Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2023, 12:24:33 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 05, 2023, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2023, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on September 05, 2023, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on September 05, 2023, 09:52:54 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2023, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: trailer on September 05, 2023, 08:52:02 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 04, 2023, 09:47:32 PM
Huge popularity for the Wolfetones now and in no small part/thanks to the outrage and hyperbole by the national media about the one line lyric in their 1989 Celtic Symphony song.

https://twitter.com/wolfetones/status/1698480736372662310

For people who have suffered at the hands of IRA violence they find it offensive. Surely you can see that? If that was a huge tent in East Belfast and everyone singing up to their knees in Fenian blood would you be offended?
I keep saying it, people want a United Ireland but these people don't want to have to do any of the work to achieve it.
The troubles were brutal. Celebrating the IRA is wrong when so much pain has not been worked on. There are other ways for people to  make their  point.
Wrong to celebrate rebels of The Easter Rising and the Tan War too then?

May as well scrap  the national anthem as well then .  Replace it with  'Where's me jumper?' .  Although the  references to Karl Marx and  the anarchist party  might be an issue
The Tan file is closed. the Troubles file isn't. If you sing up the Ra or up to your knees in Fenian blood it will trigger a reaction . It's not complicated.

Says who, you is it as the authority on these things?

For what its worth I am not a fan of the wolfe tones nor the idea of singing songs about conflict. I once did it myself like many of us but now I don't really see it as helpful. Saying that I would say 99% of Wolfe Tone songs that I recall are about the old IRA which your FF, FG etc parties and general population commemorate every year - rightly so. The sheer hypocrisy of the same peoples outrage about the wolfe tones I find hilarious.

The real story here is that the establishment is shitting itself that young people cannot be controlled to their way of thinking, that a party (Sinn Fein) is winning the vote of young people at a higher rate than the FF/FG establishment parties are, that they can see poll results today are only the start of a bigger swing to Sinn Fein. This constant moaning about the wolfe tones is just another manifestation of desperation of establishment lackies. Newstalk with 2 muppets on a show blabbering about history being re-written yesterday and then they invited f**king Bertie Ahern on to make the same point, one of the biggest crooks the country ever seen. Much of the outrage in the south is from clowns that wouldnt know the difference between Belleek and Belarus. Its the last sting of a dying wasp. I for one am enjoying it.
SF will have the same experience as Labour in Government. Labour's way or Frankfurt's way was the message. Frankfurt's way was the result.

What's that silly soundbite got to do with what I wrote above?
Power, Itchy. the Department of Finance. The Government can't influence much.
Why do so many Cavan people have to go to work in Dublin? There are bigger powers calling shots.

Yes all very interesting, but not the topic we are talking about here.

weareros

At the end of the day, the Irish, the British and Americans love military commemorations. All have militaristic national anthems and songs of defeating the enemy. There's other countries too but I'd say these 3 more than any. Something in the Celtic-Gael—Anglo mindset that loves this and that's where poppy facism comes from too, or don't you dare insult American troops fighting for freedom to a Yank. Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Sinn Fein all love their military commemorations, often for highly suspect individuals - but because they fought the good fight for Irish freedom, they are heroes.  Most won't like to admit it but Ooh Ah Up the Ra is no different than English people singing Two World Wars and One World Cup or Loyalists singing No Surrender. We may not like the English and Loyalist jingoism but equally they don't like ours. On top of this you have a rightfully angry youth with the establishment and the old joke about Jesus being Irish because he was 33 and still living at home with his mother (and she thought he was God) is now actually true based on latest stats of young people living at home - except of course for a couple of days when they get to live in a tent at Electric Picnic. Add to this the rising anti-Emigrant feeling (and DUP fundamentalists like Wallace Thompson looking to a New White Christian Ireland) and we are all now on the one Road - to Irexit. All together now boys and girls - we're on the one road...

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on September 05, 2023, 02:05:13 PM
At the end of the day, the Irish, the British and Americans love military commemorations. All have militaristic national anthems and songs of defeating the enemy. There's other countries too but I'd say these 3 more than any. Something in the Celtic-Gael—Anglo mindset that loves this and that's where poppy facism comes from too, or don't you dare insult American troops fighting for freedom to a Yank. Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Sinn Fein all love their military commemorations, often for highly suspect individuals - but because they fought the good fight for Irish freedom, they are heroes.  Most won't like to admit it but Ooh Ah Up the Ra is no different than English people singing Two World Wars and One World Cup or Loyalists singing No Surrender. We may not like the English and Loyalist jingoism but equally they don't like ours. On top of this you have a rightfully angry youth with the establishment and the old joke about Jesus being Irish because he was 33 and still living at home with his mother (and she thought he was God) is now actually true based on latest stats of young people living at home - except of course for a couple of days when they get to live in a tent at Electric Picnic. Add to this the rising anti-Emigrant feeling (and DUP fundamentalists like Wallace Thompson looking to a New White Christian Ireland) and we are all now on the one Road - to Irexit. All together now boys and girls - we're on the one road...
I think the UK is much more militaristic. Even the North is compared to the South. Military spending is very low. The Navy only has enough staff to man or woman  2 ships. Soldiers at the bottom of the hierarchy don't get paid enough.

general_lee

Wise up. The Wolfe Tones/Celtic Symphony/rebel songs is essentially our version of protest music. Yeah it ain't gonna be everyone's cup of tea but the amount of hysteria over it, especially in Belfast, is ridiculous.

Meanwhile, thousands of Unionists can take part in a huge memorial parade dedicated to an actual sectarian killer and not one eyelid is batted by the media.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2023, 02:28:51 PM
I think the UK is much more militaristic. Even the North is compared to the South. Military spending is very low. The Navy only has enough staff to man or woman  2 ships. Soldiers at the bottom of the hierarchy don't get paid enough.

Agree on that. I didn't mean military might (which is a whole separate sickness in big nations), of which Ireland has none.

weareros

Quote from: general_lee on September 05, 2023, 02:36:40 PM

Wise up. The Wolfe Tones/Celtic Symphony/rebel songs is essentially our version of protest music. Yeah it ain't gonna be everyone's cup of tea but the amount of hysteria over it, especially in Belfast, is ridiculous.

Meanwhile, thousands of Unionists can take part in a huge memorial parade dedicated to an actual sectarian killer and not one eyelid is batted by the media.

I wouldn't  insult our great tradition of rebel, protest music with a riff ripped off without credit from black artists, written for Glasgow Celtic FC. And by the way, I hate Loyalist culture and the marching tradition celebrating terrorists, and battles where Irish people were slaughtered. I would ban all military celebrations in a United Ireland, including Irish ones.  More Macnas parades, pagan festivals, literary, traditional music, etc, instead of this dour, hateful, nihilistic shite.

AustinPowers

Do you  think Ireland is heading that  direction? Is there  justification for a  referendum  within the next few years?

trailer

Quote from: AustinPowers on September 05, 2023, 03:25:44 PM

Do you  think Ireland is heading that  direction? Is there  justification for a  referendum  within the next few years?

With support for the EU at ~80% and support for an Irexit ~10% (undecideds ~10%) I would severely doubt it, no matter what people say.

Rossfan

Only people actively talking about leaving the EU is the neo Nazi scum and various loony left extremists plus a few who have always been opposed to it like that Coughlam lad.
There is no demand for it, there will be no Referendum on it.
As regards the Tones..... godhelpus. Give me the Fleadh any day.
Of course if those selective condemnation clowns hadn't started kicking up over that song/chant most of us wouldn't be aware it exists at all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

EU wide support for leaving the bloc peaked with the Brexit vote but collapsed as Brexit became a liability.  One of the arguments for Brexit was that it would weaken the EU.

Captain Obvious

Huge popularity for the Wolfetones now and in no small part/thanks to the outrage and hyperbole by the national media about the one line lyric in their 1989 Celtic Symphony song.

For people who have suffered at the hands of IRA violence they find it offensive. Surely you can see that? If that was a huge tent in East Belfast and everyone singing up to their knees in Fenian blood would you be offended?
I keep saying it, people want a United Ireland but these people don't want to have to do any of the work to achieve it.

The point is what the Wolfetones popularity has grown out of. A band that was in semi retirement that might have grabbed 100 or so down at the local pub and now talk that they should headline Electric Picnic next year.

The hyperbole by media created this and you said that yourself on this thread.

Quote from: trailer on October 14, 2022, 02:50:46 PM
The reaction from media and politicians is ridiculous. Talk about a pile on. Carla Blackheart seems to be a cheerleader for this shite.

trailer

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 05, 2023, 04:42:00 PM

The point is what the Wolfetones popularity has grown out of. A band that was in semi retirement that might have grabbed 100 or so down at the local pub and now talk that they should headline Electric Picnic next year.

The reaction from media and politicians is ridiculous. Talk about a pile on. Carla Blackheart seems to be a cheerleader for this shite.

Slightly different context. In that it was the Irish Ladies soccer team. They made a poor error of judgement.

weareros

Quote from: trailer on September 05, 2023, 03:43:48 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on September 05, 2023, 03:25:44 PM

With support for the EU at ~80% and support for an Irexit ~10% (undecideds ~10%) I would severely doubt it, no matter what people say.

Not now. But 10 years down the line when corporation taxes have dried up under new OECD/EU rules. Housing has not been solved. People think emigrants are the reason. Farmers turn against EU climate laws. Crippling debt, much of its origins in Eu forcing private banking debt into public debt. I'm pro-Eu for the record. Sorry for straying off topic. Just think Wolfe Tones "we're on the one road" kind of romantic Irish idealism is in for a rude awakening. We're becoming more like Brexit Britain/Trump's America than we realise. It'll be 50/50 in a decade, sorry to say.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: trailer on September 05, 2023, 04:54:06 PM

Slightly different context. In that it was the Irish Ladies soccer team. They made a poor error of judgement.

It's all connected. Without the over the top attention the Irish Ladies got from the media the Wolftones probably wouldn't even be asked to appear at Electric Picnic never mind attract many thousands.

AustinPowers

Varadkar set the  ball rolling though  before that

But maybe the   popularity  for the WT was always there ? There maybe wasn't  a festival about to  hold  them or  their followers