Croke Park

Started by Uladh, March 01, 2007, 10:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote to allow Croke Park to become the National Stadium?

Yes
30 (20.4%)
No
117 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 138

doodaa

Quote from: snatter on March 01, 2007, 02:38:33 PM
QuoteIt was built by the GAA for the GAA.

So what? my house was built for a Mr Burrows, but he sold it and moved on to buy something else.

For the hard of thinking / laterally challenged, if the GAA sold it to the Govt, they would  obviously do so with the caveat that it was ringfenced for the AI Semi and Finals and possibly Leinster final.
I didn't think I would have to explain that one.

westmayo,  re
QuoteVoted No on this one, the GAA should hold on to exclusive ownership of the stadium.

why? what reasons?

What happens all the other competitions that are held then like club championships, nicky rackard, christy ring, tommy murphy etc.....what if they clash with another soccer/rugby fixture?
Those taking part in those competitions have every right and aspire to play in croke park...are you suggesting that the home of the gaa should shun these players and deny them a chance of there day in croker because ireland are playing a friendly agaisnt new zealand etc?

A firm no from me the whole thing is a shambles at the minute as someone else said built by the gaa for the gaa.
A stadium we can call our own! (sound like a harp ad here lol)

rosnarun

a yes from me

the place as has become despoilt by last weeks carnival. I say sell it to the government for a huge wad at least 600 million and build as many class 30/40,000 seat stadiums as you can for it possibly 6 or  8 and rent the  national stadium when it is need for finals and football semis
what is the point in having so much capital tied up in a part time rugby pitch?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

snatter

QuoteWhat happens all the other competitions that are held then like club championships, nicky rackard, christy ring, tommy murphy etc

we play them in smaller, re atmospheric venues.
And guess what, they'll be top class too, upgraded with the return on Croker.

There you go, better smaller stadia, new urban clubs AND WE STILL USE CROKER WHEN WE NEED IT.

WIN WIN WIN WIN.

HQ should wake up and start negotiating a sale.  At the very least start to spin the idea.
THe general public need to be reminded that until they pay us for it, it's not a national stadium.
With all the media euphoria over hte last few weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if most of teh non-gaa public has forgotten who actually owns it at present.

snatter

rosnarun,

Quotewhat is the point in having so much capital tied up in a part time rugby pitch?

That sums it up perfectly.

realredhandfan

that sums it up for me too.  Lets pay for the stadium as we use it the same as soccor and rugby.  Lets take out our capital.  Now that we have got rid of any sort of principled background / hangups to the stadium we should use it to improve our third world county facilities and club coaching structure.  I think the GAA should look at ensuring each county puts a business plan together for a sensible 10 - 20 000 stadium with covered spectator areas and floodlights. not the concrete jungles we see.  Omagh I believe is going the righ way but in needs 3 more roofs... The Limerick grounds I believe and Castlebar have went the wrong way - too big I love sitting in the rain... And we should ensure a full time professional coaching structure for our clubs.  provide each club with qualified professional coaches for an hour and an half per team per week.. After that the amateur coaches and management of each club kicks in.   

Dell Boy

I agree, we should milk the soccer/rugby cash cow as long as possible, but the money has to be filtered back to club level. The ordinary club man is still forking out for club facilities, not Croke Park as they would have you believe. My own club had to go scrounging to the English lotto for funds for a 1/2 size training pitch cos the "grant" from GAA wouldn't have paid for the posts!

We all pay over the odds for County tickets and are getting very little return where it's needed most. I agree that the plans for Omagh are welcome, but why is the bulk of meaningful Croker grants stopping at county level?

If a programme to fund clubs properly was started then the "where does the money go" and "should we open Croker" debates would disappear very quickly.

After all, the ordinary clubmen in this country paid for Croke Park in the first place, now the dividends should go back to the investors.

pintsofguinness

I'd sooner rip my eyes out with a spoon.

The ones advocating it are the same ones that would sell their Granny.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

darbyo

"build as many class 30/40,000 seat stadiums as you can for it possibly 6 or  8 and rent the  national stadium when it is need for finals and football semis"

Sorry cant't see the point of this or snatters argument, if we sell it then we can't do so on the grounds that we get it when we need it. To think that the other sports bodies would accept that is delusional. Why argue to sell it, then put that money into 6/8 other grounds which won't be fully utilized then pay to use Croke Park for all Dublins championship games, the football semis, prob. one of the hurling semis and both finals. One another point as far as I'm aware Croke Park makes more money from non-GAA activities such as concerts and conferences etc. we would this revenue stream also. Like I said before, an opinion not thought through.

ardal

realredhandfan

pints i was firmly in the no camp, but If im forced to watch 2 teams renting out a facility that we have 600 million invested of our GAAs money in, then who has it right the amateur organisation or the pros.  That 600 million could help me put an extra pitch around my club, it could help me watch Tyrone without the rain, it could help our club have a professional evening coach 3 nights a week... dont woirry you could still got to Croker to watch Tyrone if you want to in an All Ireland final.. Croke Park is now bigger than I want the GAA to be, I see the GAA as being my club and my county, my affinity with Croke Park is gone, and instead of being a magnificent testament to the spirit of volunteerism is best described as the third biggest sports stadium in Europe.  

ziggysego

I can't believe as many as 19 people have voted yes to date.

For years the GAA was laughed at by the 'professional' sports in Ireland. Soccer and Rugby had an air of superiority about them, with their noses turned up at 'bogball'.

While soccer was busy pissing away it's money on diva players and rugby was doing with their money, whatever they do with it, the GAA built one of the greatest stadiums in Europe and quite possibilty the greatest amature stadium on the planet.

What happened next, the GAA turned from a laughstock in their eyes to begrudgers who wouldn't opened their doors to them, whilst their own stadium was falling down around them. We let them in, which was a huge gesture from the GAA. One I did not agreed with, but abided with because the Association voted in favour with.

What is happening now? There is pressure coming that the Croke Park become a National Stadium forever more. Abeit it, only a small voice.. but that voice willl get louder and more frequent. Wait until 2008 and they are looking to extend to 2009. And 2009 to 2010. The snowball has started, stop it before it gets too big.

If some of the posters here at their way, then in a few years clubs like Owen Roe in Coleraine and Greencastle in Tyrone will never get a chance to play in Croke Park. Instead it will be deemed to expensive to open the Park and will be played in a less deserving venue.

It's a NO for from me and it should be a NO from all GAA members.
Testing Accessibility

realredhandfan

Ziggy that horse has bolted - Its an amazing stadium tht stood for a lot, but today stands for a lot less.  If our principles were wrong they were wrong but they were principles,  now sell er ta fook, Ill get more buzz from a b championship winning club u16 team.   

ardal

Do you remember sitiing in the cusack watching a game and also the hogan being redeveloped, and vis-a-versa? Was Croke park ever closed down to games due to the redevelopment? Why can't the rugby boys do the same?

I think those TDs calling for it to be the national stadium must be very secure of their seats. Vote no for those who say it should be a national stadium.

ziggysego

Quote from: ardal on March 01, 2007, 08:14:08 PM
Do you remember sitiing in the cusack watching a game and also the hogan being redeveloped, and vis-a-versa? Was Croke park ever closed down to games due to the redevelopment? Why can't the rugby boys do the same?

I've fond wondered why they can't do the same. I guess we aren't as civilised as the Rugby and Soccer folk.  :-\
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: snatter on March 01, 2007, 05:10:44 PM
rosnarun,

Quotewhat is the point in having so much capital tied up in a part time rugby pitch?

That sums it up perfectly.

Jeez lads, is that all it comes down to in the end, capital? Money?

Croke is still ours, it's still a Gaelic Games stadium (with mendicant professional, though temporary, tenants of late), and it represents so much more than money, or material, of any kind can or ever could.  The money accrued from its sale will be accrued by the association anyway. OK, it'll take it a little longer, but at least we will have arrived with our soul fully intact, and not as a spiritually bankrupt and empty parody of what we once were.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...