Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

I am not defending racism or homophobia.  I am however understanding of why it exists.

Maybe I spent too much time trying to explain myself instead of being blunt.

People suck.  Everywhere you go there are bad people and good people.  This is not dependent on skin colour, age, body fat percentage, sexual orientation or religion or whatever else we can discriminate against.  People just suck.

As people we tend to generalize.  This leads to discrimination.
Therefore the problem isn't racism or homophobia  - its generalizing.

What's the answer?

I don't think its overly complicated.

Peace.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggysego

Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2010, 02:08:31 PM

That's a rather simplistic and naive notion you have there.
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

Quote from: ziggysego on February 10, 2010, 02:11:40 PM

How so?

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2010, 03:22:28 PM

How so?

Maybe stereotyping would be a better word?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on February 10, 2010, 03:28:37 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2010, 03:22:28 PM

How so?

Maybe stereotyping would be a better word?

Maybe.

gallsman

Quote from: tyssam5 on February 09, 2010, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 09, 2010, 02:41:23 PM
This Olly chap appears to be something of a sanctimonious ****. Read into that what you will. It's not personal abuse if you don't know what it says.  :)

Wouldn't care in the slightest if kids came home with boyfriends or girlfriends of a different skin colour. As long as we're not talking about gangbangers or drug dealers or the like.

If a son or daughter was gay would I feel disappointed? Yes. Would it mean I loved the any less? No.

Top quality bit of non-racism there!  :D :D :D :D

Nothing racist about being realistic. For example, if I lived in LA and my daughter came home with a black man, I'd much prefer him to be Barack Obama than Boyz in the Hood.

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 09, 2010, 07:59:48 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2010, 07:55:32 PM
I find it very hard to believe that any man on this board, or in Ireland for that matter, would not be taken aback and disappointed if they found out their son was gay. If you say it wouldn't annoy you in the slightest then I'd call you a liar.

I would have no problems whatsoever with any of my sons taking home woman of any colour.
I think taken aback would be a reasonable enough emotion?  Disapointed?  I can say with certainty I wouldn't be disappointed.  I still don't understand what exactly yous are disappointed about.

No grandchildren for one.

ludermor

They could adopt or buy a kid in africa like Madonna

The Iceman

Major Irony here.

People come on and see its not ok to be anti anything or unsympathetic towards colours, religions, sexual orientation.

But in doing so you are anti conservative yourself.

Why can't conservatives be left alone to their opinions.  Conservatives have just as many rights as gay people or people who choose to get abortions or whatever the case may be.

There is discrimination in many shapes and forms.

By standing up against one you discriminate another...................

Thats life. Thats what the people say......................

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Aerlik on February 10, 2010, 12:54:59 PM
Some of the most racist people I have met in Oz are Irish backpackers who have done the obligatory Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Darmin, and Perth city route without once ever spending any time in an indigenous community.  Then to hear them spout shite about the aborigines - it makes me sick and on many occasions I have interrupted them during their vitriolic diatribes and asked them to explain the basis for their opinions.   They've never been able to. Never once have I heard one person say they spent time in Waluna, Halls Creek or Fitzroy Crossing, Alice Springs, Hermannsburg, Katherine, Cairns or Weipa.

Folks, if or when you come to this continent, keep your mouths shut about aborigines.  Trusting the words of the other racists in this country is no sound basis for your "opinions".

Dont be so patronising!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gallsman

Quote from: ludermor on February 10, 2010, 05:38:46 PM

That brings up a separate issue. Are you homophobic if you disagree with homosexual couples raising children? I know I don't agree with it, yet I don't consider myself homophobic and happen to have several gay friends.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2010, 05:36:47 PM
I find it very hard to believe that any man on this board, or in Ireland for that matter, would not be taken aback and disappointed if they found out their son was gay. If you say it wouldn't annoy you in the slightest then I'd call you a liar.

I would have no problems whatsoever with any of my sons taking home woman of any colour.
I think taken aback would be a reasonable enough emotion?  Disapointed?  I can say with certainty I wouldn't be disappointed.  I still don't understand what exactly yous are disappointed about.

aye but that's about it.

Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2010, 06:10:24 PM

That brings up a separate issue. Are you homophobic if you disagree with homosexual couples raising children? I know I don't agree with it, yet I don't consider myself homophobic and happen to have several gay friends.
we've been through this on the board before and I've yet to hear one good reason why they shouldn't. 
In fact every argument used would have been used against single parent families 20 years ago.

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 10, 2010, 06:13:27 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2010, 05:36:47 PM

aye but that's about it.

Quote from: gallsman on February 10, 2010, 06:10:24 PM

we've been through this on the board before and I've yet to hear one good reason why they shouldn't. 
In fact every argument used would have been used against single parent families 20 years ago.

You asked why someone would be disappointed and I gave you a reason that you apparently find acceptable/understandable. Where's the issue? Ideally I would like my sons to grow up receiving a good education, form a loving relationship with a good woman and raise a fine family I could be proud of.

pintsofguinness

Not sure what you're asking me gallsman.

rosnarun

Quotewe've been through this on the board before and I've yet to hear one good reason why they shouldn't.

and what a wonderful addition to society that has been.
some day chart a graph for yourself marking the rise in crime and the rise in single parent families and add 2 and 2 together
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere