Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

theskull1

So these people of 'greater influence' who you'd agree were moral corrupt, would have seen him as a pair of safe hands in light of him being a good and decent holy man rather than someone they could trust to keep schtum?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

I'm not privy to the mechanisms within the Church but I'd say the people of influence in the 1970s had little or no.influence by the time Brady became Primate

Lar Naparka

Quote from: theskull1 on October 10, 2014, 12:07:57 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 09:19:30 PM
Read this carefully.I have never denied Sean Brady made errors,though I would argue that there was people of far greater influence in the church than him at that time,who should have acted differently.My core argument is against the absolute demonisation of an essentially good,decent and Holy man.

And the great man who was once a feeble man without moral conviction.......he was able to rise through the echelons to the top level being promoted by those who had 'greater influence' because he was a good decent  and holy man....that's the long and short of it Tony?]

Have you ever seen or heard the likes?
Even Paul on the road to Damascus couldn't better that! ;D
Here we had John B Brady, a "36-year-old-minnion," if Tony is to be believed. In common or garden language, he was a gobshite  who didn't know the difference between a "mere notary" and the leader of a hit squad that set out to deceive innocent children, and their trusting parents.

According to John B himself and his chief apologist, he merely took notes, prepared a report for his superior, duly passed it on and took no further part in proceedings.
However, sometime later, this Pontius Pilate developed balls of iron and licked arse or kicked arse, as the situation demanded, until he found himself in command of the Church on this island.
That's not bad for any eejit who was only his bishop's go-for at 36, a bishop himself at 56 and a Cardinal at 66.
I often wondered how this amazing transformation took place but I think I've found the answer.
It was the change of name that caused it.
Just as Saul called himself Paul after his life changing experience, John B turned into Sean and look at all the good things that happened after that.
I wonder if I changed my name to Tony would I also become a fearless defender of the indefensible?
Just a thought, that's all- or maybe a fecking nightmare.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

theskull1

Tony would have us believe there were a few bad apples who out of sheer cloaked skulduggery made it up through the ranks and then they died off and were replaced by good decent holy men. The fact that cover ups and silencing happened the world over for decades is seemingly lost on him.

T Fearon

Bollix.The man midjudged a situation when a comparatively inexperienced cleric, like any of us he does not wish to draw attention to this.

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM
Bollix.The man midjudged a situation when a comparatively inexperienced cleric, like any of us he does not wish to draw attention to this.

He played the game Tony, that's what he did.

Ordained in '64, doctorate in Canon Law in '67 and then at the age of 36 silenced children. Inexperienced my hole. Sure gods only son didn't even make it to 36 and he's the one youse all revere (plus he had a shorter ministry)

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM
Bollix.The man midjudged a situation when a comparatively inexperienced cleric, like any of us he does not wish to draw attention to this.....

.....and covered it up for years. Unfortunately this misjudgement silenced victims who had evidence of abuse by Smyth, and crucially were willing to state it, and allowed Smyth to go on abusing for years.

BTW when did he cange his name and has he ever given a reason for this?
MWWSI 2017

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 09:05:01 PM
I believe Sean Brady has acknowledged his errors and admitted his shame.He did nothing more than al of us has done,move a difficult problem we didn't want to deal with on.Unfortunately neither he or his clerical colleagues considered the consequences of allowing Smyth to remain in circulation,but then again those were vastly different times

Yes he vas only following ze orders ya ..... "I did my duty" .. Heard that before somewhere !!

He's a pathetic man with disgusting morals who cared about his career a damn site better than he ever cared about those children and the children Smyth would go on to rape after that !!

And no, he didnt do "nothing more than all of us have done" and its an insult to decent people to suggest that ... You're a vile little creep and to suggest that this is just some problem to be casually moved on really does show you for what you are..   I would like to think that you're the only creature in this discussion who would have followed his example.. .. There really are some awful f**king weirdoes in the world !!

Your views are truly loathsome

T Fearon

What is this about "career" Ffs any cleric would tell you that elevation to parish priest status is a poisoned chalice (pardon the pun) never mind Bishop,Cardinal or Pope! Thankless task,no family support and relentless criticism from not least anti Catholics.

The man was caught up in a dreadful scenario not of his making and being human did not want this particular skeleton to come out of the cupboard to bring further shame upon a church that's reeling due to its mishandling of child abuse.This does not make him a decent

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 10, 2014, 07:28:22 PM
What is this about "career" Ffs any cleric would tell you that elevation to parish priest status is a poisoned chalice (pardon the pun) never mind Bishop,Cardinal or Pope! Thankless task,no family support and relentless criticism from not least anti Catholics.

The man was caught up in a dreadful scenario not of his making and being human did not want this particular skeleton to come out of the cupboard to bring further shame upon a church that's reeling due to its mishandling of child abuse.This does not make him a decent

You admit this 'skeleton' brings shame onto the Church.

You also admit, in a roundabout way, that he covered it up.

This is precisely why most posters here have a problem with Sean Brady. Yet you argue with them at very turn and call them anti-Catholic for pointing out what you just pointed out.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I admit, as I have done consistently, that the Church (and Brady was obviously a part of it) badly mishandled the child abuse scandal.I believe the parents also failed their children.Howver I don't believe that the mishandling of child abuse makes Brady or the parents bad people.Simple as that! I don't hero worship Sean Brady, and I believe far too many on this thread use any excuse to bash th Catholic Church in general and if they can target a big player, ie the Cardinal himself,it makes them orgasmic.Now you tell me who has problems?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 10, 2014, 11:43:38 PM
I admit, as I have done consistently, that the Church (and Brady was obviously a part of it) badly mishandled the child abuse scandal.I believe the parents also failed their children.Howver I don't believe that the mishandling of child abuse makes Brady or the parents bad people.Simple as that! I don't hero worship Sean Brady, and I believe far too many on this thread use any excuse to bash th Catholic Church in general and if they can target a big player, ie the Cardinal himself,it makes them orgasmic.Now you tell me who has problems?

You consistently try to shield Brady and water-down his involvement, by blaming the parents. Not one single other poster here has blamed the parents and certainly no one else has callously used them as political cover for Brady's failures. Everyone can see through this Tony.

Remember Brady, according to Boland's book, was given the names of possibly up to 6 children being abused by Smyth at the time. He only spoke to 2 and apparently didn't inform the parents of 1, while of course silencing him with an illegal oath. The only parents we know for definite, who knew anything, were Brendan Boland's and they only knew about their own son's abuse.

There absolutely is no comparison between the parents and Brady. He was the investigator of Smyth's abuse! He silenced the children, probably illegally!!! And it was Boland parents that ultimately went to the police. Brady afaik, still has not gone to the police explain his involvement.

He then kept his mouth shut on this issue for decades, denying Boland access to any records of his investigation, but astonishingly continued lecturing on many other moral issues, while rising to the highest clerical position on this island. Any sane Catholic would shudder at the hypocrisy.

But you think this was a burden on poor Brady. You think he is the victim. You blame the parents.

I would love to be a fly on the pearly gate when St. Peter meets yourself and Sean Brady.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I am not sharing blame on a proportional basis.Brady was merely following archaic procedures which were totally ineffective,and I still say the parents have to share some of the blame.As far as I can see Brady has acknowledged his failings and sought forgiveness birth from the victims and from God,now what more do you want?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 11, 2014, 05:56:22 PM
I am not sharing blame on a proportional basis.Brady was merely following archaic procedures which were totally ineffective,and I still say the parents have to share some of the blame.As far as I can see Brady has acknowledged his failings and sought forgiveness birth from the victims and from God,now what more do you want?

In your eyes:

Brady = merely following procedures = thus a victim

Parents = some of the blame = part of the problem

What do you think I want?

MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Getting repetitive now. I've never been in favour of locking up threads, but this one needs to be out out its misery.