The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I don't hate any sport but I do hate sky sports and I do mean hate. I don't say that lightly as I think it's a bit sad to hate things like a sport or a TV show but I feel sky sports have ripped the soul out many sports. For me sport is about participating, ideally as a player or coach but it can be in administration or as a supporter, sitting on your backside in front of the TV is not sport. Worse than that, sky sports over expose their main sports to such a degree that even sports I like are flogged to death to such a degree I can hardly watch them.

Coaching kids IS sport, sitting on your arse watching middle aged twats watching sport on a TV is NOT sport. Standing on a wet grassy terrace watching your team IS sport, watching Jamie Redknapp and co. talk rubbish for 3 hours is NOT sport. Getting out of bed on a Sunday morning to play a junior league game IS sport, managing a team IS sport while boring your mates with your pseudo 'expertise' on EVERY sport on TV is NOT sport.

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on November 08, 2013, 03:30:44 PM
I don't hate any sport but I do hate sky sports and I do mean hate. I don't say that lightly as I think it's a bit sad to hate things like a sport or a TV show but I feel sky sports have ripped the soul out many sports. For me sport is about participating, ideally as a player or coach but it can be in administration or as a supporter, sitting on your backside in front of the TV is not sport. Worse than that, sky sports over expose their main sports to such a degree that even sports I like are flogged to death to such a degree I can hardly watch them.

Coaching kids IS sport, sitting on your arse watching middle aged t**ts watching sport on a TV is NOT sport. Standing on a wet grassy terrace watching your team IS sport, watching Jamie Redknapp and co. talk rubbish for 3 hours is NOT sport. Getting out of bed on a Sunday morning to play a junior league game IS sport, managing a team IS sport while boring your mates with your pseudo 'expertise' on EVERY sport on TV is NOT sport.

You get a round of applause from me good sir well played great post!!

gallsman

Coaching kids IS sport, sitting on your arse watching middle aged t**ts watching sport on a TV is NOT sport. Standing on a wet grassy terrace watching your team IS sport, watching Jamie Redknapp and co. talk rubbish for 3 hours is NOT sport. Getting out of bed on a Sunday morning to play a junior league game IS sport, managing a team IS sport while boring your mates with your pseudo 'expertise' on EVERY sport on TV is NOT sport.

Agree. I watch it a lot and pay €35 a month for the privilege but I despise myself for it. Sky Sports News is one worst abominations in the history of television. Sky Sports is effectively the Sun, the Mirror and the Daily Mail rolled into one in televisual format.

Billys Boots

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 12:56:07 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 09:51:21 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 08, 2013, 09:43:51 AM
Are all contests of physical endeavour not sports?  Where do you draw the line?

You can't. Doesn't stop people trying though.

Is shagging a sport?

I didn't think it was a contest - I might be wrong.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Zulu

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 03:37:06 PM

Agree. I watch it a lot and pay €35 a month for the privilege but I despise myself for it. Sky Sports News is one worst abominations in the history of television. Sky Sports is effectively the Sun, the Mirror and the Daily Mail rolled into one in televisual format.

Exactly, an analogy I've used myself!!

magpie seanie

I enjoyed that post and don't disagree with any of it.

As someone said I hate myself for what I'm paying the feckers every month. Once the American Football is over I'm getting rid of it and I think I'll get Game Pass or something else next year. They have (helped) destroyed soccer. It's 1000 (add as many zeros as you see fit) times more enjoyable to go to a game than watch on TV. I'm not a major rugby fan but when I was over in London last I went to see Rosslyn Park with a couple of mates and it was a great day's craic. That's what sport is about for me.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 04:24:50 PM

I enjoyed that post and don't disagree with any of it.

As someone said I hate myself for what I'm paying the feckers every month. Once the American Football is over I'm getting rid of it and I think I'll get Game Pass or something else next year. They have (helped) destroyed soccer. It's 1000 (add as many zeros as you see fit) times more enjoyable to go to a game than watch on TV. I'm not a major rugby fan but when I was over in London last I went to see Rosslyn Park with a couple of mates and it was a great day's craic. That's what sport is about for me.

Couple of great posts there. Would agree with these sentiments.

deiseach

Wow, such self-loathing. There should be a support group called Sky Sports Anonymous.

AZOffaly

My name is AZ, and I like Sky Sports. I also like ESPN, BT Sports and Setanta. What can I say? I like watching sport on TV.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 08, 2013, 04:37:17 PM
My name is AZ, and I like Sky Sports. I also like ESPN, BT Sports and Setanta. What can I say? I like watching sport on TV.

That doesn't work. We all know your real name, Cornelius.

Zulu

While I don't really like watching sport on TV, that's not what I dislike. I can't see American football, top level boxing, IC GAA or many other sports live where I live so if I want to see them I watch them on TV. However, sky sports try to convince you everything is now the 'greatest ever', they flog every sport to death so that the majority of what they are reporting is so mundane that you'd want to be, how can I say this, a bit 'slow' to find it genuinely interesting or worthwhile.

There is nothing wrong with watching a bit of sport on TV but sky sports is the X factor for blokes. In addition, I know quite a few lads who will happily tell me what the munster rugby coach or Chelsea manager should do in a match as well as telling me how good/bad a boxer, formula 1 driver, tennis player and swimmer is while all the while never playing or coaching any sport. They apparently love sport while only engaging in it from the comfort of their couches, that isn't sport at all.

For me, Sky sports, is like a company seeing Christmas day is very popular and trying to have it every day. To make money they have to convince us that there is nothing boring or bad about Christmas day, it's all brilliant and it's all brilliant every day of the week, week in week out. As I said, I find sky sports promotion of sport to be quite soulless and packaged, their promotion of the last lions tour was a perfect case in point. The more they promoted it and the more they tried to make out these mid week games were important they less interest I had in the tests.

Maybe I'm getting old but there is now so much sport on TV that I hardly watch any of it. Outside of the NFL and GAA I care little for any sport though I've played many and have yet to try a sport I didn't enjoy to some degree.

thebigfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 08, 2013, 04:37:17 PM

Have to agree with this, it's the only reason I have a TV. I would very much like to attend all these sporting events on TV but that isn't realistic. I also like participating and gambling on sport.

I suppose I just like sport.

thebigfella

Quote from: Zulu on November 08, 2013, 05:00:10 PM
While I don't really like watching sport on TV, that's not what I dislike. I can't see American football, top level boxing, IC GAA or many other sports live where I live so if I want to see them I watch them on TV. However, sky sports try to convince you everything is now the 'greatest ever', they flog every sport to death so that the majority of what they are reporting is so mundane that you'd want to be, how can I say this, a bit 'slow' to find it genuinely interesting or worthwhile.

There is nothing wrong with watching a bit of sport on TV but sky sports is the X factor for blokes. In addition, I know quite a few lads who will happily tell me what the munster rugby coach or Chelsea manager should do in a match as well as telling me how good/bad a boxer, formula 1 driver, tennis player and swimmer is while all the while never playing or coaching any sport. They apparently love sport while only engaging in it from the comfort of their couches, that isn't sport at all.

For me, Sky sports, is like a company seeing Christmas day is very popular and trying to have it every day. To make money they have to convince us that there is nothing boring or bad about Christmas day, it's all brilliant and it's all brilliant every day of the week, week in week out. As I said, I find sky sports promotion of sport to be quite soulless and packaged, their promotion of the last lions tour was a perfect case in point. The more they promoted it and the more they tried to make out these mid week games were important they less interest I had in the tests.

Maybe I'm getting old but there is now so much sport on TV that I hardly watch any of it. Outside of the NFL and GAA I care little for any sport though I've played many and have yet to try a sport I didn't enjoy to some degree.

You think about this way to much, get a life.

Zulu

Says the man who spends his free time sitting on his arse gambling his money away watching all manner of shite sports. I have a life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on November 08, 2013, 05:10:36 PM
Says the man who spends his free time sitting on his arse gambling his money away watching all manner of shite sports. I have a life.

That's not fair. Maybe he wins!