Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on February 05, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
Jes just listened to that on the radio. Sounds like Down were brutal in the 2nd half - de ja voo from the AI final against Cork.  Did Mayo win every kickout in the 2nd half? Midfield could be a problem during this league campaign if Dan stays in full back and Ambrose is still recovering.

Sounded close to it alright.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Just got a call from McHale Park, sounded like the Down passing in the first half was unreal, brilliant stuff.

Cosmo Kramer

Mayo analysis...where do you start.

The backs looked in trouble early on, but other than the defender's slip (think it was Hallinan but I'm open to correction) for the second goal, there was just a lot of bad luck involved in the Down goals. McGarrity should just be told to stay out around midfield anymore! Keith Higgins had a very good game and I definitely want to see more of Feeney because he showed potential tonight, a right tough defender's defender. McLoughlin was good going forward, a bit loose at the back, Caff was decent enough without standing out. Cunniffe played well too.

Mayo owned midfield in the second half (and much of the first half) which was great to see. Was that the Down midfield from last year? Impressive if it was. McGarrity was excellent when he wasn't scoring own goals, Gibbons has the makings of a top class inter county player and Parsons took up where Gibbons left off when he came on. Best Mayo midfield performance Ive seen in a good while.

Andy Moran was the star man in the forwards, 6 points including a few great long range frees. Varley hit a monster point from in front of the stand, won a few frees and played very well over all. Dillon played very well in a playmaker role. Didn't work for O'Shea tonight, Dan Gordon had his number, but Freeman was class as well - the forward line needs to be built around him this year.

Horan was happy enough in the post match interview, lamenting the Gardiner miss at the end though, Andy Moran came across well and spoke about the need to get out of the blocks quicker in future but said that they always feel they know how to come back from a deficit. McCartan was fairly downbeat, felt the same old problems were showing their heads again this year for them.

If Mayo keep playing like that we should have too much about us to get relegated anyway, although we will have to play two of the other relegation favourites, Monaghan and Galway away. Encouraging start tonight though.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on February 05, 2011, 09:04:32 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 05, 2011, 09:03:07 PM
Gardiner should have won it, didn't, but its a draw. Great comeback and a great game.

It was a great game just watching this thread. Must have been some game to be at.

Hope the Down lads there enjoy the local hospitality.

I thought you where living in Castlebar or close to it? i would do anything to see the Rossies in Divsion 1 action again.. 8/9 years ago seems like a distance memory now but i never missed a home game.

Anyways sounded like a great game & two good draws for the Connacht teams today.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

REDCOL

Just home from the match, a great nights entertainment. Down played some lovely football in the first half with Dnny Hughes and Martin Clarke tormenting us. Jason Gibbons and Andy Moran were our stand out performers early on, and when Alan Freeman went CF he really took hold of the game. Our backs looked in all sorts of trouble in the first half with the exception of Keith Higgins.  We started the second half really well with complete midfield dominance and came back to within 2 points only to be hit with a sucker punch of a goal. The team lifted it very well again and were probably a little unlucky not to win. Star Men - Jason Gibons, Alan Freeman, and MOM Andy Moran. Backs improved in second half and Dillon and Varley also played ok. I think Aidan O Se should be left with the U-21 to rediscover form / fitness, wasnt at his best tonight.
   Overall, pretty good display and a lot more heart /character than we saw towards the end of last year.

Highlander3

We ended up lucky to get a draw in a game that for a long time looked like we would win easily.

Still it is good to get a point to start of the league.

I thought we got cleaned out in MF, bit like the All Ireland again.

Thought we were weak at the back with only Dan and Luke Howard impressing.

Up front they all had there moments, but still think that John Clarke is missing a bit of pace for this level.

Still not a bad start as i think our team will get better as the summer goes on and we are playing on harder pitches.

Of the new guys compared to last year, i would say only L Howard really helped himself today.

RedandGreenSniper

A result I would have taken at half-time but was looking for a win with five minutes to go. A few good things and bad things from the game. It is only early doors but we showed a decent amount of desire when the hunger got going in the second half. A bit too ragged in the first half and lucky to be only 4 down at the break. Dillon, Moran and Freeman were superb. Gibbons showed plenty of what he can do too and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with Tom Parsons' contribution off the bench.

I wonder did a certain Mayo bookies take a lot of bets on Mayo this week? :P
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Pangurban

Good result given that 5 off our first choice back 6 were missing, and the weather conditions, we are a dry hard ground team

Dubh driocht

I watched the first half in the pub and listened to as much as I could of the second half due to a family commitment. Mind you, I had 5 of my family there and their texts were helpful to put context to a what I thought was Gaelic Football at it's best.
Mayo are a passionate crew and I really hope I am in CP when they lift Sam as I expect they will within 5 years.In 1989 I met up with a load of them I had worked with in London and in 91 I really enjoyed the craic with a couple of Swinford men who were disappointed with their minors but delighted with our seniors. As a result I regularly wear a Mayo shirt when coaching and I know there is a Down shirt floatings round Swinford.
First half summary
As anticipated, it was a game of 2 attacks. Dillon and especially Andy Moran were excellent. Ronan Mc Garrity deserves an AI medal as he has done the dirty stuff for years yet is still a class act. I could not fault any of the Down players.Brendy was calm and composed and apart from one palm down Luke Howard was super. Dan did the job and Brannigan gave his all- in the next world if I am in a team I will want a load of Kilcoo men around me. MDG in case you think I am biased I have played with and against many Magpies and Brannigan makes up for his limitations with total commitment.
Mc Kernan will lift Sam as he has grown into a leader. Mc Cartan will improve and I think there is a defender in Mc Polin. I thought MF showed their usual mix of brain and brawn and even when Ambrose returns they are two good men. No need to talk about the 6 lads up front as they are wonderful. I am like a broken record but John Clarke is one of the most under appreciated Down players ever.
A point was critical and looking forward to hearing the Galway Girl as the only thing the men from the West will get out of Pairc Esler.

SHEEDY

what a game to start life in div1. thought for a long time we were going to win easy and then at the end happy with the point. bit disappointed to only get 7pts on the board. if we had got 10 or 11pts along with the 3goals we might have been able to keep our noses in front. credit has to go to both teams.
nil satis nisi optimum

Cosmo Kramer

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

stephenite

Just watched the game on D'telly there, good match with some nice football from both teams. From a Mayo point of view I was very impressed with Feeney and sorry to see him go off

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on February 06, 2011, 11:29:28 AM
Just watched the game on D'telly there, good match with some nice football from both teams. From a Mayo point of view I was very impressed with Feeney and sorry to see him go off

I thought Richie Feeney was Mayo's best half-back in the first forty minutes at a stage when Down's half-forward line was on top. Ger Caff and Kevin McLoughlin were both struggling and a bit too loose. But in the second half both these two started getting tighter to their men and putting them on the back foot. Both were instrumental in the late comeback. I hope Feeney was taken off for similar reasons that Gibbons might have been - that management were happy with what they had done and didn't need to see anymore on that night.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year