Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

T Fearon

The simple point I'm trying to make is that the parents have to share some of the blame alongside the culpability of the Church.

mikehunt

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 02:35:59 PM
The simple point I'm trying to make is that the parents have to share some of the blame alongside the culpability of the Church.

So what you're saying here is that everyone is to blame, including some victims for having the audacity to seek compensation? The church, the parents, the victims, the govt of the day, society, that includes pretty much everyone; except one person.

A person who interviewed the victims, took notes, swore these victims to secrecy, ommitted their parents from the interview, did nothing about the perp, covered up his involvement, who when his involvment became known denied any wrong doing and brazened it out until the very end.

That argument should be used as a the definition of "entrenched" in the next issue of the Oxford dictionary.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

Jesus wept!

Just when you thought he couldn't dig that hole any deeper, he keeps on going.

AZOffaly

He's that deep now, he's actually digging up.

Eamonnca1

I heard a lot of Irish were trying to get to Australia but this is ridiculous.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 08, 2014, 03:13:36 PM
If Sean Brady is guilty of even one of the things you allege,why has he not been questioned by the Police?

There are 2 answers to that.

Firstly my comments on this thread have been about the crimes of the church and not specifically Brady and those comments stand.

Secondly on Brady we should keep a watching brief on who wants to talk to him. As i have said before there is a major (no criminal) inquiry in progress at the moment and criminal trials will flow from that if the evidence can be amassed.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 08, 2014, 08:28:18 PM
Reporting the matter to the Police was the proper course of action in the first place and both the Church and Parents failed in that regard.Still I wouldn't be too hard on either party,as neither knew then what we know now,the absolute monstrosity that was Brendan Smyth

Its is true that neither party reported the matter to the police. Only one party tried the silence the other though. Only one had an agenda.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 08, 2014, 11:00:07 PM
The parents have to examine their conscience and ask themselves if they did all they could have done.

McGuire full Cathedral,Brady in altar,Church in rude health despite the minority of any Catholics filled with loathing

You are right. There is no harm in asking ourselves thoses questions. But we do know that when sean brady asks himself those questions the definitive answer is that they did not do all that could have been done and that his action facilitated further abused. I can only imagine the shame that must confront him daily.

T Fearon

I can only refer once again to my own tenuous experience of sex abuse in the workplace back in the 70s ,when the children abused told their parents, identified the abuser, the parents told the Police and the culprit was arrested,convicted and jailed.These were children of the same era as those interviewed by Brady,I simply cannot understand why those children acted differently,why didn't they tell their parents? Why didn't the parents make it their business to know?

T Fearon

I believe Sean Brady has acknowledged his errors and admitted his shame.He did nothing more than al of us has done,move a difficult problem we didn't want to deal with on.Unfortunately neither he or his clerical colleagues considered the consequences of allowing Smyth to remain in circulation,but then again those were vastly different times

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 08:59:45 PM
I can only refer once again to my own tenuous experience of sex abuse in the workplace back in the 70s ,when the children abused told their parents, identified the abuser, the parents told the Police and the culprit was arrested,convicted and jailed.These were children of the same era as those interviewed by Brady,I simply cannot understand why those children acted differently,why didn't they tell their parents? Why didn't the parents make it their business to know?

The contrast between the first scenario and the second which is from the same era but involved the catholic church is telling. Very telling indeed.

The facts clearly are that by asking the vivtims to be silent and by facilitating further abuse and the creation of further victims brady acted in a manner below the standards of any moral or even caring or intelligent person. Your own stiry confirms they were below the wider standards of the epoch and jis actions cannot be explained away by the things were different then type of evasion that ocassionaly crops up.

T Fearon

Read this carefully.I have never denied Sean Brady made errors,though I would argue that there was people of far greater influence in the church than him at that time,who should have acted differently.My core argument is against the absolute demonisation of an essentially good,decent and Holy man.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 09:19:30 PM
Read this carefully.I have never denied Sean Brady made errors,though I would argue that there was people of far greater influence in the church than him at that time,who should have acted differently.My core argument is against the absolute demonisation of an essentially good,decent and Holy man.

Argue what you like about the man but his actions in at least this instance was repulsive and below the standard you would raise a child to replicate.

As for the wider guilt in the chich then yes lets go after them. This is not about scapegoats. Seek out and punish guilt wherever it lies.

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2014, 09:19:30 PM

And the great man who was once a feeble man without moral conviction.......he was able to rise through the echelons to the top level being promoted by those who had 'greater influence' because he was a good decent  and holy man....that's the long and short of it Tony?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Indeed,but like all humans he is not without blemishes along the way