Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 08, 2013, 01:28:27 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 12:56:07 PM
Is shagging a sport?

No. There are no rules.

I think there are. Unwritten and vary from match to match but they exist I think.

There has to be a line somewhere. For me it's well before "beating the crap out of someone" or MMA as many people call it.
It's called the perineum.
Very good  :)

thebigfella

Quote from: Zulu on November 08, 2013, 05:10:36 PM
Says the man who spends his free time sitting on his arse gambling his money away watching all manner of shite sports. I have a life.

No you don't, that previous post is pseudo intellectual smug sh1te. You should get that superiority complex sorted and join the rest of us watching x factor for blokes  ::)

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 08, 2013, 05:20:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 08, 2013, 05:10:36 PM
Says the man who spends his free time sitting on his arse gambling his money away watching all manner of shite sports. I have a life.

That's not fair. Maybe he wins!

Think it's very fair AZ, I wasn't the one insulting another poster. I can only imagine he is taking personally because it's a bit too close to the bone.

QuoteNo you don't, that previous post is pseudo intellectual smug sh1te. You should get that superiority complex sorted and join the rest of us watching x factor for blokes  ::)

You see, this guy equates not liking sky sports or spending your free time stuck to your couch and the Paddy Power website open on your laptop as not having a life. That ain't living in my book!! So if being outside coaching sport in my free time in preference for sitting on my hole watching Wycombe wanderers
playing Colchester Utd in (yet) another mankind defining event is not having a life then I'm quite happy having no life.

And yeah, bigfella, sky sports is X factor for blokes but don't upset yourself too much, if your happy waiting for betting tips off Ray Winestone and listening to the oohs and ahhs of Phil Thompson all the while convincing yourself that this living more power to ya.

The Iceman

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't sport.
In my book MMA is the best sport on the planet. I can more or less watch nearly any sport on TV and I'll watch the sports I enjoy first over most other things if they are on TV. Going to live sporting events is great - but some other sports are made for TV (NFL) and some to be recorded and skipped through (baseball) IMO.

The UFC is not a sport -it's a promotion that showcases the sport of MMA - Mixed Martial Arts. It has lots of rules and a judging system.
Moaning about ground fighting and calling it hugging is just being ignorant. Try it some time and see how much technique is involved and try listening to the commentary to grasp the "game of chess" you are obviously missing.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2013, 07:29:34 PM
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't sport.
In my book MMA is the best sport on the planet. I can more or less watch nearly any sport on TV and I'll watch the sports I enjoy first over most other things if they are on TV. Going to live sporting events is great - but some other sports are made for TV (NFL) and some to be recorded and skipped through (baseball) IMO.

The UFC is not a sport -it's a promotion that showcases the sport of MMA - Mixed Martial Arts. It has lots of rules and a judging system.
Moaning about ground fighting and calling it hugging is just being ignorant. Try it some time and see how much technique is involved and try listening to the commentary to grasp the "game of chess" you are obviously missing.

I have a treat for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCj92zA0tU
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Thanks Muppet - I actually got a laugh out of that. I did a bit of working hunter in my late teens early 20s.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

laoislad

Wrestling.
Not the Olympic type but the WWE or whatever it's called.
Then it's not really a sport is it?
Almost as bad as Rugby.Almost.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 08, 2013, 04:37:17 PM
My name is AZ, and I like Sky Sports. I also like ESPN, BT Sports and Setanta. What can I say? I like watching sport on TV.

I agree with AZ. I love all the sport channels.
First thing I turn on in the morning  when having the breakfast is Sky Sports News. Their Golf coverage is brilliant as is the football.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Zulu

If you like it fair enough but sky sports news makes me want to cry sometimes. I remember one segment where they were taking about somebody's appearances for England (I think) and then they proceeded to list out each one, one by one. It went something like this -

Sue: 'Today Jim Smith will get his 50th cap for England and Mike Jones looks at his career to date, Mike...'

Mike (standing in front of screen with details of the first 6 caps which Mike proceeds to read out anyway): 'Thanks Sue, Jim made his debut against Croatia in 2009 at Wembley and then got his second cap, as a sub, against Wales in September 2009

Mike then works his way through all 50 (as the screen updates): Jim's 48th cap, and first goal, came in a friendly against Colombia in March 2013.....

It reminded me of a guy counting the cracks in the pavement while waiting on a bus. Talk about dragging the arse out of 'news'!!!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 08, 2013, 04:37:17 PM
My name is AZ, and I like Sky Sports. I also like ESPN, BT Sports and Setanta. What can I say? I like watching sport on TV.

Good for you.

Surely though you can see the ridiculous hyperbole that oozes out of Sky Sports in particular? It's a business and as a sports fan it's probably better that they're covering so much rather than pre-Sky when there was f**k all spot on TV but Christ they are annoying at times.

AZOffaly

Of course I can, but you don't have to believe that Fulham v Stoke is a clash of Giants, or that Liverpool v United in September is a title decider. I just like to have the chance to watch Liverpool, Italian Soccer, NCAA, NFL etc.

I'm also involved in sport outside my couch, but I think it's a bit much to 'hate' sports channels.

Of course my remark was tongue in cheek and was a response to the self flagellation of a couple of the posters before me.

Zulu

QuoteOf course I can, but you don't have to believe that Fulham v Stoke is a clash of Giants, or that Liverpool v United in September is a title decider. I just like to have the chance to watch Liverpool, Italian Soccer, NCAA, NFL etc.

I've no problem with that AZ, nor, I imagine does anyone else.

QuoteI'm also involved in sport outside my couch, but I think it's a bit much to 'hate' sports channels.

I know that but many people aren't yet claim to love sport, that certainly grates on me. You must know as well as I do how hard it can be to get coaches for underage yet there are thousands of 'sport' fans sitting on their arses each week when they could be out actually making sport happen. This discussion also needs to be taken in the context of the thread, I don't berate my friends who fall into the category I just described above, each to their own at the end of the day. However, once the thread was started I made the point that sports channels like sky sports while bringing us great sport on occasion are also packaging rubbish as great sport and selling it to us. Like the X factor there is a manipulative crassness about sky sports that genuine sports people like yourself must see.

gallsman

Sometimes I want to put my foot through the tv when Sky Sports is on. To name a few:

1) A few years ago, on transfer deadline day (A Sky invention - anyone who sits in front of this nonsense for five or six hours is, quite simply, a moron. Apologies to anyone on the board if this applies to you), they broadcast footage of Jim White arriving at the Sky Sports studio getting ready to present his shift on Sky Sports...

2) When Spurs played Milan in the CL a few years ago, their studio was pitchside and Jamie Redknapp was a pundit. 'Arry landed in after the match and instead of doing match analysis, they just had a big love in.

3) Any time 'Arry gives an interview through a car window.

4) Georgie Thompson was presenting her last shift on SSN. Before moving to another Sky Sports channel. 'Arry just "happened" to ring up to congratulate her. I don't know why. Georgie got all "emotional", saying it was such a surprise. If there is one thing tht is not surprising on Sky Sports, it's 'Arry being on the phone.

It's not journalism, it's not news- it's just absolute garbage.

AZOffaly

They have a product. You are a consumer. If you decide to sit on your arse watching tractor pulling from Ukraine because sky sports tell you it's the best tractor pulling event of all time on "Tremendous Tuesday Tractors!!!!" Then that's your fault, not theirs. What do you want them to do? "Look lads, we've paid millions for this shite, but we need ye to subscribe so please put up with it as best you can. Actually never mind that, go down to the local pitch, we'll be fine and there's nothing worth watching until Sunday week"?

I know what you are saying, but if you can't make a choice about what you want to watch without Sky telling you this is awesome, then you shouldn't even have control of the remote :)

Minder

BT Sport is on the verge of announcing a £1bn deal which would end two decades of Champions League football on terrestrial TV, according to a senior source at the company.
The broadcaster has been in advanced talks with Uefa, and is understood to be close to revealing it has won the right to show Champions League and Europa League matches for the first time from 2015.
A reported three-year deal will be seen as a significant blow to both Sky and ITV, who currently share the rights.
BT launched its UK sports channels on 1 August, 2013, in a challenge to the dominance of sports coverage on Sky.
Sky has previously fended off competition from other broadasters, such as ITV Digital, Setanta and ESPN, after they all entered the pay-TV football market.
BT has already spent £738m over three years for the rights to 38 live Premier League matches for the 2012-2013 season. while Sky paid £2.3bn for 116 matches a season.
More to follow
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"