Monaghan v Dublin AI Semi Final 15 July 2023

Started by donelli, July 13, 2023, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: straightred on July 15, 2023, 11:34:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 07:48:41 PM
I thought Monaghan would have played out the last quarter better when they leveled it at 12-12, but their sensibilities departed the stage and a kickout  press reaped rewards for the Dubs. Kudos to Vinny, he orchestrated a good competitive Monaghan at the highest level in the GAA
Hurson made some good decisions but at the same time overall he was worth a clear 4 points to Dublin. I though he was poor in the Ulster s/f but then Derry were vastly superior to Mon. Here in a close game his name will forever have a black mark. Even so, in all probability the Dubs would have crawled over the line without his assistance.
At last someone who is calling out Hurson. I was at it and in the unusual position that i didnt mind who won. I also counted a clear +4 points in decisions that went dublins way. The killer one for me was early in the second half when there was a clear free to monghan in the hogan/davin corner. Dublin turned the ball over and got a quick score. Thats a 2 point swing. He done a monaghan fellow for steps in the middle of the pitch just after he done dublin. Really harsh call that was clearly all about balancing the books but then kilkenny is allowed his normal 7 or 8 steps afterwards. I agree that in the end Dublin's subs were always going to get the job done but Hurson ensured there was no doubt. The ref should have been from connaught or munster. That was the argument that i heard on my way out and i don't disagree. The GAA need to be smarter about these things.

He was consistent, which imo, is all you can ask.  He gave soft frees against both teams, and called overcarrying and touching on the ground equally.

His most egregious error, at least by official rules, was his unoffical VAR call against Dublin,  denying them a fairly handy 45 just by the post (correctly, but not by the rules).

straightred

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 15, 2023, 11:47:20 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 15, 2023, 11:34:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 07:48:41 PM
I thought Monaghan would have played out the last quarter better when they leveled it at 12-12, but their sensibilities departed the stage and a kickout  press reaped rewards for the Dubs. Kudos to Vinny, he orchestrated a good competitive Monaghan at the highest level in the GAA
Hurson made some good decisions but at the same time overall he was worth a clear 4 points to Dublin. I though he was poor in the Ulster s/f but then Derry were vastly superior to Mon. Here in a close game his name will forever have a black mark. Even so, in all probability the Dubs would have crawled over the line without his assistance.
At last someone who is calling out Hurson. I was at it and in the unusual position that i didnt mind who won. I also counted a clear +4 points in decisions that went dublins way. The killer one for me was early in the second half when there was a clear free to monghan in the hogan/davin corner. Dublin turned the ball over and got a quick score. Thats a 2 point swing. He done a monaghan fellow for steps in the middle of the pitch just after he done dublin. Really harsh call that was clearly all about balancing the books but then kilkenny is allowed his normal 7 or 8 steps afterwards. I agree that in the end Dublin's subs were always going to get the job done but Hurson ensured there was no doubt. The ref should have been from connaught or munster. That was the argument that i heard on my way out and i don't disagree. The GAA need to be smarter about these things.

He was consistent, which imo, is all you can ask.  He gave soft frees against both teams, and called overcarrying and touching on the ground equally.

His most egregious error, at least by official rules, was his unoffical VAR call against Dublin,  denying them a fairly handy 45 just by the post (correctly, but not by the rules).
I dont know what it was like on TV but live it seemed that Monaghan couldn't buy a free but dublin got every decision going. I could be wrong but that's how it seemed to me. McManus was being held every time monaghan were building up but hurson didnt manage to see it once. He did manage to give Dublin a free for that early in the 1st half. That's not consistent

Jell 0 Biafra

Well, admittedly I only saw it on TV (over here stateside, and took in my annual in person game there two weeks ago against Mayo).  So I don't have your perspective. 

But from what I saw on tv, there were at least two soft frees that Monaghan scored from (early first half, phantom jersey pull from Small; McManus second half against Fitzsimons), and the VAR decision on the (incorrectly awarded) 45 that Dublin would almost certainly have scored from.   

I also I think Dublin got some soft frees, so I think that's just how this ref calls the game, rather than there being any bias.

I also think that just prior to the (correct) black card call on Scully, he was fouled on the ground (forearm to the face area).  Another ref might have called that as a free for Scully, and not the black, as that foul occurred first.   

Monaghan were a bit unlucky with the woodwork in the first half, and that might have changed things another day, but the ref was a non-factor as far as the result was concerned.

onefineday

Quote from: befair on July 15, 2023, 06:16:00 PM
Best to watch it on rewind, + fast-forward through the endless recycling.
Time for a shot-clock?
Serious?
There wasn't a huge amount of keep ball in that game imo. It was a good hard game of football with contests all over the pitch, that's the antithesis of keep ball which aims to endlessly recycle away from contact to the point where the opposition, ref and crowd fall asleep and a shooting opportunity can be engineered.
Fair play to Monaghan, that was much closer than 7pts, a bit of luck or better decisions in the first half would have given more to cling on to.
For the dubs this was more evidence that they are not the team of old, they've been exposed time and again all season and despite all the players blooded these past few years, it was McCaffrey, Fenton, Costello, Kilkenny et al who saw them through today.
Ref was grand, wouldn't say he influenced the outcome. All in all a really enjoyable game, just a pity it wasn't one score going into that last minute or so. For Monaghan, that has to be a positive season, tipped by all to be relegated, taken apart by Derry in Ulster, some turnaround by Corey.

The Subbie

The one Hurson call I could not figure out ( and there were a few) was the free out for the Dubs when Gary Mohan leapt for a ball and he blows a free out
Think Mohan made contact with a Dubs head but replay clearly shows Mohan only having eyes for the ball
A very strange decision I thought and indicated the more benign view Hurson took towards the Dubs overall today
He didn't win it for them but he was certainly kinder to Dubs than Monaghan
He did get some calls spot on - I will give him that Hanlon touching on the ground and Dubs touching g on the ground we're both correct calls
Monaghan had their chances in 1st half and didn't take them , ran out of steam and bench options in the end
Dubs have a lot to do before they are fit for an All Ireland final

full moon

The referee definitely was worth a couple points to Dublin. Really if Monaghan were to win they needed at least a goal if not more and a referee giving them the benefit of the doubt.

There was several big calls by ref that killed Monaghan momentum. All that said, Dublin were still the better team and I think lead the whole way. I think they were about 2-4 points the better team in that.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 16, 2023, 12:12:37 AM
Well, admittedly I only saw it on TV (over here stateside, and took in my annual in person game there two weeks ago against Mayo).  So I don't have your perspective. 

But from what I saw on tv, there were at least two soft frees that Monaghan scored from (early first half, phantom jersey pull from Small; McManus second half against Fitzsimons), and the VAR decision on the (incorrectly awarded) 45 that Dublin would almost certainly have scored from.   

I also I think Dublin got some soft frees, so I think that's just how this ref calls the game, rather than there being any bias.

I also think that just prior to the (correct) black card call on Scully, he was fouled on the ground (forearm to the face area).  Another ref might have called that as a free for Scully, and not the black, as that foul occurred first.   

Monaghan were a bit unlucky with the woodwork in the first half, and that might have changed things another day, but the ref was a non-factor as far as the result was concerned.
The McManus free was absolutely a free. Yes he played it up a bit but there was no question on that.

I would agree on the scully incident. Arm on the face first but if you don't see that and it was hard to then it's a black.

Wildweasel74

.Mohan one, yes he had eyes on the ball, and initially couldn't understand the free, but on review, took the head of a Sub going for the ball, unsighted or not, so I call that a free. McManus one was obviously a free. As Fitzsimmons came into his back, didn't matter if McManus slowed down or not.

Angus MacGyver

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 16, 2023, 08:23:48 AM
.Mohan one, yes he had eyes on the ball, and initially couldn't understand the free, but on review, took the head of a Sub going for the ball, unsighted or not, so I call that a free. McManus one was obviously a free. As Fitzsimmons came into his back, didn't matter if McManus slowed down or not.
James McCarthy did the very same against Mayo on the 2nd half throw in. Result? Point for Dublin.

seafoid

Monaghan raised the bar. There is no shame in losing to that Dublin team. Winning is about learning and cutting out the mistakes- eg turnovers and  taking chances as they happen.  Monaghan can get to an all Ireland final.  The new system gives the team more time together. They might get a handy semi.They might not even need that.

"They will be remembered by their people". The Follower.

redzone

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 15, 2023, 08:19:26 PM
Quote from: redzone on July 15, 2023, 08:12:05 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 15, 2023, 07:44:03 PM
Monaghan really should be very proud of themselves.
They really gave it their all.
U serious. They shit themselves again. How many times have these players pooped on the big day.

Yes I'm serious, they ran out of  bench and legs .
I thought they were great value for over 60mins.
Had they only taken one of their Goal chances in the first half.
Brilliant value over the 60 mins they alway are. Just like Mayo always great viewing, but bottom line is everyone knew they would come up short. Level again with 10 mins to and Dublin scored 1-5. Happens every time on the big stage in Croke park. That's not bad luck it's not having the mental resolve to see it through.
These Monaghan players will always have an asterisk beside them for failing in Croke Park

AustinPowers

ON the SUBject of too many steps , the  most noticeable one was Rock's goal.  He took at least 8 or 9.  That  score was  massive in a tight game ,   effectively the winning of the game.

Mario

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 10:06:57 AM
ON the SUBject of too many steps , the  most noticeable one was Rock's goal.  He took at least 8 or 9.  That  score was  massive in a tight game ,   effectively the winning of the game.
Game was over at that point was it not. I know it was over carrying but the rule is rarely applied to the letter of the law. If you hesitate you get blown up, if you very clearly over carry when soloing out the field you get blown up, if you are riding a tackle usually get 7 or 8 steps.

Milltown Row2

Some amount of moaning about the ref. Watched the game late last night after being out, so a few drinks had, but felt Hurson was grand, and for the VAR call should be applauded, in his defence he could have had a call in his ear from a linesman or whatever but the fact he looked up gave it that 'VAR'

Some soft ones here and there but by and large nothing to get worked up about. Fenton no black card was correct, he was attempting to tackle the ball and wasn't deliberately trying to pull someone down.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea