Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on June 01, 2013, 04:00:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2013, 03:20:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2013, 03:06:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2013, 02:11:59 PM
QuoteMcElkennon: RTE has an agenda
31 May 2013

Martin McElkennon suspects RTE is deliberately stirring things up.

Scathing comments made by Sunday Game pundits Joe Brolly and Eamonn O'Hara on successive weekends have attracted more column inches than any of the matches played so far in this year's championship and ace trainer McElkennon believes the national broadcaster is deliberately courting controversy to gain ratings:

"The remarks that some people have made on RTE, there seems to be an agenda there," the Tyrone man - who was himself publicly vilified by Pat Spillane while he was part of the Meath backroom team last year - comments in The Irish News.

"I think that is the best way to describe it - an agenda among some people making sweeping statements that really are only a personal opinion and there's no real facts to back it up.

"That seems the road - for some reason - that RTE is going down. I don't know why. Maybe this has been decided beforehand by the producers of the show to try and get in more viewers.

"If people are talking about it now, maybe that is what they are after. You have boys sitting in studios who have never managed a team - and this is the bit that is getting to me most - boys who have never managed an intercounty team.

"None of them have done it, yet it is very easy to turn around and say 'well I don't do it but, by the way, I will also tell you how it is done' by sitting after the game in a studio and giving your very one-sided opinion.

"I have heard some of the statements over the last few weeks and I have talked to a lot of good GAA men and I have not heard a single man say to me that they are in support of it.

"There is nobody saying to me 'what your man said last Sunday or the Sunday before, wasn't it great to hear?'. People are asking instead: what road are we going down here?'. And you have to wonder where this is going to end up."

http://hoganstand.com/Sligo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=193491

It really is highlighting how startling the lack of knowledge on this issue is when people are still playing the 'Bad RTE' angle and trying to lump O'Hara in with Brolly. You can argue O'Hara had an axe to grind if you want but I highly doubt increasing ratings had anything to do with what he said.

It had to do with him getting asked the question though.

As a viewer I would be absolutely disgusted if a host on analysis show didn't ask the ex-Sligo player on the panel about the state of Sligo football the night they lose to London for the first time in their history. That's basically home run situation for an interviewer. You have to ask the question, of that there should be no doubt.

People have this stupid, inane idea that The Sunday Game, a show about punditry, has some requirement to be objective (an impossible standard in itself) or fair and balanced.

It doesn't. Time for people to get over that fact.

Why is it stupid to expect the Sunday Game to give a fair and balanced analysis of GAA games, teams, managements etc?

Because punditry is subjective by its very nature.

imtommygunn

Why's it subjective by it's nature? You watch a game of football and you set your loyalties aside. Sometimes they shine through but as a PROFESSIONAL it's your job to do your best to set them aside. These guys are professionals. Even Gary Neville can almost come across as objective :-[

That is neither here nor there withO'Hara. He was asked a personal question.

BennyHarp

31 May 2013

Scathing comments made by Sunday Game pundits Joe Brolly and Eamonn O'Hara on successive weekends have attracted more column inches than any of the matches played so far in this year's championship and ace trainer McElkennon believes the national broadcaster is deliberately courting controversy to gain ratings:

"The remarks that some people have made on RTE, there seems to be an agenda there," the Tyrone man - who was himself publicly vilified by Pat Spillane while he was part of the Meath backroom team last year - comments in The Irish News.

"I think that is the best way to describe it - an agenda among some people making sweeping statements that really are only a personal opinion and there's no real facts to back it up.

"That seems the road - for some reason - that RTE is going down. I don't know why. Maybe this has been decided beforehand by the producers of the show to try and get in more viewers.

"If people are talking about it now, maybe that is what they are after. You have boys sitting in studios who have never managed a team - and this is the bit that is getting to me most - boys who have never managed an intercounty team.

"None of them have done it, yet it is very easy to turn around and say 'well I don't do it but, by the way, I will also tell you how it is done' by sitting after the game in a studio and giving your very one-sided opinion.

"I have heard some of the statements over the last few weeks and I have talked to a lot of good GAA men and I have not heard a single man say to me that they are in support of it.

"There is nobody saying to me 'what your man said last Sunday or the Sunday before, wasn't it great to hear?'. People are asking instead: what road are we going down here?'. And you have to wonder where this is going to end up."

It really is highlighting how startling the lack of knowledge on this issue is when people are still playing the 'Bad RTE' angle and trying to lump O'Hara in with Brolly. You can argue O'Hara had an axe to grind if you want but I highly doubt increasing ratings had anything to do with what he said.

As a viewer I would be absolutely disgusted if a host on analysis show didn't ask the ex-Sligo player on the panel about the state of Sligo football the night they lose to London for the first time in their history. That's basically home run situation for an interviewer. You have to ask the question, of that there should be no doubt.

People have this stupid, inane idea that The Sunday Game, a show about punditry, has some requirement to be objective (an impossible standard in itself) or fair and balanced.

Fair enough Syferus, but for me there isnt enough analysis of what happens on the pitch with tactics discussed and opinions expressed about how to overcome systems etc. Theres too much personal attacks and sound bytes. Also, there's too much talking altogether and not enough time spent actually showing the game. I wonder what the time spent showing the London v Sligo game to time spent talking about it (or talking about the sligo situation) ratio was?
That was never a square ball!!

DuffleKing

Here we have the problem in a nutshell. The Sunday Game should not be about punditry. It is about Gaelic games and bringing as much of the top level games to the masses. The problem is that these self publicising pundits and, more importantly, their bosses at RTE think that this idiotic perception is true.

The sunday game in its current game in its current guise feeds the sleeping masses and ignores or at best ridicules people with a decent interest in the games in terms of match coverage and analysis.

The standard of analysis is laughably bad. How past players can be so ineptly informed in current tactic and trends is beyond me. When Brolly goes on his eloquent rambles, the content is largely garbage - utter garbage - and everyone i would chat to football about consider him the village idiot of football analysis.

muppet

31 May 2013

People?

People don't have to 'get over that fact'. Which by the way is not a 'fact'. It is an opinion, something TSG doesn't understand either so you are in good company.

'People' like me simply won't watch the attention seeking garbage anymore.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on June 01, 2013, 06:46:03 PM
31 May 2013

People?

People don't have to 'get over that fact'. Which by the way is not a 'fact'. It is an opinion, something TSG doesn't understand either so you are in good company.

Then don't watch it. The ratings are too high for them to change it in the medium term. This formula works in soccer and rugby so you're really pissing against the wind if you think there's any chance RTE will hire some wilting willows who just want to balance the scales or the GAA's answer to Brian Farrell.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2013, 06:55:52 PM
Then don't watch it. The ratings are too high for them to change it in the medium term. This formula works in soccer and rugby so you're really pissing against the wind if you think there's any chance RTE will hire some wilting willows who just want to balance the scales or the GAA's answer to Brian Farrell.

Any chance of a link to view these 'too high' ratings?

As for the formula in rugby and soccer:

a) it is quite different talking about professionals, particularly those in England who often never even hear Dunphy and co.
b) Hook isn't taken seriously anymore by anyone.
c) You don't hear managers, or ex-players, of top teams criticising the RTE Rugby or Soccer shows as often as you hear their Gaa equivalents  attacking TSG.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

+1.
I just watch the ( all too short biteens of ) action and get up to put the kettle on/go to jacks/put cat out or just go out the door for a while till the gobshites are finished.
God be with the days when Enda Colleran was the only "expert" and he'd give reasons why team A won, team B lost , the tactics that won and lost the game etc etc.
The kind of things people like me want to hear from someone who knows these sort of things.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on June 01, 2013, 09:31:43 PM

+1.
I just watch the ( all too short biteens of ) action and get up to put the kettle on/go to jacks/put cat out or just go out the door for a while till the gobshites are finished.
God be with the days when Enda Colleran was the only "expert" and he'd give reasons why team A won, team B lost , the tactics that won and lost the game etc etc.
The kind of things people like me want to hear from someone who knows these sort of things.

Less faction and more action!
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

I contend that syphilis is just like the Sunday game pundits. Running around talking daft shite for attention. Same with Fearon in his pomp. Even though they talk utter crap you still have to take a look just so you can shake your head and think good god listen to that fool and what he's saying now. Humans must just be hardwired that way.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Scratchy's sense of timing impeccable as usual.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on August 04, 2018, 10:16:39 AM
Quote from: galwayman on May 26, 2013, 09:44:48 PM
O'Hara pulled no punches there on The Sunday Game. And fair play I didn't think he would come out and say too much.

Look how far now Kevin Walsh has come as a manager. As for O'Hara done little in stints as club manager. Imagine he got sligo job after Corey stepping down?

If you want to pretend to be a newbie its probably best not to pulling up posts from 5 years ago.

bennydorano

Where did Muppet go to? Was a prolific poster and upped and gone?

SLIGONIAN

A kerryman interested in Sligo GAA ;D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"