Antrim v Down

Started by knockitdown, July 10, 2011, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

In good conditions the better prepared and more skilful team will generally win. Obviously we in Down would like to think that we are that team. No disrespect to Antrim but it is natural to want to believe you are better than the opposition.

However the weather forecast for Saturday is horrendous with rain solidly from Thursday onwards and heavy rain during the match. Those conditions will be a real leveller. Antrim will have a great chance as skill levels will be reduced and work effort will be increasingly important. Scoring is also not normally high in bad weather so it is likely that no killer lead will be built up.

I would be far from writing of Antrim at this stage.

AQMP

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 12, 2011, 01:22:07 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 12, 2011, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: whitegoodman on July 11, 2011, 09:20:11 PM
you could be right about rafferty although i thought i saw Gerrard McCartan warming up along the line the other day.

Would be important for them, Danny and Ambrose to get some game time before Cork on the basis that we manage to get over the tough test that will be Antrim on saturday night.

Antrim dressing room wall stuff.

Yea baker is going to come on here, print this out and stick it up on the dressing room wall  ???

If he is using a gaa discussion forum for motivating his players yas are struggling.

Is this a serious post?

whitegoodman

Is that a "serious" question??

If you care to elaborate on what ur point is u might get a "serious" answer.

DownFanatic

From Hoganstand

Antrim v Down, Casement Park, 7.00pm
Antrim have yet another home tie in these qualifiers and how it has suited them so far. Yes, they struggled to defeat Carlow last weekend, but in fairness, Carlow are not as bad as many seem to think. The Saffrons should have killed the game off before Brendan Murphy struck for a late goal, but despite making hard work of the result, they are still through to the next round.
Paddy Cunningham was brought on to steady the ship against Carlow and he could well be due a return to the starting line up as they will need their big guns against Down on Saturday evening. Antrim need to find a bit more consistency if they are to progress further.
Down's form so far has been poor, they have come nowhere near the standard that they produced last year, but the fact is that it is there and it's just a matter of time before it comes to the surface. However, whether they find their form on time remains to be seen. Yes, they pulled away from Leitrim comfortably last weekend, but for long periods the Connacht side had them rattled. Benny Coulter's display against Leitrim was the highlight of the game and they need more players to up their performance levels. This could be the one upset of the weekend, Antrim to win.
Verdict: Antrim

meatsy86

Down team to face Antrim on saturday!!

1. Breandán Mac an Bheatha Brendan McVeigh An Ríocht
2. Aodhán Ó Brannagáin Aiden Branagan Cill Chua
3. Dónall Mac Mhuirneacháin Dan Gordon Loch an Oileáin
4. Breandán Mac Árdghail Brendan McArdle Eanach Chluáin
5. Conchúr Ó Gairbhith Conor Garvey Droichead Mhaigh Eo
6. Caoimhín Mac Thiarnáin Kevin McKernan Boireann
7. Gearóid Mac Ártáin Gerard McCartan Boireann
8. Deaglán Ó Ruanaidh Declan Rooney Boireann
9. Colm Ó Cionga Kalum King Áth Bhriain
10. Caolán Ó Maonaigh Caolán Mooney Caisleán Ruairí
11. Marcas Mac Poilín Mark Poland Cloch Fhada
12. Liam Ó Dúil Liam Doyle Liatroim
13. Conchúr Mac Laibheartaigh Conor Laverty Cill Chua
14. Breandán Ó Coltáir Brendan Coulter Droichead Mhaigh Eo
15. Mairtín Ó Cléirigh Martin Clarke An Ríocht

Mourne Rover

This is very unlikely to be the starting lijne-up at Casement, in terms of either positions or personnel, but the inclusion of Gerard McCartam, when there were fears that his summer could be over, has to be good news. He is our best marker by some distance, and his league form was excellent.

ONeill

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 14, 2011, 07:51:48 PM
From Hoganstand

Antrim v Down, Casement Park, 7.00pm
Antrim have yet another home tie in these qualifiers and how it has suited them so far. Yes, they struggled to defeat Carlow last weekend, but in fairness, Carlow are not as bad as many seem to think. The Saffrons should have killed the game off before Brendan Murphy struck for a late goal, but despite making hard work of the result, they are still through to the next round.
Paddy Cunningham was brought on to steady the ship against Carlow and he could well be due a return to the starting line up as they will need their big guns against Down on Saturday evening. Antrim need to find a bit more consistency if they are to progress further.
Down's form so far has been poor, they have come nowhere near the standard that they produced last year, but the fact is that it is there and it's just a matter of time before it comes to the surface. However, whether they find their form on time remains to be seen. Yes, they pulled away from Leitrim comfortably last weekend, but for long periods the Connacht side had them rattled. Benny Coulter's display against Leitrim was the highlight of the game and they need more players to up their performance levels. This could be the one upset of the weekend, Antrim to win.
Verdict: Antrim

Gutsy. Cannot see it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PAULD123

So G McCartan for Duffin and Mooney for McComiskey.

In the forwards, positionally I think this has a better balance in terms of line up. Poland back at CHF, Clarke free to add numbers to the middle area without risking leaving space unmarked and Caolan coming in for McComiskey, who in fairness can have no complaints after his shocker last week. Not that I am running down McComiskey who is a superb player and will be important to us, I would expect his involvement at some stage.

Bit disappointed neither MaGinn or Hughes are fit to start, especially after Hughes declared himself fit three weeks ago. But James is having to manage injuries as best he can. I would be very happy with any victory given the conditions the game will be played in, but would really like to see the appearance at some stage of Hughes, MaGinn and especially at least 15-20 minutes for Ambrose.

whitegoodman

If Hughes and Maginn are not deemed fit enough to start then i would say this will be the team that starts and Id be happy enough with it.  As Mourne Rover says McCartan has been our best man marker so would prefer to see him in the corner but that is being picky.

If we are in a bit of trouble it would be great to be able to spring Hughes, Maginn and Ambrose from the bench for Mooney, Doyle and King.

Likely that Rooney will move back to half back and McKernan to midfield as per last week.

Mourne Rover

McKernan struggled at midfield last week, and it was only when he reverted to half back, and eventually pushed up on their spare defender, that we began to click. It is possible that Hughes will be held back on the bench for at least a while, but, on the evidence of the Leitrim game and assuming that his injury has not flared up again, it would be a big surprise if Maginn did not start.

If we do not improve substantially from our three championship displays to date, Antrim will be entitled to fancy their chances tomorrow. Down supporters would take a win of any description, and the icing on the cake would be the roar from the hard core in the stand if Ambrose manages to appear in the last quarter.

SHEEDY

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 14, 2011, 02:04:35 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 13, 2011, 10:46:12 PM
DownFanatic usually knows his stuff but Garvey is a certainty to start on Saturday and McComiskey, who sadly had a nightmare against Leitrim, is very likely to be on the bench.  It is difficult to see Doyle being dropped, even if he has to switch to the half back line, and if Hughes is fit he will be back in his normal position. Down's dreadful record at Casement has been well documented and the Mayobridge contingent will not need to be reminded that both of their Ulster final defeats were at the same venue. We only just sneaked past Offaly at this stage last year - when our form was much better than of late - and any sort of a win on Saturday would do the job.

Bad error in omitting Garvey. Totally forgot about him. Probably because he had been out injured. Id have McArdle move back into the corner in place of Rafferty and Garvey to wing half back.

Square Ball, admission prices as follows:

Stand      €20 / £18     
Senior Citizens  €15 / £14
Under 16s             F.O.C. F.O.C.
Terracing        General Admission  €15/£14 No Concessions
Under 16s F.O.C
why are the admission prices dearer this week? so much for encouraging more people through the turnstiles
nil satis nisi optimum

snoopdog

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 15, 2011, 05:01:03 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on July 14, 2011, 02:04:35 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 13, 2011, 10:46:12 PM
DownFanatic usually knows his stuff but Garvey is a certainty to start on Saturday and McComiskey, who sadly had a nightmare against Leitrim, is very likely to be on the bench.  It is difficult to see Doyle being dropped, even if he has to switch to the half back line, and if Hughes is fit he will be back in his normal position. Down's dreadful record at Casement has been well documented and the Mayobridge contingent will not need to be reminded that both of their Ulster final defeats were at the same venue. We only just sneaked past Offaly at this stage last year - when our form was much better than of late - and any sort of a win on Saturday would do the job.

Bad error in omitting Garvey. Totally forgot about him. Probably because he had been out injured. Id have McArdle move back into the corner in place of Rafferty and Garvey to wing half back.

Square Ball, admission prices as follows:

Stand      €20 / £18     
Senior Citizens  €15 / £14
Under 16s             F.O.C. F.O.C.
Terracing        General Admission  €15/£14 No Concessions
Under 16s F.O.C
why are the admission prices dearer this week? so much for encouraging more people through the turnstiles

Grab All Association

Mourne Rover

HS is right to say that Down and Antrim's championship performances to date have been around the same level. We have also only played one championship match against Antrim at Casement over the last 30 years plus, which we managed to lose, and our general record at the venue is poor.

We showed our potential at Croke Park last summer, and we also comfortably finished in a mid-table first division place in the spring, which should stand to us. However, our confidence is not high and the weather may not suit us either. In the last meeting with Antrim in 2000, the combination of  a downpour,  sensible Antrim tactics and excellent free taking by McQuillan was enough to do the trick. Cunningham might be capable of a repeat performance tomorrow, but we can also look to a strong bench.

We have the players to edge us through, but we may yet be be in trouble if we start with the team which has been named.

whitegoodman

I cant agree with HS statements.

Firstly we beat a division 4 team by 8 points last wk, Antrim beat a division 4 team by 1.  Both teams may have been far from their best but the respective results show an overall difference in performance.

Secondly Down more than held their own in Division 1 this year whereas Antrim struggled badly.  I know it was only the league but both teams would have been trying very hard to stay in Division 1 and 2.  I would hope that Downs league performances would be more realistic of their level than that performance in Armagh.

Thirdly I find it difficult to believe that most people would have seen Down and Antrim at the same level prior to last year.  For example would Antrim have been capable of drawing away to Tyrone and beating them at home.  Prior to last year Down were very inconsistent mixing the great with the outragous but they were still capable of producing big results on their day.  If you asked most people who they would prefer to meet in the championship I would say they would prefer Antrim to Down.

I am be very wrong but if both teams play to their best I expect Down to win by 5 or 6 points.  If Down perform as they have done in the past 3 matches and Antrim play to their best then Antrim stand a good chance.  However I can see them struggling without some of their better players in McClean, McCann, McCourty's, Magill and possibly O'Boyle.  In fairness most teams would struggle without arguable 6 of their best players.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 15, 2011, 08:47:30 PM
HS is right to say that Down and Antrim's championship performances to date have been around the same level. We have also only played one championship match against Antrim at Casement over the last 30 years plus, which we managed to lose, and our general record at the venue is poor.

We showed our potential at Croke Park last summer, and we also comfortably finished in a mid-table first division place in the spring, which should stand to us. However, our confidence is not high and the weather may not suit us either. In the last meeting with Antrim in 2000, the combination of  a downpour,  sensible Antrim tactics and excellent free taking by McQuillan was enough to do the trick. Cunningham might be capable of a repeat performance tomorrow, but we can also look to a strong bench.

We have the players to edge us through, but we may yet be be in trouble if we start with the team which has been named.

On the assumption that hughes and maginn are not fit to start who would you have liked to see starting and instead of who MR?

Quote from: hardstation on July 15, 2011, 09:57:29 PM
Who'll line Martin Clarke? Loughrey would do a quare job on him. I think Ricky will give Coulter his fill of it too.

Padraig Hughes likes to give a free too, which could pay dividends for Hands, if we run at them.

I've probably shopped the meeting and Hughes will give nothing.

Going by last weeks performance if Ricky gives Benny his fill of it he is a very decent full back!!