Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 06, 2011, 01:52:10 AM
I watched the first half in the pub and listened to as much as I could of the second half due to a family commitment. Mind you, I had 5 of my family there and their texts were helpful to put context to a what I thought was Gaelic Football at it's best.
Mayo are a passionate crew and I really hope I am in CP when they lift Sam as I expect they will within 5 years.In 1989 I met up with a load of them I had worked with in London and in 91 I really enjoyed the craic with a couple of Swinford men who were disappointed with their minors but delighted with our seniors. As a result I regularly wear a Mayo shirt when coaching and I know there is a Down shirt floatings round Swinford.
First half summary
As anticipated, it was a game of 2 attacks. Dillon and especially Andy Moran were excellent. Ronan Mc Garrity deserves an AI medal as he has done the dirty stuff for years yet is still a class act. I could not fault any of the Down players.Brendy was calm and composed and apart from one palm down Luke Howard was super. Dan did the job and Brannigan gave his all- in the next world if I am in a team I will want a load of Kilcoo men around me. MDG in case you think I am biased I have played with and against many Magpies and Brannigan makes up for his limitations with total commitment.
Mc Kernan will lift Sam as he has grown into a leader. Mc Cartan will improve and I think there is a defender in Mc Polin. I thought MF showed their usual mix of brain and brawn and even when Ambrose returns they are two good men. No need to talk about the 6 lads up front as they are wonderful. I am like a broken record but John Clarke is one of the most under appreciated Down players ever.
A point was critical and looking forward to hearing the Galway Girl as the only thing the men from the West will get out of Pairc Esler.

Cant understand your view on McKernan after a shocking display by him last night - do agree McPolin looks a propsect. Always rated John Clarke too but again he was poor last night.
Foolish to write-off Galway who always have class forwards and our defence is makeshift at this stage.
Fierce tame altogether

whitegoodman

McKernan was dreadful and mcpolin has alot to learn but has potential.

clarke should be dropped for murtagh

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Leo on February 06, 2011, 01:26:08 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 06, 2011, 01:52:10 AM
I watched the first half in the pub and listened to as much as I could of the second half due to a family commitment. Mind you, I had 5 of my family there and their texts were helpful to put context to a what I thought was Gaelic Football at it's best.
Mayo are a passionate crew and I really hope I am in CP when they lift Sam as I expect they will within 5 years.In 1989 I met up with a load of them I had worked with in London and in 91 I really enjoyed the craic with a couple of Swinford men who were disappointed with their minors but delighted with our seniors. As a result I regularly wear a Mayo shirt when coaching and I know there is a Down shirt floatings round Swinford.
First half summary
As anticipated, it was a game of 2 attacks. Dillon and especially Andy Moran were excellent. Ronan Mc Garrity deserves an AI medal as he has done the dirty stuff for years yet is still a class act. I could not fault any of the Down players.Brendy was calm and composed and apart from one palm down Luke Howard was super. Dan did the job and Brannigan gave his all- in the next world if I am in a team I will want a load of Kilcoo men around me. MDG in case you think I am biased I have played with and against many Magpies and Brannigan makes up for his limitations with total commitment.
Mc Kernan will lift Sam as he has grown into a leader. Mc Cartan will improve and I think there is a defender in Mc Polin. I thought MF showed their usual mix of brain and brawn and even when Ambrose returns they are two good men. No need to talk about the 6 lads up front as they are wonderful. I am like a broken record but John Clarke is one of the most under appreciated Down players ever.
A point was critical and looking forward to hearing the Galway Girl as the only thing the men from the West will get out of Pairc Esler.

Cant understand your view on McKernan after a shocking display by him last night - do agree McPolin looks a propsect. Always rated John Clarke too but again he was poor last night.
Foolish to write-off Galway who always have class forwards and our defence is makeshift at this stage.

Which of Galway's forwards would you rate as 'class' (bearing in mind that P Joyce, N Joyce and Meehan aren't on the panel at the moment)?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Cosmo Kramer

Stories doing the rounds that Freeman broke a bone in his hand and will miss the rest of the league - big blow for us if that is true.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 05, 2011, 09:30:42 PM
Mayo analysis...where do you start.

The backs looked in trouble early on, but other than the defender's slip (think it was Hallinan but I'm open to correction) for the second goal, there was just a lot of bad luck involved in the Down goals.

That was Higgins that got rounded Cosmo, after a poor kickout from O Malley.
I thought that O Malley should have done better for the first goal too as it bounced in front of him and skidded into the net.

Cosmo Kramer

Actually we were both wrong,  I've seen it again since and it was Tom Cunniffe who got rounded by Coulter and then slipped to let him in. To be fair to Tom he kept Coulter scoreless which is something not many of his markers will achieve this season. I don't think O'Malley had any chance at all with the first goal, it flew in off McGarritys shin and he was standing right in front of O'Malley.

Farrandeelin

At half time I really did fear the worst, but as has been stated before, Mayo dominated midfield in the second half. I thought Gibbons was better than McGarrity however, but then again he dropped a fair bit of ball in the first half. I will also admit to have been critical of Parsons in the past, but by Jays last night he fairly made up for it. He was brilliant when he came on. I think that if Mayo hadn't conceded that opening goal we could have actually won the game as that goal seemed to scare the bejaysus of all our 6 defenders in the first half bar Keith Higgins.

Second half was a different story altogether, whether it was a case of Down not been able to keep the tempo going for the whole game or not is another thing but credit must be given to Mayo who fought back well and the halfback line in particular must be given top marks for getting tighter to their men. All I was looking for was a good performance last night and I have to say that's what I got in the second half.

As RGS stated I thought we could go on to win the game and it was a pity Gardiner shot wide right at the end but a draw was a fair result.

PS By God, Down's passing in the first half was brilliant to watch.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 06, 2011, 03:38:53 PM
At half time I really did fear the worst, but as has been stated before, Mayo dominated midfield in the second half. I thought Gibbons was better than McGarrity however, but then again he dropped a fair bit of ball in the first half. I will also admit to have been critical of Parsons in the past, but by Jays last night he fairly made up for it. He was brilliant when he came on. I think that if Mayo hadn't conceded that opening goal we could have actually won the game as that goal seemed to scare the bejaysus of all our 6 defenders in the first half bar Keith Higgins.

Second half was a different story altogether, whether it was a case of Down not been able to keep the tempo going for the whole game or not is another thing but credit must be given to Mayo who fought back well and the halfback line in particular must be given top marks for getting tighter to their men. All I was looking for was a good performance last night and I have to say that's what I got in the second half.

As RGS stated I thought we could go on to win the game and it was a pity Gardiner shot wide right at the end but a draw was a fair result.

Agree about the brilliance of the passing but even some of the Down supporters around me were annoyed that they were playing too much short game. They keep the ball brilliantly but are they getting the most out of their quality in the forwards? There was a hint of good fortune about more than one of their goals and their point total at the end was modest enough.
However we could learn a lot from what they do well and will need to if we re to progress and be a serious summer team.
I d be surprised if Freeman hasn t broken his hand because that is what it looked like - probably a metacarpal. Major loss.
Would be happy with nearly everybody individually. And the team showed great resolve to battle on  when things were going bad. To concede 3 bad goals and rescue a league point is good going. And really should have snaffled it at the end.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 06, 2011, 02:48:10 PM
Actually we were both wrong,  I've seen it again since and it was Tom Cunniffe who got rounded by Coulter and then slipped to let him in. To be fair to Tom he kept Coulter scoreless which is something not many of his markers will achieve this season. I don't think O'Malley had any chance at all with the first goal, it flew in off McGarritys shin and he was standing right in front of O'Malley.

I was working from memory on that one. Ya Cunniffe did Ok, however a lot of ball and scores went through Benny Coulter. He seemed to set up a fair bit.

Great game though, very exciting and it was fantastic to see Mayo play with such heart and passion.

Ill post more thoughts tomorrow.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone sitting near the gang of Americans in the stand? Hilarious. As one fella said there's more entertainment behind me than in front of me
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

thewobbler

Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2011, 04:39:02 PM

Agree about the brilliance of the passing but even some of the Down supporters around me were annoyed that they were playing too much short game. They keep the ball brilliantly but are they getting the most out of their quality in the forwards? There was a hint of good fortune about more than one of their goals and their point total at the end was modest enough.
However we could learn a lot from what they do well and will need to if we re to progress and be a serious summer team.
I d be surprised if Freeman hasn t broken his hand because that is what it looked like - probably a metacarpal. Major loss.
Would be happy with nearly everybody individually. And the team showed great resolve to battle on  when things were going bad. To concede 3 bad goals and rescue a league point is good going. And really should have snaffled it at the end.

I wouldn't worry about a handful of spectators shouting about getting it in first time. There's an amazing number of people at Down club and county games who believe their team will score every time the ball is lumped in aimlessly to the full forwards. I've heard any number of numbnuts complain that their 10 point victory 'could be even more impressive' with direct football every time. I'd go so far as to say it's an illness in our county - but thankfully one that Wee James doesn't suffer from.

moysider

Quote from: thewobbler on February 06, 2011, 08:49:41 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2011, 04:39:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about a handful of spectators shouting about getting it in first time. There's an amazing number of people at Down club and county games who believe their team will score every time the ball is lumped in aimlessly to the full forwards. I've heard any number of numbnuts complain that their 10 point victory 'could be even more impressive' with direct football every time. I'd go so far as to say it's an illness in our county - but thankfully one that Wee James doesn't suffer from.

I know what you re saying and we all have the 'let it in first  time' brigade. As I ve said I thought Downs passing and ball retention was great. But the scoring return was not there. Essentially as an outsider  I believe that is down to the personnel inside. I also believe that Down would have won AI in Sept. if they could have isolated Coulter one on one inside more often and give him earlier ball. The guy inside with him needs to be more dynamic than John Clarke. Maybe a Comiskey. Down are essentially a counterattacking side and will be very difficult to hold if they can get the proper balance in the inside 2. 

highorlow

QuoteMcGarrity should just be told to stay out around midfield anymore!

He should be told t stay at home.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on February 06, 2011, 10:50:16 PM
QuoteMcGarrity should just be told to stay out around midfield anymore!

He should be told t stay at home.

Eh, why so?

stephenite

Indeed, I was impressed with McGarrity. In fact there were few, if any on the Mayo team that should be told to stay at home, most impressed or at least offered glimpses to be given another go.

Having slept on it I still think Feeney was very impressive, a couple of well timed shoulders were excellent to watch