed the brain of manys a Gael.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Quote from: Buswhacker on June 07, 2011, 10:44:10 PM
Who was the last player from N.Ireland to really make it big across the water,probably Geordie Best .As Minder says,playing for Ballyclare,Dungannon Swifts or Donegal Celtic is hardly going to make anyone a fortune playing in front of fifty people every week.Giving up Gaelic games is something that a young player could regret for the rest of his life.

What's your definition of big? There would be quite a few boys from Belfast who would have played for antrim, probably more football, made it in the top league and played in the world cup - to me that's big. Best had as big a rep as any man united player - if you didn't make it as "big" as him you could still do pretty well. Martin O'Neill has two european cup medals - is that not big?

Anyway - hurling thread... Watson can play both so why can't Clarke??

Glensman

Quote from: Buswhacker on June 07, 2011, 10:44:10 PM

Depends what you call "big". I wouldn't mind getting the following players wages:
Chris Baird
Kyle Lafferty
Gareth McAuley
Maik Taylor
etc

I just don't understand why he has to choose one or the other at this stage in his career. If he is that good and on the verge of a trial with an English club then fair enough - concentrate on soccer for a year. If not there is no reason why he can't play both hurling and soccer. Burnout smurnout.
I agree with different parts of different arguments here but can empathise with the position that a few years down the line, if he is plying his trade in Div 1/Div 2 of the NI soccer league he may miss out on an under 21 championship or two and the step up to Ballycastle seniors contending he may regret this.

Buswhacker

By big I mean Premier class. The players you mention are earning big wages,but how many players from here reach their level,which in turn is hardly comparable to the wages earned at Man Utd. etc. The availability of good foreign players has ruined the chances of many locals of ever making the grade. I would advise young players to think carefully and be honest about their own abilities before they give up their GAA games for a pipe dream.

theskull1

Loads of parents I know who take their kids to soccer have been told about this scout and that scout from clubs across the shugh interested in their young lad. Very easy to get pipe dreams when local soccer teams use such devious techniques to keep young lads coming back. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Yes I think other sports are a growing problem - and no coincedence its mainly at underage level.

After all, there's a loss of the parish/local pride etc (general in society) so young guys are more inclined to fly the nest - especially if there's a few quid in it.
But also our underage strucutes (pitches, goalnets etc but mainly refs availabitlity) mean soccer still has the edge at this level.

Ballycastle sufffer but even more so the city clubs - hard to see what can be done?

Speaking of those clubs  - I think Galls will fall to Castle this week whioch shoulod be the start of the end of div2.
Heard the Rossa boys were none to happy comin out of Glenarm also?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Buswhacker on June 08, 2011, 09:17:22 AM
By big I mean Premier class. The players you mention are earning big wages,but how many players from here reach their level,which in turn is hardly comparable to the wages earned at Man Utd. etc. The availability of good foreign players has ruined the chances of many locals of ever making the grade. I would advise young players to think carefully and be honest about their own abilities before they give up their GAA games for a pipe dream.

Jonny Evans, Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird(former Rasharkin GAA player) all play premier league. Mal Donaghy, Anton Rogan(two GAA players), Steve Lomas, Neil Lennon(former Armagh minor) and many more all played top level too. All making a big living and a few gaels in there. There are barely any english players at top clubs these days never mind NI / ROI.

It's part of the harsh reality of an amateur sport that some of these guys will be lost. Guys like Lafferty and Davis are set-up for life now as they make a fortune so they have clearly made it. Allbeit they're not GA players but my point is even not at the top they make massive money.

I think Glensman makes a fair point - why can he not play both? Watson / Antrim soccer goalie / even those McGourtys do it.

Where is the Galls / Ballycastle match at by the way?

BlackandAmber

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 08, 2011, 09:32:37 AM

Speaking of those clubs  - I think Galls will fall to Castle this week whioch shoulod be the start of the end of div2.

I hope you're right there butI wouldn't be so sure. I think St Galls will give the Town everything and maybe more than they want.  I can't see too much in it and the way the Town is with players missing & so on  St Galls should be favourites maybe.

Should be a good game so I hope it dries up and stays calm.

It's in ballycastle Tommy. 

johnneycool

Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 08, 2011, 10:31:21 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 08, 2011, 09:32:37 AM

I hope you're right there butI wouldn't be so sure. I think St Galls will give the Town everything and maybe more than they want.  I can't see too much in it and the way the Town is with players missing & so on  St Galls should be favourites maybe.

Should be a good game so I hope it dries up and stays calm.

It's in ballycastle Tommy.

In this instance its safe for you to use 'us and 'we' when talking about your home club BlackandAmber, that is if you are who you say you are???