Croke Park

Started by Uladh, March 01, 2007, 10:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote to allow Croke Park to become the National Stadium?

Yes
30 (20.4%)
No
117 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 138

SuperSub

Quote from: Star Spangler on March 01, 2007, 02:22:19 PM
Wtf is a national "stadium" anyhow?  Can anyone name a (real) country that has one of these things i.e. a single pitch used by the international teams of several different sports?  I don't think such a thing exists.

Wales?

snatter

Dinny Breen

Aussie Stadium, Telstradome, MCG, Subiaco...  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

snatter

QuoteIt was built by the GAA for the GAA.

So what? my house was built for a Mr Burrows, but he sold it and moved on to buy something else.

For the hard of thinking / laterally challenged, if the GAA sold it to the Govt, they would  obviously do so with the caveat that it was ringfenced for the AI Semi and Finals and possibly Leinster final.
I didn't think I would have to explain that one.

westmayo,  re
QuoteVoted No on this one, the GAA should hold on to exclusive ownership of the stadium.

why? what reasons?

Rossfan

Firmly in the NO camp on this one.
I was and still am to a point in favour of helping out the neighbours in the current temporary little arrangement till they rebuild their own house( if ???).
However there is no gain whatsoever to be had by the GAA for handing over it's National HQ to the Government or whoever to be shared with all sports. Presumably an athletic track would also have to be put in.
Can you imagine  (some time in the distant fuure mind you) the Irish Soccer team having a last round World Cup/European Qualifier v France/Germany /Italy etc in late September - what media etc pressure would come on the GAA to put back the All Ireland Final "in the National Interest?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snatter

QuotePresumably an athletic track would also have to be put in.
Actually, just fyi, Croker has been designed from the outset to allow the easy provision of an athletics track. The front concrete rows are removable. Do a google to find out more.

QuoteCan you imagine  (some time in the distant fuure mind you) the Irish Soccer team having a last round World Cup/European Qualifier v France/Germany /Italy etc in late September - what media etc pressure would come on the GAA to put back the All Ireland Final "in the National Interest?
If the GAA membership has learnt anything from the giveaway rental agreement, it should be to have faith in what is really good for the GAA, and not what the media tell us. We won't fall for such a crap deal again.

full back

Quote from: Star Spangler on March 01, 2007, 02:22:19 PM
Wtf is a national "stadium" anyhow?  Can anyone name a (real) country that has one of these things i.e. a single pitch used by the international teams of several different sports?  I don't think such a thing exists.

Mmmm, feel a bit sheepish now Star Spangler :D

Owenmoresider

I think the Reverend sums up my view on this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uHhLe6WE0

realredhandfan

Id consider selling Croke Park to the government and developing the county grounds, clubs and kids around ireland with the windfall.. Whilst retaining the rights to play semi finals and  finals at the stadium.  The stadium itself is concrete the GAA are people.   

brokencrossbar1

While I am in agreement with the renting out of Croke Park to IRFU and FAI I am not in agreement with the sale of Croke Park to the State or it becoming the National Stadium.  

My view is that the rental Agreement should be put into place for a designated period of say 25 years.  The terms of this are reviewable ever 5 years to facilitate increase in rent etc.  The rent should be higher than it currently is.  The have been figures floating about in regards to the cost of rebuilding Landsdowne.  What I would argue is that a large proportion of that be provided to the GAA as a sweetener for allowing Croke Park to be used.  One of the smaller soccer stadiums could be upgraded to 40k capacity.  If a crowd is going to be bigger than that then CP should be used.  
Landsdowne Road should be sold and the proceeds divided between the interested parties accordingly.  For rugby games that will be less than the minimum amount for Croke Park, then the New stadium in the north would be use or perhaps Thomaond if the capacity was sufficient.

The rest of the money that is being svaed from not rebuilding Landsdowne could be directed towards other sports such as athletics which are dying on their feet and swimming.

snatter

bc1,

QuoteThe rent should be higher than it currently is.
It should, but the IRFU / FAI won't countenance paying any extra. they'd rather piss off to Britain.

QuoteOne of the smaller soccer stadiums could be upgraded to 40k capacity.
I don't know what smaller soccer stadium you are referring to.
I would suggest that an additional 35/40k capacity stadiumk could be developed by the GAA in Leinster. Let the FAI / IRFU worry about theirown lesser requiremetns.

QuoteLandsdowne Road should be sold and the proceeds divided between the interested parties accordingly.

Parties concerned? What are you on about. The IRFU own it. Just as we would get the monies form the sale of Croekr, the IRFU would get the proceeds from lansdowne.

Reflect on my first post - selling Croker is the only way we get anything tangible out of this situation.
Renting is just giving away our assets to tothers who gain more than ourselves.

bennydorano

Don't see the point in selling it, what happens when the monies recieved are spent and are all gone? Hard to believe that any sum recieved will be spent so wisely that we wont have to worry about anything ever again.

Hardy

That's an argument for refusing to take the money if you won the lottery.

bennydorano

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2007, 04:14:39 PM
That's an argument for refusing to take the money if you won the lottery.

You stake a pound or couple of Euro on the lotto, not a few hundred million. ;)

scalder

Quote from: realredhandfan on March 01, 2007, 11:05:19 AM
The carrot that will be dangled in front of the GAA by the end of next year will be to let Croke Park become  a national stadium with a retractable roof and the completion of the hill covered, not seated. 

But we don't need a roof, our games are played in the summer! No lads this is madness even contemplating this, its our head quarters, our national symbol the jewel in the GAA crown. Anyway we'd only be allowing the IRFU to cash in on Lansdowne to the tune of circa €1 Billion Euros, we'd be eat alive if they had that financial mussel behind them. Stand fast lads!