Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: deiseach on October 08, 2013, 04:04:59 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 08, 2013, 03:53:41 PM
If the ball's in play he can score - if he's restarting the game with a kick-out then he can't score (direct). 

As I recall, Pat Jennings scored from a kick from his hands in the old First Division - Tony will probably confirm (if it was for Spurs).

Sure did, at Old Trafford. You have to love the matter-of-fact reactions of all concerned!

Big Pat did it against United in the charity shield against Alex (the ballix) Stepney as I recall.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fuzzman

I think there's been quite a few goals from keepers hitting long kick outs from their hands and it bounced over the other keepers heads.

I can remember Tim Howard scoring one for Everton out of his hands v Bolton.
Here is a list of top scoring keepers from around the world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goalscoring_goalkeepers

Peter Schmeichel has 13 goals in total though just one for Man Utd which was in Europe.
I recognise Higuita and Campos in there too

gawa316

Chilavert handsome free kick on him and also took pens.

If memory serves me right didn't Schmeichel score against Rotor Voldograd?

gawa316

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 09, 2013, 07:48:38 PM
Who can forget Jimmy Glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KejwqhLDeOs

I lived with a fella from Carlisle for 2 years at Uni and he must've mentioned Jimmy Glass every feckin day!!

muppet

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 09, 2013, 04:37:58 PM
I think there's been quite a few goals from keepers hitting long kick outs from their hands and it bounced over the other keepers heads.

I can remember Tim Howard scoring one for Everton out of his hands v Bolton.
Here is a list of top scoring keepers from around the world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goalscoring_goalkeepers

Peter Schmeichel has 13 goals in total though just one for Man Utd which was in Europe.
I recognise Higuita and Campos in there too

It wasn't out of his hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XvUuxqNHi8
MWWSI 2017

take_yer_points

If the ball's in play he can score - if he's restarting the game with a kick-out then he can't score (direct). 

As I recall, Pat Jennings scored from a kick from his hands in the old First Division - Tony will probably confirm (if it was for Spurs).

Are you sure a goal can't be scored direct from a goal kick? I think it can. Interestingly though, if a player puts the ball in his own net direct from a goal kick, a corner is awarded.

Billys Boots

Quote from: take_yer_points on October 09, 2013, 11:52:48 PM

Are you sure a goal can't be scored direct from a goal kick? I think it can. Interestingly though, if a player puts the ball in his own net direct from a goal kick, a corner is awarded.

I've seen goals scored (direct) from goal-kicks disallowed - in underage football. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

take_yer_points

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 10, 2013, 08:36:53 AM

I've seen goals scored (direct) from goal-kicks disallowed - in underage football.

You can correct the referee the next time it happens then...

FIFA website: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_16_the_goal_kick_en_47361.pdf
Football League website: http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/LawsofFootball/0,,10794~507503,00.html

cornerback

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 10, 2013, 08:36:53 AM

You can't be off-side from a goal kick, in the same way that you can't be off-side from a throw-in.  So maybe the same rule applies with regard to scoring direct from a throw-in & a goal kick i.e. you can't!

Edit:  obviously the same rule doesn't apply with regard to scoring from reading TYP's links

EC Unique

RVP got a hat trick last night. Let's hope he kicks on from here with plenty of goals for Utd.

EC Unique

wildrover

When was the last time Utd put in a rip-roaring performance and got the crowd going for more than sporadic 3-second bursts at a time? There is an eery feel around Old Trafford at the moment. The players don't look remotely motivated. Under fergie when they went 1-0 up against weaker teams they went for the kill and the crowd loved it. The team look really unsure of themselves. Wanyama (12-15million) outshone Fellaini (28 million) in every department today. Abject performance and dreadful result!

BennyCake

So, anyone want to guess when Moyes will get the boot?

I'd say he'll be gone by the end of January.

Farrandeelin

Teams now doing to Utd what Utd used do to other teams, i.e. score late.  :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.