Antrim v Down

Started by knockitdown, July 10, 2011, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 11, 2011, 09:20:11 PM
you could be right about rafferty although i thought i saw Gerrard McCartan warming up along the line the other day.

Would be important for them, Danny and Ambrose to get some game time before Cork on the basis that we manage to get over the tough test that will be Antrim on saturday night.

Antrim dressing room wall stuff.

snoopdog

I know its hard not to think beyond this game but focus needs to be 100% on Antrim.
Down have stumbled many times in these situations.
We have been humiliated before to lesser teams than Antrim.
Its only 2 years since they were in an Ulster Final as opposed to Our 8,
still firmly believe that it was a mistake by the GAA to make the final round draw.

whitegoodman

Quote from: AQMP on July 12, 2011, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: whitegoodman on July 11, 2011, 09:20:11 PM
you could be right about rafferty although i thought i saw Gerrard McCartan warming up along the line the other day.

Would be important for them, Danny and Ambrose to get some game time before Cork on the basis that we manage to get over the tough test that will be Antrim on saturday night.

Antrim dressing room wall stuff.

Yea baker is going to come on here, print this out and stick it up on the dressing room wall  ???

If he is using a gaa discussion forum for motivating his players yas are struggling.

imtommygunn

I doubt he'll be needing much from on here... Minnows of ulster football play all ireland finalists. It's a chance to get to the quarter finals for first time ever too.

I don't know what to make of this game. Antrim will get hammered based on the form against Carlow but I think the Carlow game told us a few home truths about who our best fron 6 is so hopefully that will stand to us.

It'll go one of two ways - Antrim will get beat by about 10 + points or win by 1 or 2...

Down would be strong favourites but all to play for. I worry about Down forwards but their midfield and defense is average enough so I guess if we do our best to starve the forwards then the chance could be there.

whitegoodman

If the 2 mccourty's, mick magill, andy mcclean and a fully fit mick mccann were availiable id get Antrim a very decent chance.  Antrim dont have the squad to be able to overcome players like that, in fact very few teams could do without arguable 3 of their best forwards, their FB and undoubtably their best midfielder.

Hope Paddy Cunningham starts too!!!

imtommygunn

I think Richard Johnston is doing as good a job as McLean ever did to be honest. One McGourty unfortunately injured and the other ones needs no more press.

Magill is good but I wouldn't be entirely sure he'd be on the 15 either so I'm not sure how big losses they all are. I'd like to see a lot more of Dougan at 14.

McCann should be available saturday though unfortunately I don't think Kevin O'Boyle will be and he's a big loss.

If cunningham doesn't start then I don't know - the frees we missed last weekend with him off for shocking!!

whitegoodman

Havnt seen much of Johnston or Dougan so Il take ur word for it.  Always thought Magill offered a physical presence that Antrim often lacked.  Maybe Dougan provides the same physicality.  Would also allow Niblock to play further out the field where IMO he is alot more effective.

If all forwards were fit would Cunningham be in ur first 6?  Cant carry a player for frees these days imo.  If CJ was fit I def wouldnt have Cunningham starting but thats just an opinion looking from the outside.

bcarrier

I 'd go with

mc veigh
d mccartan    gordon    mc ardle
garvey       rooney            doyle
          king      mckernan
hughes        poland      maginn
lavery        coulter     clarke

imtommygunn

If you have someone who can hit the easy frees at least then I would agree you can't carry players for frees but when you can't score any, no matter how easy, frees then you have to carry a free taker.

Cunningham is small and was being played as nearly our only outlet. Teams were doubling up on him and the blanket defense is tougher for him with his size but in the main he was being doubled up against. If we'd more presence in FF then I think he'd be grand (e.g. Dougan). Niblock has to be CHF in my view as well.

Cunningham is easily within the best 6 in the county - our style of play and our inability to counteract the sweeper system was really his downfall for being dropped recently. He was maybe getting a bit cocky too which didn't help his cause...

We don't conventionally play 6 forwards either - a wing half forward usually goes back. Moving to man on man in the forwards was however how we overcame Carlow so maybe we'll remain like that but personally I wouldn't like to see Benny Coulter isolated one on one with anyone.

whitegoodman

Quote from: bcarrier on July 12, 2011, 03:40:22 PM
I 'd go with

mc veigh
d mccartan    gordon    mc ardle
garvey       rooney            doyle
          king      mckernan
hughes        poland      maginn
lavery        coulter     clarke

Id be happy enough with that.

Simon Says

I agree with alot of the comments,if we can nulify downs attack then we will have a chance, because there own defence is poor and i feel we can get joy from dan gordon as it is not his natural position.cunningham offers nothing from play though and we cant afford to carry someone who can only kick frees, and totally agree a fully fit cj mc gourty have there anytime, he showed against tyrone last year he can do it from play and is always good for a goal as shown in previous championship campaigns, and is a reliable free taker for his club team. i feel the likes of johnston, mc sorley, crozier will all be found out against better teams such as down. coulter is a different kettle of fish altogether for johnston. and mclean is a much better footballer than johnston and can mix it up in terms of going with the physical approach and has mark coulter before. the reason antrim were so poor at midfield was due to the poor kickouts from the new lad mc sorley. This all would need to improve pronto for saturday! Rant over!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: PatDaly on July 11, 2011, 05:39:09 PM
Match referee is Padraig Hughes from Armagh.

Oh.
Shit.

Last time that clown referee'd a match I was at, he completely screwed our club in the ulster championship.

Biased and/or completely incompetent.
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

Quote from: Simon Says on July 12, 2011, 05:13:16 PM
I agree with alot of the comments,if we can nulify downs attack then we will have a chance, because there own defence is poor and i feel we can get joy from dan gordon as it is not his natural position.cunningham offers nothing from play though and we cant afford to carry someone who can only kick frees, and totally agree a fully fit cj mc gourty have there anytime, he showed against tyrone last year he can do it from play and is always good for a goal as shown in previous championship campaigns, and is a reliable free taker for his club team. i feel the likes of johnston, mc sorley, crozier will all be found out against better teams such as down. coulter is a different kettle of fish altogether for johnston. and mclean is a much better footballer than johnston and can mix it up in terms of going with the physical approach and has mark coulter before. the reason antrim were so poor at midfield was due to the poor kickouts from the new lad mc sorley. This all would need to improve pronto for saturday! Rant over!

I don't see any difference between McLean and Johnston - dunno what it is with McLean but I just have never seen what everyone else seems to have. Although he has done a good job on Coulter for St Gall so from that regard a loss...

Cunningham has to be on. As I stated don the other thread start of second half Baker puts Cunningham on and we win or leaves him on the bench and we lose. I have no doubt in my mind that no Cunningham on Saturday and we were beat.

Dunno why you say Crozier will be found out. McSorley being found out is kind of harsh though his kickouts would need to improve.

Anyway Antrim will be nowhere near Down if they don't improve and improve drastically but I think they can / will.

Stevie g 8

Down should win with a bit to spare and give cork a good game .Benny coulter was on fire last Saturday and will be hard to handle

NP 76

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 12, 2011, 01:31:12 PM
I doubt he'll be needing much from on here... Minnows of ulster football play all ireland finalists. It's a chance to get to the quarter finals for first time ever too.
I think there is another game before the quarter final stage Tommy is there not
]