Wispa's

Started by Snowed Under, October 11, 2007, 08:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE MIGHTY QUINN

This from  http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1416989,00.html

The sweets graveyard

18 that we have loved and lost

1 Spangles Launched in 1948 by Mars, and sold in various incarnations. Withdrawn in the early 80s, only to resurface in the early 90s, to be dropped again.

2 Texan Ultra-chewy, chocolate-covered nougat bar launched in the mid-70s; disappeared in the mid-80s.

3 Banjo Boring two-fingered wafer bar, lasted for most of the 80s.

4 Aztec Cadbury paid out for a huge TV advertising campaign for this non-chocolate bar (it was peanuts stuck to a fudge finger); it lasted from 1968-1977.

5 Pacers The cloying mint version of Opal Fruits in the 70s and 80s, initially white but later adorned with three green stripes.

6 Chocolate toolbox No one now makes this fun but expensive-to-manufacture novelty box.

7 Callard & Bowser Creamline Toffees A 2001 casualty; they were better than Toffos.

8 Amazin Raisin 1971-78 - the sweets equivalent of rum'n'raisin ice cream.

9 Freshen Up Chewing gum with a liquid centre, an 80s innovation.

10 Bluebird Toffee A classic, but a recent casualty of confectionery industry takeovers.

11 Jap Desserts These old coconut sweets (coconut was often known as 'Jap') died a death in the early 2000s.

12 Cabana Short-lived but high-profile 80s bar that was a rich mix of coconut, caramel and whole cherries.

13 Counters (Galaxy) Harmless chocolate beans cruelly cut off.

14 Pink Panther Extraordinary strawberry-flavoured chocolate bars, thin like Milky Bars. An acquired taste.

15 Bandit Wafer biscuit - a challenger to Penguins (not).

16 Club bars From Jacobs. The full range has been withdrawn, but Orange is still available. Symbol guide: plain = jack of clubs; milk = golf ball; mint = green leaf. Bog-standard but likable for thick chocolate.

17 Nutty Pure 80s bar, with a smoky brown see-through wrapper. Peanuts encase a fudge-type caramel log centre.

18 Double Agent Extremely artificial blackcurrant- or apple-flavoured boiled sweets, with a sherbet centre and spy questions on the wrapper. Classic cold war confectionery.

Missing from this list are Treets and Opal Mints

Puckoon

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on October 13, 2007, 07:30:40 AM
This from  http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1416989,00.html

The sweets graveyard

18 that we have loved and lost

1 Spangles Launched in 1948 by Mars, and sold in various incarnations. Withdrawn in the early 80s, only to resurface in the early 90s, to be dropped again.

2 Texan Ultra-chewy, chocolate-covered nougat bar launched in the mid-70s; disappeared in the mid-80s.

3 Banjo Boring two-fingered wafer bar, lasted for most of the 80s.

4 Aztec Cadbury paid out for a huge TV advertising campaign for this non-chocolate bar (it was peanuts stuck to a fudge finger); it lasted from 1968-1977.

5 Pacers The cloying mint version of Opal Fruits in the 70s and 80s, initially white but later adorned with three green stripes.

6 Chocolate toolbox No one now makes this fun but expensive-to-manufacture novelty box.

7 Callard & Bowser Creamline Toffees A 2001 casualty; they were better than Toffos.

8 Amazin Raisin 1971-78 - the sweets equivalent of rum'n'raisin ice cream.

9 Freshen Up Chewing gum with a liquid centre, an 80s innovation.

10 Bluebird Toffee A classic, but a recent casualty of confectionery industry takeovers.

11 Jap Desserts These old coconut sweets (coconut was often known as 'Jap') died a death in the early 2000s.

12 Cabana Short-lived but high-profile 80s bar that was a rich mix of coconut, caramel and whole cherries.

13 Counters (Galaxy) Harmless chocolate beans cruelly cut off.

14 Pink Panther Extraordinary strawberry-flavoured chocolate bars, thin like Milky Bars. An acquired taste.

15 Bandit Wafer biscuit - a challenger to Penguins (not).

16 Club bars From Jacobs. The full range has been withdrawn, but Orange is still available. Symbol guide: plain = jack of clubs; milk = golf ball; mint = green leaf. Bog-standard but likable for thick chocolate.

17 Nutty Pure 80s bar, with a smoky brown see-through wrapper. Peanuts encase a fudge-type caramel log centre.

18 Double Agent Extremely artificial blackcurrant- or apple-flavoured boiled sweets, with a sherbet centre and spy questions on the wrapper. Classic cold war confectionery.

Missing from this list are Treets and Opal Mints

Really? That sucks. I liked a bit of chocolate on my biscuit! >:(

turkey+ham

Used to love nutty bars, WTF were treets?
Baker used to bring us bandits every sat when he brought Roy of the Rovers and the Beano

The Real Laoislad

My local Centra in Lucan finally got Wispa's in today  :)...I bought 5 of them  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Square Ball

Is there a world shortage of Wispas? Friend of mine owns a garage and he says a box of the things wont last more than a day. greedy feckers buy them in sixes (was gonna write 5 but see above) cant get enough of them in the cash and carry, cant see what the big fuss is about.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Square Ball on October 24, 2007, 10:23:10 PM
Is there a world shortage of Wispas? Friend of mine owns a garage and he says a box of the things wont last more than a day. greedy feckers buy them in sixes (was gonna write 5 but see above) cant get enough of them in the cash and carry, cant see what the big fuss is about.

I agree buying 6 is just down right greedy...

The fuss is in my opinion as a chocoholic is that they are the nicest bar on the market
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on October 24, 2007, 10:28:54 PM
QuoteThe fuss is in my opinion as a chocoholic that they are the nicest bar on the market
Bollox! The fuss is just a novelty that will fade away.

And bolix to you  :P  They were always my favourite bar and eating one after so many years is like having sex with a ex who was kinky in bed
You'll Never Walk Alone.

longball

anyone mind cadburys spira they were class havent seen one in ages"!
Wispas are class have usually have one every day
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on October 24, 2007, 10:41:06 PM
Ach your aul hole Laois Lad!
Cadbury's (Dairy Milk) Caramel or Galaxy Caramel beat the shite out of it.
Or that other Cadbury's one. I can't remember the name for some strange reason. It's a dairy milk with wee honeycomb bits in it. Gold something.
Gold Crisp ?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stpauls

had one tonight with my cup of tea after the grub, i can understand why people are buying them in 5's & 6's!!

Gold

they are hard to beat alright

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Croí na hÉireann

Can't beat a Double Decker with a cuppa tae...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Drumanee 1

bring back the star bar

Rma13

longball, just to let you know, the Flyte bar is basically the old Milky Way bar with different packaging & a new name, yum!

ziggysego

I've had one or two in my time. I don't recall them being that great. Nice, but nothing to shout about.
Testing Accessibility