Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan97

No I'm not a troll, I just don't think it should be seen as all sweet in the garden with supporters is all.
As not saying anything in Breffni park, at the time I felt I didn't want to acknowledge him and react. Would you rather I booed and hurled abuse? Okay you might say what have I being doing here and yes that's true. I called him a tool and I acknowledge that. That was inappropriate. I was reacting to other posts. After Breffni, It really did hurt supporters at the time but that was okay because Cavan moved on and developed without him and it was only when he was brought back on the panel that I decided to not attend.
In the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people feel move on, others he as dead right to do what he did, others it was a mistake get over it.
I wont attend, other people wont attend. No big news story there. But he's not going to be wholeheartedly embraced back by everyone. There is no full circle in this story for everyone. 

muppet

Quote from: Cavan97 on June 09, 2016, 01:25:42 PM
No I'm not a troll, I just don't think it should be seen as all sweet in the garden with supporters is all.
As not saying anything in Breffni park, at the time I felt I didn't want to acknowledge him and react. Would you rather I booed and hurled abuse? Okay you might say what have I being doing here and yes that's true. I called him a tool and I acknowledge that. That was inappropriate. I was reacting to other posts. After Breffni, It really did hurt supporters at the time but that was okay because Cavan moved on and developed without him and it was only when he was brought back on the panel that I decided to not attend.
In the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people feel move on, others he as dead right to do what he did, others it was a mistake get over it.
I wont attend, other people wont attend. No big news story there. But he's not going to be wholeheartedly embraced back by everyone. There is no full circle in this story for everyone.

He didn't want to play for Cavan for what could be seen as frivolous reasons and you now don't want to support Cavan for probably equally frivolous reasons.

You have a lot in common with Seanie.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2016, 01:04:13 PM
Quote from: Cavan97 on June 09, 2016, 12:36:38 PM
That day in Breffni I wouldn't boo or say anything about him. I actually told people beside me to be quiet. That would be too much.
Honourable? Lying to the GAA and to the media to attain a transfer honourable (come to my house for tea!!), then having the guile to go to Cavan Gales to ask them to pay the transfer expenses? At least he only got travelling expenses from Straffan to Newbridge.
Honourable? I missed the apology.

What expenses, surely you don't mean that he was looking expenses off Cavan Gaels to travel back and forth to training for Kildare county team??

The expenses remark may be that when SJ originally went looking for a move he tried and failed to transfer to Kildare while staying with Cavan Gaels. It failed and he want to go the legal route with it which was I think 10k estimated cost which SJ wanted to get the Gaels to pay for. They refused so he went to plan B, a pretend move to Straffan and a transfer to another club.

Itchy

I don't want to dig this all up again. However, I think a lot of what Cavan97 says is true. There are a large minority staying away. I know of about 7/8 people in my circle of friends who cannot bring themselves to watch him. These are the hard core supporters that go to games when others don't, the sunshine boys couldnt care less if Cavan started Jack the Ripper at Full Forward as long as they were winning. Whether SJ apologised or not to his team mates or manager we may never know, I certainly got the feeling he regrets what he did. Maybe that the same and maybe it isnt.

I dont particularly like the guy and I certainly do not like what he did and what he put Cavan GAA through. I have nothing but contempt for Kildare and McGeeney for their part in this and I look forward to seeing both beaten this year and for many years to come, especially their sad supporters with their "Seanie is a lillie" posters! However, its time to move on. Terry Hyland dropped Johnston. Johnston went back to Hyland to try and rejoin the panel this year- not the other way around as some are saying, whatever was agreed Hyland let him rejoin. If Terry is happy as the man on the inside who is 100% Cavan to the core and the man who knows the whole truth of the matter, then I respect his decision to let SJ return and I say move on.

I understand the pain Cavan97 but trust in Terry I say.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on June 09, 2016, 01:44:51 PM
I don't want to dig this all up again. However, I think a lot of what Cavan97 says is true. There are a large minority staying away. I know of about 7/8 people in my circle of friends who cannot bring themselves to watch him. These are the hard core supporters that go to games when others don't, the sunshine boys couldnt care less if Cavan started Jack the Ripper at Full Forward as long as they were winning. Whether SJ apologised or not to his team mates or manager we may never know, I certainly got the feeling he regrets what he did. Maybe that the same and maybe it isnt.

I dont particularly like the guy and I certainly do not like what he did and what he put Cavan GAA through. I have nothing but contempt for Kildare and McGeeney for their part in this and I look forward to seeing both beaten this year and for many years to come, especially their sad supporters with their "Seanie is a lillie" posters! However, its time to move on. Terry Hyland dropped Johnston. Johnston went back to Hyland to try and rejoin the panel this year- not the other way around as some are saying, whatever was agreed Hyland let him rejoin. If Terry is happy as the man on the inside who is 100% Cavan to the core and the man who knows the whole truth of the matter, then I respect his decision to let SJ return and I say move on.

I understand the pain Cavan97 but trust in Terry I say.

A great man to knife through the defence.

yellowcard

Interesting take on things and understandable in many ways. Its all well and good posters from other counties criticising Cavan97 for his stance but its impossible to know how you would react until it happened one of your own. Whatever way you look on it, it was a blatant act of betrayal

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Cavan97 on June 09, 2016, 01:07:00 PM
Apologise for the brazen lies to suit himself.
He was about to be dropped of the panel, he was informed by a club man. Val Andrews rang and he hung up on him after obscenities. Then tell media he was dropped after a 4 second phone call! He fceking hung up!!!
He wasn't the first lad to every be dropped off a panel but he threw his toys out of the pram straight away. Then with the public lies to facilitate the transfer that has been mentioned once or thrice in this forum.
The final nail in the coffin was the way the had to get his point in Breffni, no matter what, albeit a free. Rub salt into the supporters that cheered him on for years!
I initially responded to the remark "that the story of this person has come full circle, I am not the only person staying away because of this tool". To a lot of Cavan people it will never be full circle. Again I reiterate, I always support my County, but will not attend a Cavan game with him on the panel. 
I know a good few people staying away for the same reasons. 
Armagh outnumbered Cavan in Breffni on the 29th.

If you don't go to Cavan games how do you know Armagh out numbered Cavan? Did you do a quick head count while watching on tv? I read in one of the papers the day after the game that Cavan sold over twice as many tickets as Armagh for the game.

Jinxy

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2016, 01:55:01 PM
Interesting take on things and understandable in many ways. Its all well and good posters from other counties criticising Cavan97 for his stance but its impossible to know how you would react until it happened one of your own. Whatever way you look on it, it was a blatant act of betrayal

I'll never forgive Cathal Sheridan for transferring to Kildare.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 09, 2016, 12:51:34 PM
Apologise for what exactly? Succeeding in manipulating rules to allow himself to play inter-county football? Everyone knows it was a sham, but the GAA deemed he was allowed play, should the GAA not be apologising as well for facilitating it? SJ was ill advised and your ire should be at Kieran McGeeney and the Kildare supporters club, McGeeney thought he saw an opportunity to bring in a quality forward to the Kildare set-up and being focused on winning and success didn't see the bigger picture. That bigger picture is that transfer set Kildare back by at least two years, hindsight is a wonderful thing but SJ like all players is focused purely on himself, he made mistakes no doubt, apologise though what kind of self-entitlement demands that?

Two years is probably being conservative. There are other issues at play also but it's fair to say that this embarrassing episode was the catalyst for a lot of the upheaval off the field in Kildare in recent times.

It's good to see him back playing for his native county now but I can see how it's still a sore point for many in Cavan and Kildare (and maybe some in Armagh too!).
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2016, 02:06:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2016, 01:55:01 PM

I'll never forgive Cathal Sheridan for transferring to Kildare.

I'll never forgive Cathal Sheridan for transferring to Meath.
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 09, 2016, 02:25:35 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 09, 2016, 12:51:34 PM
Apologise for what exactly? Succeeding in manipulating rules to allow himself to play inter-county football? Everyone knows it was a sham, but the GAA deemed he was allowed play, should the GAA not be apologising as well for facilitating it? SJ was ill advised and your ire should be at Kieran McGeeney and the Kildare supporters club, McGeeney thought he saw an opportunity to bring in a quality forward to the Kildare set-up and being focused on winning and success didn't see the bigger picture. That bigger picture is that transfer set Kildare back by at least two years, hindsight is a wonderful thing but SJ like all players is focused purely on himself, he made mistakes no doubt, apologise though what kind of self-entitlement demands that?

Two years is probably being conservative. There are other issues at play also but it's fair to say that this embarrassing episode was the catalyst for a lot of the upheaval off the field in Kildare in recent times.

Not least McGeeney offering John Fogarty outside for asking about Shane Supple

Esmarelda

I agree completely with Itchy and yellowcard on this.

It's a bit much hearing lads coming on and criticising Cavan97 for having the feelings he has. Try to put yourself in his shoes. Johnston is back and it seems (unless I missed something) that it's swept under the carpet as if to suggest what happened was all ok. Has anyone on the Cavan side addressed what happened? I don't think it was ok and the blame lies with the Kildare management and Johnston himself.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be back on the Cavan panel but I'm guessing that true Cavan supporters are the ones best positioned to make that call.

Cavan97 seems to respect both sides and is voting with his feet which I respect in turn.

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 09, 2016, 02:41:55 PM

It's a bit much hearing lads coming on and criticising Cavan97 for having the feelings he has. Try to put yourself in his shoes. Johnston is back and it seems (unless I missed something) that it's swept under the carpet as if to suggest what happened was all ok. Has anyone on the Cavan side addressed what happened? I don't think it was ok and the blame lies with the Kildare management and Johnston himself.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be back on the Cavan panel but I'm guessing that true Cavan supporters are the ones best positioned to make that call.

Cavan97 seems to respect both sides and is voting with his feet which I respect in turn.

Is he respecting the rest of the Cavan team and management by boycotting them?
MWWSI 2017

Esmarelda

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 09, 2016, 02:41:55 PM

Is he respecting the rest of the Cavan team and management by boycotting them?
I don't see how not attending a game is disrespecting anyone. Is that what you're suggesting?

tonto1888

Quote from: Cavan97 on June 09, 2016, 01:07:00 PM
Apologise for the brazen lies to suit himself.
He was about to be dropped of the panel, he was informed by a club man. Val Andrews rang and he hung up on him after obscenities. Then tell media he was dropped after a 4 second phone call! He fceking hung up!!!
He wasn't the first lad to every be dropped off a panel but he threw his toys out of the pram straight away. Then with the public lies to facilitate the transfer that has been mentioned once or thrice in this forum.
The final nail in the coffin was the way the had to get his point in Breffni, no matter what, albeit a free. Rub salt into the supporters that cheered him on for years!
I initially responded to the remark "that the story of this person has come full circle, I am not the only person staying away because of this tool". To a lot of Cavan people it will never be full circle. Again I reiterate, I always support my County, but will not attend a Cavan game with him on the panel. 
I know a good few people staying away for the same reasons. 
Armagh outnumbered Cavan in Breffni on the 29th.

they certainly did not