Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Are they showing highlights on rte 2 now? Didn't see any proper highlights of the game yet. The spent 30 minutes of an hour long show talking about Cork and Kerry  ::)

REDCOL

Swimming in Water with people who hadn't the same integrity as I had - Tommy  Lyons on not getting the Mayo Job.

AbbeySider

tommy Lyons was asked was he disappointed he didn't get the Mayo job... he said:
"I was swimming in water with people who didn't have the same integrity as I had ?
WTF did tommy Lyons mean by that?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: highorlow on February 06, 2011, 10:50:16 PM
QuoteMcGarrity should just be told to stay out around midfield anymore!

He should be told t stay at home.

That's very harsh, he won a lot of ball in the second half and used it well, i.e. didn't kick pass.
The lads boots should be taken off him
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 06, 2011, 11:34:00 PM
Are they showing highlights on rte 2 now? Didn't see any proper highlights of the game yet. The spent 30 minutes of an hour long show talking about Cork and Kerry  ::)

Typical RTE wankers, showing 3 mins of the game  >:(

venter

good game. Brilliant effort by Dillon to free himself from 4 tacklers to set up Mcloughlins score. Freeman looks to have massive potential. He wins his ball and drives at the defence every chance he gets.  I dont know whats happening with A O'Se. Anytime he did actually win the ball cleanly (which was rear), he went to ground, and then didnt have the leg strength / fitness to spring back up.
Would like to see O'Connor get a decent run in the league, probably at the expense of Ronaldson

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on February 06, 2011, 11:30:39 PM
Indeed, I was impressed with McGarrity. In fact there were few, if any on the Mayo team that should be told to stay at home, most impressed or at least offered glimpses to be given another go.

Having slept on it I still think Feeney was very impressive, a couple of well timed shoulders were excellent to watch

Exactly. Nobody on that team should be told to stay at home. Not saying that s the first 15 or anything and it is early days. Like you I thought Feeney was impressive. I was disappointed he was replaced - and if I may be negative for brief- i didn't think the first 2 subs changed anything. I was pleased with Feeney, but minutes before he was replaced a friend nearby pointed out that he had given loads of ball away coming out. Maybe - and I must watch the recording -  but what he did wrong can be sorted, and what he did right, we need. The substitutions that did work were Parsons and O Connor. Parsons is class. But we cant get carried away. He gave a cameo when Down midfielders were blowing hard, even beyond flagging, for ten minutes. McGar gave 70 and Gibbons a very decent 60. I expect Parsons to drive on and be a full- game player. Happily Horan gave young Cillian the deeper role that eventually is where he will end up.

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 06, 2011, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 06, 2011, 02:48:10 PM
Actually we were both wrong,  I've seen it again since and it was Tom Cunniffe who got rounded by Coulter and then slipped to let him in. To be fair to Tom he kept Coulter scoreless which is something not many of his markers will achieve this season. I don't think O'Malley had any chance at all with the first goal, it flew in off McGarritys shin and he was standing right in front of O'Malley.

I was working from memory on that one.Ya Cunniffe did Ok, however a lot of ball and scores went through Benny Coulter. He seemed to set up a fair bit.

Great game though, very exciting and it was fantastic to see Mayo play with such heart and passion.

Ill post more thoughts tomorrow.

Just from the short highlights, Coulter was walking through for the down 2nd & 3rd goals to set them up. He was causing awful problems

On another note bjp seemed to do ok for Armagh, fair play

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 07, 2011, 12:00:05 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on February 06, 2011, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 06, 2011, 02:48:10 PM
Actually we were both wrong,  I've seen it again since and it was Tom Cunniffe who got rounded by Coulter and then slipped to let him in. To be fair to Tom he kept Coulter scoreless which is something not many of his markers will achieve this season. I don't think O'Malley had any chance at all with the first goal, it flew in off McGarritys shin and he was standing right in front of O'Malley.

I was working from memory on that one.Ya Cunniffe did Ok, however a lot of ball and scores went through Benny Coulter. He seemed to set up a fair bit.

Great game though, very exciting and it was fantastic to see Mayo play with such heart and passion.

Ill post more thoughts tomorrow.

Just from the short highlights, Coulter was walking through for the down 2nd & 3rd goals to set them up. He was causing awful problems

On another note bjp seemed to do ok for Armagh, fair play

I m not surprised Billy Joe did ok. No more than Costello in Sligo. I don t think it takes rocket science to work it out. Hopefully Horan can.

Of course Coulter will walk through. If he gets ball and space he ll kill anybody. There is nobody in this county or any county that will stop him without taking his head off if he gets good ball in space.Or dropping ball 1 on 1. On the other hand most of Down 's scores were counter attack where Mayo turned over watery stuff. Must watch the video and see but I suspect that Down got very few scores from winning kickouts and finishing the play. Mayo gave them so much soft wayward ball they will be disappointed they did not close out that game easily. We played no sweeper or anything.

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 06, 2011, 11:41:53 PM
tommy Lyons was asked was he disappointed he didn't get the Mayo job... he said:
"I was swimming in water with people who didn't have the same integrity as I had ?
WTF did tommy Lyons mean by that?

It means he was made walk the plank in the interview...................and the plank broke.
MWWSI 2017

Mayo4Sam

I'd be interested to see how many frees we turned over immediately, first half was riddled with them. I wouldnt let a great second half disguise a melodian first, as bad as anything we've seen from Mayo.
And you'd have to ask how AOS made 15 mins never mind the full game, I like the lad but sat nite was terrible.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Leo

Great welcome in Castlebar Mitchels for al Down supporters - class act - well done.
Fierce tame altogether

StoneWall

Setanta are showing highlights this evening at 5 and 8. Also showing tomorrow evening at 5:30.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2011, 11:57:43 PM
Quote from: stephenite on February 06, 2011, 11:30:39 PM
Indeed, I was impressed with McGarrity. In fact there were few, if any on the Mayo team that should be told to stay at home, most impressed or at least offered glimpses to be given another go.

Having slept on it I still think Feeney was very impressive, a couple of well timed shoulders were excellent to watch

Exactly. Nobody on that team should be told to stay at home. Not saying that s the first 15 or anything and it is early days. Like you I thought Feeney was impressive. I was disappointed he was replaced - and if I may be negative for brief- i didn't think the first 2 subs changed anything. I was pleased with Feeney, but minutes before he was replaced a friend nearby pointed out that he had given loads of ball away coming out. Maybe - and I must watch the recording -  but what he did wrong can be sorted, and what he did right, we need. The substitutions that did work were Parsons and O Connor. Parsons is class. But we cant get carried away. He gave a cameo when Down midfielders were blowing hard, even beyond flagging, for ten minutes. McGar gave 70 and Gibbons a very decent 60. I expect Parsons to drive on and be a full- game player. Happily Horan gave young Cillian the deeper role that eventually is where he will end up.

Just a couple of points about the match, agree about Aidan O Shea, he looks to be short on confidence, but i still maintain he isn't athletic enough to play center forward. he goes to ground too easilt and his ball retention when it is played into him was almost zero. i know he is young and still learning, but maybe a while away from the senior team would do him no harm, give him a chance to develop away from the bright lights. Gibbons in midield, gave a display of fielding that was great given the conditions, his midfield partner need to take a few notes- pretty ppor shift for a lad who has been around for a while, his poor kick to nothing in the dying minutes when the scores were level summed up his night. Freeman,Dillon and Andy Moran brought the fight to the Down men when we needed a lift. Ger at center back did nothing wrong either and Richie feeney hit hard and can improve. Overall a bit hit and miss, a few more misses than hits maybe, but early days yet.

On a different note, is Saturday night football under floodlights and a half filled stand enough reason to put all the clubs in the county in debt for years to come? for me, a white elephant which has served someones ego trip.

Lar Naparka

I had to make do with the commentary from Mid West and the extended highlights on Setanta to form an opinion on the game but I am happy with what I've seen and heard so far.
Above all else, the lethargy that characterised the display against Sligo and to a lesser extent the one against Longford has disappeared. I was especially heartened by the attitude of the older hands that featured in the disastrous championship games last season. Dillon, Gardiner, Parsons and McGarrity and indeed all the others concerned seem to have re-discovered a bit of pride in the jersey.

We'll see what the future has to offer in its own good time but we made a commendable start o n Saturday night.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi