Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: general_lee on November 29, 2022, 05:18:57 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 29, 2022, 05:14:04 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 29, 2022, 05:05:15 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2022, 03:16:33 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 26, 2022, 09:01:30 AM
Just to add a bit like the footballers it gives rags like beltel and newsletter material for countless shit articles for weeks

Twice on the front page of the Beal Feirste telegraph this week.

Yes they should stop reporting news.

Is this news? A girl acted a complete bellend. Couldn't defend her actions. But is it really newsworthy for such a sustained period of time? No f**king way. And that's not defending her actions.
Agreed. She did something nasty but the pile on is OTT
Offense outrage syndrome, politically manipulated to justify demonising 'themmuns' who collectively are up to no good unless they accept that they were wrong and we were the moral guardians of all that is/was good in Northern Ireland since 1921.

Captain Obvious

Huge popularity for the Wolfetones now and in no small part/thanks to the outrage and hyperbole by the national media about the one line lyric in their 1989 Celtic Symphony song.

https://twitter.com/wolfetones/status/1698480736372662310

Itchy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 04, 2023, 09:47:32 PM
Huge popularity for the Wolfetones now and in no small part/thanks to the outrage and hyperbole by the national media about the one line lyric in their 1989 Celtic Symphony song.

I think its hilarious, you cant help but think back to the Famous Father Ted Episode where they protest outside the cinema. The satire in that is way above the heads of fools like Joe Duffy and his ilk.

trailer

For people who have suffered at the hands of IRA violence they find it offensive. Surely you can see that? If that was a huge tent in East Belfast and everyone singing up to their knees in Fenian blood would you be offended?
I keep saying it, people want a United Ireland but these people don't want to have to do any of the work to achieve it.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on September 05, 2023, 08:52:02 AM

For people who have suffered at the hands of IRA violence they find it offensive. Surely you can see that? If that was a huge tent in East Belfast and everyone singing up to their knees in Fenian blood would you be offended?
I keep saying it, people want a United Ireland but these people don't want to have to do any of the work to achieve it.
The troubles were brutal. Celebrating the IRA is wrong when so much pain has not been worked on. There are other ways for people to  make their  point.

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2023, 09:00:51 AM

The troubles were brutal. Celebrating the IRA is wrong when so much pain has not been worked on. There are other ways for people to  make their  point.
Wrong to celebrate rebels of The Easter Rising and the Tan War too then?

InnocentByStander

This song is in no way about the IRA, the song is about Celtic, the section of the song talking about the IRA is a man recalling the graffiti he sees on the wall.

The IRA done some terrible terrible things, but they were the only people standing up for the second class catholic citizens up here during them days and if it was not for them many many more Catholics would have been killed.

Don't forgot how the troubles started, a civil rights campaign. But sure you southerns wouldn't know that anyway...

AustinPowers

Quote from: Snapchap on September 05, 2023, 09:52:54 AM

May as well scrap  the national anthem as well then .  Replace it with  'Where's me jumper?' .  Although the  references to Karl Marx and  the anarchist party  might be an issue

seafoid

When is the last time the Tan war was celebrated in public by 20,000 people in the midlands? Just give me the year .

InnocentByStander

Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2023, 10:47:53 AM

When is the last time the Tan war was celebrated in public by 20,000 people in the midlands? Just give me the year .

2023 by them exact 20k people as come out you black and tans is included on the wolfe tones set list.  ;D ;D ;D

tbrick18

Its a fair enough point in general about being offended (though this particular song is not specifically an IRA song).
What I would say though about a United Ireland....it will never be united if we can't respect each other's perspective and narrative on the troubles. It's ok to be offended, we just need to be mature enough to respect another view point and what happened here.
It doesn't help anyone if some part of a community can't express their support for parties they see/saw as their protectors or who were fighting on their behalf. Not talking about it, or not being able to express support for what went on then will make people feel ostracised and could result in more resentment and ultimately more violence.

If we go down the road of not allowing people to express support for the paramilitaries pre-good friday agreement, where does it stop?
We would seriously need to apply the same logic to support for the British Army, remembrance sunday, the wearing of poppies, Easter rising commemorations and the Twelfth. That will never happen as it negates perceived legitimacy of those events or organisations in the past and today.

So when you say these people don't want to do the work to achieve it, do you mean they are not prepared to change their views on their experiences and perception of the troubles to appease the other side?

None of use should have to hide away our views in fear of offending someone else's sensitivities. A mature approach and acceptance of each other is the only real way forward in my view. I'm not sure we are ready for that. I'm not sure I am myself either tbh.

trailer

Quote from: InnocentByStander on September 05, 2023, 10:20:19 AM

This song is in no way about the IRA, the song is about Celtic, the section of the song talking about the IRA is a man recalling the graffiti he sees on the wall.

The IRA done some terrible terrible things, but they were the only people standing up for the second class catholic citizens up here during them days and if it was not for them many many more Catholics would have been killed.

Don't forgot how the troubles started, a civil rights campaign. But sure you southerns wouldn't know that anyway...

Here we go... this bullshit again. The IRA killed more Catholics than any other organisation in the troubles.

Pub Bore

Had to laugh at yer wan on Newstalk yesterday berating young people because they didn't see what she saw during the troubles...on the TV.

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 05, 2023, 11:07:17 AM

Its a fair enough point in general about being offended (though this particular song is not specifically an IRA song).
What I would say though about a United Ireland....it will never be united if we can't respect each other's perspective and narrative on the troubles. It's ok to be offended, we just need to be mature enough to respect another view point and what happened here.
It doesn't help anyone if some part of a community can't express their support for parties they see/saw as their protectors or who were fighting on their behalf. Not talking about it, or not being able to express support for what went on then will make people feel ostracised and could result in more resentment and ultimately more violence.

If we go down the road of not allowing people to express support for the paramilitaries pre-good friday agreement, where does it stop?
We would seriously need to apply the same logic to support for the British Army, remembrance sunday, the wearing of poppies, Easter rising commemorations and the Twelfth. That will never happen as it negates perceived legitimacy of those events or organisations in the past and today.

So when you say these people don't want to do the work to achieve it, do you mean they are not prepared to change their views on their experiences and perception of the troubles to appease the other side?

None of use should have to hide away our views in fear of offending someone else's sensitivities. A mature approach and acceptance of each other is the only real way forward in my view. I'm not sure we are ready for that. I'm not sure I am myself either tbh.

All fair points. But we are looking for roughly 1m ppl to join us in a UI. Surely we could keep a lid on this in order to make them feel welcome or wanted.
If I was in the Republic lets say and Unionists were campaigning to say re-join the Union or commonwealth and then on the other hand singing what is to me offensive songs and demonstrating very little in the way of goodwill or welcoming nature, I'd be well within my rights to tell them to go and f**k themselves.
We can argue about the meaning of the song (I personally haven't actually listened to it in years and always thought it was one of their worst songs) but the perception is (rightly or wrongly) an IRA song. That's the perception in the Unionist community and that is all that matters at the end of the day. Nevermind the vocal Jim Allisters and his ilk, this hits with everyday protestant and unionists who we need to convince and bring with us. If consigning this song and others to the bin is the price we must pay then so be it.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: trailer on September 05, 2023, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on September 05, 2023, 10:20:19 AM

Here we go... this bullshit again. The IRA killed more Catholics than any other organisation in the troubles.

What bullshit? stating they done terrible things which they did and in both sides of the divide.

If it was not for them god knows how catholics would be treated in the North today.