Antrim v Down

Started by knockitdown, July 10, 2011, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Antrim do have a chance here, albeit a small one.  Was speaking to a couple of guys who were at the Carlow game, said Antrim were the better team but couldn't put Carlow away and it was a relatively poor game.  Down's defence can be a bit suspect but I would be surprised if they didn't win by 3 or 4.

PAULD123

Providing Hughes and McGinn are fit for Saturday (and all indications are that they will be) then there will be an issue of who plays. Apart from Clarke and Coulter, who are automatic selections, there will be around eight players trying to get four positions. I would pick the following:

McGinn - Doyle - Hughes

Laverty - Coulter - Clarke

But that leaves McComiskey and Poland out from our All-Ireland final team, not to mention Caolan Monney and Murtagh (if fit). I guess Mooney and Murtagh would expect to be on the bench but Doyle, McGinn, Hughes, Laverty, Poland, McComiskey would all be disappointed not to start

Orior

This will probably be the last big match in #Belfast this year.

I hope a good big crowd turn up, and remind the #Ulster Council of what they missed by having both Ulster semi's in #Clones.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

5 Sams

7pm throw in in Casement next Saturday confirmed.
The Aristocrat Years

antrimlad

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 11, 2011, 04:36:47 PM

Where are you getting that from?

Mourne Rover

There's no doubt about the competition for places in our forward line, and there must be a chance that Doyle will switch back to his natural spot in our half backs. His fitness is still a work in progress but a footballer of his quality and experience is capable of doing a job at either half forward or half back. It is very difficult to see Poland getting dropped on the strength of one slightly below-par display, especially after his heroics against Armagh. Poland is also our main right-footed free-taker, with McComiskey likely to be on the bench. We could start with -

McVeigh,
McArdle, Gordon, Rafferty,
McKernan, Doyle, Garvey,
King, Fitzpatrick,
Hughes, Clarke, McGinn,
Laverty, Coulter, Poland.

AQMP

Quote from: Orior on July 11, 2011, 04:32:05 PM
I hope a good big crowd turn up, and remind the #Ulster Council of what they missed by having both Ulster semi's in #Clones.

Orior, after we bate Down surely the least Cork could do would be to come to Casement to give us a good shellacking ;)

5 Sams

Quote from: antrimlad on July 11, 2011, 04:48:58 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 11, 2011, 04:36:47 PM

Where are you getting that from?

Down County Board. Pay at the gate as well.
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Quote from: AQMP on July 11, 2011, 05:06:18 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 11, 2011, 04:32:05 PM

Orior, after we bate Down surely the least Cork could do would be to come to Casement to give us a good shellacking ;)

Emmm,  errr,  yes   *backs away from the nutter*  nice nutter,  good nutter.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

PatDaly

Match referee is Padraig Hughes from Armagh.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/date/2011_07_16/

Saturday July 16th at 7.00 PM

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2011 Round 3

Antrim
vs.
Down

Casement Park

Referee: Padraig Hughes
Extratime playable

Dubh driocht

Jeez, what a decision to put that header in charge.Give me Sludden anyday. He hates Down and loves the attention.
The forecast for Saturday is poor. Shades of 2000 ?

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 11, 2011, 05:00:54 PM
There's no doubt about the competition for places in our forward line, and there must be a chance that Doyle will switch back to his natural spot in our half backs. His fitness is still a work in progress but a footballer of his quality and experience is capable of doing a job at either half forward or half back. It is very difficult to see Poland getting dropped on the strength of one slightly below-par display, especially after his heroics against Armagh. Poland is also our main right-footed free-taker, with McComiskey likely to be on the bench. We could start with -

McVeigh,
McKernan, Doyle, Garvey,
King, Fitzpatrick,
Hughes, Clarke, McGinn,

I would say the forward line is spot on if danny and mcginn are deemed fit to start.

The defence is more difficult to predict for me.  I think it is unlikely that they will drop Rooney as he has been nearly ever present since the start of the championship last year.

I also find it hard to believe that a defensive minded manager like james will have both mckernan and doyle in the half back line.  It must be remembered that that only reason Doyle got back into the team was because there was a lack of alternatives in the half forward line due to injury.   That being said he may bring him back to CHB on the basis that Mckernan stays at midfield.  It is difficult enough to predict.

James has some big decisions to make, he could be faithful to the lads who won the last 2 games and didnt do much wrong or he could go with a team that he thinks that will not only beat Antrim but will also give Cork a game of it.  On the basis that he goes for the latter I would go with;

McVeigh
G McCartan, Gordon, Rafferty
Rooney, Doyle, Garvey
King, McKernan
Hughes, Clarke, McGinn
Laverty, Coulter, Poland

with Ambrose getting 20 mins coming on for doyle with Mckernan moving back.  It may be a tad harsh on the likes of Brannigan, McArdle and McCumisky but needs must.

SHEEDY

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 11, 2011, 08:12:12 PM

McVeigh,
McKernan, Doyle, Garvey,
King, Fitzpatrick,
Hughes, Clarke, McGinn,

I would say the forward line is spot on if danny and mcginn are deemed fit to start.

The defence is more difficult to predict for me.  I think it is unlikely that they will drop Rooney as he has been nearly ever present since the start of the championship last year.

I also find it hard to believe that a defensive minded manager like james will have both mckernan and doyle in the half back line.  It must be remembered that that only reason Doyle got back into the team was because there was a lack of alternatives in the half forward line due to injury.   That being said he may bring him back to CHB on the basis that Mckernan stays at midfield.  It is difficult enough to predict.

James has some big decisions to make, he could be faithful to the lads who won the last 2 games and didnt do much wrong or he could go with a team that he thinks that will not only beat Antrim but will also give Cork a game of it.  On the basis that he goes for the latter I would go with;

McVeigh
G McCartan, Gordon, Rafferty
Rooney, Doyle, Garvey
King, McKernan
Hughes, Clarke, McGinn
Laverty, Coulter, Poland

with Ambrose getting 20 mins coming on for doyle with Mckernan moving back.  It may be a tad harsh on the likes of Brannigan, McArdle and McCumisky but needs must.
dont think g mc cartan is going to be fit and its hard to see rafferty getting a start after only 5mins action all year. think fitzpatrick will start after showing signs of returning to form when he came on. cant see mc comiskey keeping his place after an all round poor performance against leitrim.

the team i think will play (for what its worth);

mc veigh
brannigan    gordon    mc ardle
garvey       mc kernan  rooney
          king        fitzpatrick
doyle        clarke       maginn
lavery        coulter     poland

with rafferty, hughes, mccomiskey, carr coming off the bench
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

you could be right about rafferty although i thought i saw Gerrard McCartan warming up along the line the other day.

Would be important for them, Danny and Ambrose to get some game time before Cork on the basis that we manage to get over the tough test that will be Antrim on saturday night.

Leo

McVeigh,
McKernan, Doyle, Garvey,
King, Fitzpatrick,
Hughes, Clarke, McGinn,

MR, judging from his previous post, whitegoodman is in paroxims of laughter right now at the outrageous selection of Doyle & McKernan in half back line!!!
You are not far off the mark with that line-up but I think Brannigan will be preferred to McArdle and you do have to find a place for Poland.
By the way - it's Maginn.
Fierce tame altogether