Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2016, 02:06:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2016, 01:55:01 PM
Interesting take on things and understandable in many ways. Its all well and good posters from other counties criticising Cavan97 for his stance but its impossible to know how you would react until it happened one of your own. Whatever way you look on it, it was a blatant act of betrayal

I'll never forgive Cathal Sheridan for transferring to Kildare.

I'd not forgiven, but forgotten.

Westside

I never thought he would be back. When it was announced he was back in training I thought it was a sign of desperation from Terry. As things unfolded though it looks like Johnston approached Terry, what would be required of him was plainly set out and agreed upon. As it turns out he is a useful cog in the best Cavan panel we have had in years. His attitude on the field has completely changed and if he's play acting as a lad who just wants to contribute and help bring the younger players along, he's doing it very well.

I think he is and always will be the type of guy who wants the limelight, he's arrogant, but I think he has grown up a bit. As long as he keeps contributing and Terry is happy that his presence is causing no disruption then I have no issue with him being back. Itchy's right, we have to trust Terry on this one and to be fair, it's already proven to be a good decision.

For those staying away because of his presence, I wonder what they think they are achieving. Who are they sticking it to? Do they watch the game on TV or is that not allowed either? Do they hope we win or lose? The team is full of lads that have given us some fantastic games and victories and performances both individually and as a team at underage and senior level. I believe they deserve my support even if one among them isn't entirely to my liking. If Cavan went on to win Ulster at some point with Johnston in the side, would it be worth missing it because Johnston once kicked a meaningless free against us in a Kildare jersey one day?

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on June 09, 2016, 03:27:44 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2016, 02:06:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2016, 01:55:01 PM
Interesting take on things and understandable in many ways. Its all well and good posters from other counties criticising Cavan97 for his stance but its impossible to know how you would react until it happened one of your own. Whatever way you look on it, it was a blatant act of betrayal

I'll never forgive Cathal Sheridan for transferring to Kildare.

I'd not forgiven, but forgotten.
He would runaway.

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 09, 2016, 02:55:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 09, 2016, 02:41:55 PM
I agree completely with Itchy and yellowcard on this.

It's a bit much hearing lads coming on and criticising Cavan97 for having the feelings he has. Try to put yourself in his shoes. Johnston is back and it seems (unless I missed something) that it's swept under the carpet as if to suggest what happened was all ok. Has anyone on the Cavan side addressed what happened? I don't think it was ok and the blame lies with the Kildare management and Johnston himself.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be back on the Cavan panel but I'm guessing that true Cavan supporters are the ones best positioned to make that call.

Cavan97 seems to respect both sides and is voting with his feet which I respect in turn.

Is he respecting the rest of the Cavan team and management by boycotting them?
I don't see how not attending a game is disrespecting anyone. Is that what you're suggesting?

Choosing not to attend is simply not supporting them. I think he was saying he didn't attend in protest, which would be a boycott. Maybe I simply picked him up wrong and he doesn't go for other reasons.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

Well some lads aren't attending as they can't stomach seeing him in a Cavan jersey. Not sure that's a protest or "sticking it" to anyone.

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2016, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 09, 2016, 02:55:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 09, 2016, 02:41:55 PM
I agree completely with Itchy and yellowcard on this.

It's a bit much hearing lads coming on and criticising Cavan97 for having the feelings he has. Try to put yourself in his shoes. Johnston is back and it seems (unless I missed something) that it's swept under the carpet as if to suggest what happened was all ok. Has anyone on the Cavan side addressed what happened? I don't think it was ok and the blame lies with the Kildare management and Johnston himself.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be back on the Cavan panel but I'm guessing that true Cavan supporters are the ones best positioned to make that call.

Cavan97 seems to respect both sides and is voting with his feet which I respect in turn.

Is he respecting the rest of the Cavan team and management by boycotting them?
I don't see how not attending a game is disrespecting anyone. Is that what you're suggesting?

Choosing not to attend is simply not supporting them. I think he was saying he didn't attend in protest, which would be a boycott. Maybe I simply picked him up wrong and he doesn't go for other reasons.

Sure we all have our reasons for not going to watch Cavan.

Syferus

If any Cavan man, woman or child won't go see their county play because they don't like one of the players they are misguided at best and simpletons at worst.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2016, 08:29:02 PM
If any Cavan man, woman or child won't go see their county play because they don't like one of the players they are misguided at best and simpletons at worst.

You'd know all about simpletons, no finer example than yourself exists on this board.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on June 09, 2016, 06:41:48 PM
Well some lads aren't attending as they can't stomach seeing him in a Cavan jersey. Not sure that's a protest or "sticking it" to anyone.

I really believe that if you cared that deeply about Cavan football that it would sicken you to see Seanie back in the Cavan jersey, you would stomach seeing him in the jersey to be a part of supporting this side. I can't see how you could be so attached to something yet you would walk away from it when one small facet of it isn't to your liking. Each to their own I suppose but I find it a bizarre mindset.

Armagh had a huge crowd in Breffni in 2013 too, probably as much as Cavan. I don't think an argument can be made that the attendance at Cavan games has been in any way materially affected by Johnston's presence. 

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Westside on June 09, 2016, 05:55:10 PM
I never thought he would be back. When it was announced he was back in training I thought it was a sign of desperation from Terry. As things unfolded though it looks like Johnston approached Terry, what would be required of him was plainly set out and agreed upon. As it turns out he is a useful cog in the best Cavan panel we have had in years. His attitude on the field has completely changed and if he's play acting as a lad who just wants to contribute and help bring the younger players along, he's doing it very well.

I think he is and always will be the type of guy who wants the limelight, he's arrogant, but I think he has grown up a bit. As long as he keeps contributing and Terry is happy that his presence is causing no disruption then I have no issue with him being back. Itchy's right, we have to trust Terry on this one and to be fair, it's already proven to be a good decision.

For those staying away because of his presence, I wonder what they think they are achieving. Who are they sticking it to? Do they watch the game on TV or is that not allowed either? Do they hope we win or lose? The team is full of lads that have given us some fantastic games and victories and performances both individually and as a team at underage and senior level. I believe they deserve my support even if one among them isn't entirely to my liking. If Cavan went on to win Ulster at some point with Johnston in the side, would it be worth missing it because Johnston once kicked a meaningless free against us in a Kildare jersey one day?

My feelings as well. Initially I thought Hyland was in desperation but it looks more like it was actually Seanie who was the desperate one when he went back cap in hand, presumably contrite, to ask to come back. He could see the last few years of his ability slipping down the hour glass, I think, and with the maturity that added years bring, I think he genuinely has copped himself on quite a bit.

He certainly doesn't play like the Johnny Big Balls/tantrum thrower/superstar/me me me me player he always struck me as, as the Kildare saga and his arrogance back then all too vividly illustrated. Like the post says, if Terry brought him back it must have been on acceptable terms and after ascertaining that Seanie is a different man these days.

I fully respect Cavan97's opinion on it though. It wasn't so much what Johnston did as the way he did it - for some, his new demeanour is enough to allow us to move on, for some others, it's not. And that's fair enough by me.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Westside on June 09, 2016, 10:19:50 PM

I really believe that if you cared that deeply about Cavan football that it would sicken you to see Seanie back in the Cavan jersey, you would stomach seeing him in the jersey to be a part of supporting this side. I can't see how you could be so attached to something yet you would walk away from it when one small facet of it isn't to your liking. Each to their own I suppose but I find it a bizarre mindset.

Armagh had a huge crowd in Breffni in 2013 too, probably as much as Cavan. I don't think an argument can be made that the attendance at Cavan games has been in any way materially affected by Johnston's presence.
What I find bizarre is how you and others find it bizarre. Are you all telling me that there is no situation where you wouldn't support your county?

What if your county ended up being something like Parnells? Imagine if a wealthy Roscommon/Mayo/Other businessman created imaginary jobs for eight-ten lads from Dublin or Kerry and you had half the team lining out for your county that had no connection. Come the end of the summer they were gone.

Now I know that's hypothetical and some people love the argument that they don't deal in hypotheticals but the point is that surely you can see that each person has a point where they say enough is enough?

Westside

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 10, 2016, 10:49:18 AM

What I find bizarre is how you and others find it bizarre. Are you all telling me that there is no situation where you wouldn't support your county?

What if your county ended up being something like Parnells? Imagine if a wealthy Roscommon/Mayo/Other businessman created imaginary jobs for eight-ten lads from Dublin or Kerry and you had half the team lining out for your county that had no connection. Come the end of the summer they were gone.

Now I know that's hypothetical and some people love the argument that they don't deal in hypotheticals but the point is that surely you can see that each person has a point where they say enough is enough?

Obviously in the circumstance you have mentioned, it would be hard to have the same gra for your team. But that's a million miles away from the current situation. Johnston is one man among a team of players that any true Cavan supporter would have a great fondness for given what they've done for us over the last 5 years. He has shown nothing but the right attitude since coming back and the ego he has shown in the past isn't visible any longer.

If the people staying away are long term Cavan fans (who have only now decided to stop because of Seanie) they have gone out to support lads who have been at Oxegen the weekend of a Championship game, lads who went out and drank for days after a rare first round Championship win, teams comprised mainly of lads who just wanted to get some Cavan gear and then put in the minimum effort required. That's all ok but Johnston's return as one member of a motivated, hungry, proud team is now where the line is drawn?

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to call it bullshit.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Westside on June 10, 2016, 07:26:15 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 10, 2016, 10:49:18 AM

Obviously in the circumstance you have mentioned, it would be hard to have the same gra for your team. But that's a million miles away from the current situation. Johnston is one man among a team of players that any true Cavan supporter would have a great fondness for given what they've done for us over the last 5 years. He has shown nothing but the right attitude since coming back and the ego he has shown in the past isn't visible any longer.

If the people staying away are long term Cavan fans (who have only now decided to stop because of Seanie) they have gone out to support lads who have been at Oxegen the weekend of a Championship game, lads who went out and drank for days after a rare first round Championship win, teams comprised mainly of lads who just wanted to get some Cavan gear and then put in the minimum effort required. That's all ok but Johnston's return as one member of a motivated, hungry, proud team is now where the line is drawn?

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to call it bullshit.
Well I have no idea what these incidents you're talking about relate to; whether they're factual, rumour or anything else.

All I'm saying is that people are entitled to look at what Johnston clearly did and make an informed decision. You're absolutely entitled to call it bullshit, that hardly needed to be said.

Westside

Let's say these incidents are factual (they are) would you consider it, in your own opinion, to be bizarre to stick with the team through that and then call it quits when Johnston comes back?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Westside on June 11, 2016, 01:40:22 AM
Let's say these incidents are factual (they are) would you consider it, in your own opinion, to be bizarre to stick with the team through that and then call it quits when Johnston comes back?
Hard to make a call on it having not experienced any of the incidents, including the Johnston one.

However, drinking and disciplinary issues can be one-off mistake a young lad can make.

The Johnston saga seemed to me to be a case of repeated and determined efforts to go against the ethos of the game and to embarrass everyone involved. The lease in his name, the cup of tea comment, the fact that he was living and working in Cavan, the hurling and finally kicking the point against his own team.

Having just typed that out then I can actually answer your question "No", nothing comes close to his behaviour and I would see it as unique and I wouldn't blame anyone for turning away.