Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Eddie McCloskey has been the best player in Antrim this year by a mile. He's starting to mature into a class player capable of gracing any county team.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Saffrongael

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 15, 2012, 06:21:55 PM
Eddie McCloskey has been the best player in Antrim this year by a mile. He's starting to mature into a class player capable of gracing any county team.

Good player, but that just isn't true, doesent matter how often you say it.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Buswhacker

McCloskey's young,and a very impressive hurler,no matter what YOU say Saffrongael.And he's modest too,not like some players mentioned  in this forum who's heads are a lot bigger that their talent.What have some of them ever achieved,mention them in Kilkenny or Cork and no one has ever heard of them.Age is catching up with a lot of our prima donnas,soon they be "hurlers on the ditch" like the rest of us,and no one wiil care.

btdtgtt

Strictly on performance I agree McCloskey has been the player of the year - fantastic talent.
But again - grace any county team? I don't think so.

Seamroga in exile

We'll not have to mention Liam again, he's not playing for the county next year.

manballandall

Not the first time we've heard that

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Buswhacker on November 15, 2012, 07:44:04 PM
McCloskey's young,and a very impressive hurler,no matter what YOU say Saffrongael.And he's modest too,not like some players mentioned  in this forum who's heads are a lot bigger that their talent.What have some of them ever achieved,mention them in Kilkenny or Cork and no one has ever heard of them.Age is catching up with a lot of our prima donnas,soon they be "hurlers on the ditch" like the rest of us,and no one wiil care.
What prima donna's are they?

Seamroga in exile

Sleeping giant

Is there any1 who would honestly say they would put Antrim over there club?    Now don't all Jump on me at once!!
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Buswhacker

We have prima donnas in Antrim, big within their clubs, but average when compared to their Southern counterparts.Would one Antrim hurler get on the Kilkenny team or even on the subs bench.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 15, 2012, 08:53:02 PM
Is there any1 who would honestly say they would put Antrim over there club?    Now don't all Jump on me at once!!

not recently but i was in good from about it all from 89 to 92 or so. if we where going better all would be forgiven. I think Mc manus could make a kilkenny team once Cody clashed him a couple or times and told him to pass the ball. not all his fault as hes trying to put out fires all over the pitch. as for Watson no chance hes blew very hot about four times and the last ten years the rest has been average. there not all prima donnas either, that's not fair i like the way young Graffan goes about his business
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

thegladiator

i would seriously doubt it, "club first, county second" is how most county players that i have known in the last 20 years or so say, and thats from city and glens players in both codes. we have to ask ourselves why? poor leadership at county board and divisional level, poor structures, etc; then we have to move onto the players themselves...many(not all) are more interested in the "social benefits" of being a county squad member. drinking bans apply only to the morning of the match. do we really have to go on about it? a lot of club sides are a lot more professionally set up than our county sides at all levels.
PRIDE plays a big part in it too, are our players proud to play for their county? to me most could take it or leave it. most players i have spoken too from other counties bust their arse to get onto a panel and it is a source of pride to be seen in a dublin, tyrone, waterford, meath squad for example. do our players have that? many do, most dont.

leadership, pride, commitment are the minimum requirements to be successful, and that is before a ball is kicked or a sliothar pucked. as a county, we fall short on all scores. how do we fix it?? strong leadership would be a starting point

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Sleeping giant

whats typical about it.   his heads not in it, so hes not going to be available.  same as cormac.  whats the problem?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.