AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: fearglasmor on September 19, 2010, 06:30:15 PM
Well one Cork, deserved win. Plenty of football ability as well as athletic ability.

I have great regard for Down too, made everything around the final a great occasion,  unlike some other counties they have a bit of class about them.

Easier to say when you don't have to live next door to them.

jas376

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2010, 12:59:26 AM
E Cadogan and O Leary great price to be shown yellow card

Oh Really, Yeah! What a horrible bet to offer on the back of two very sporting players. I'm glad that nobody won money on that awful bet.

INDIANA

Quote from: jas376 on September 19, 2010, 07:44:49 PM

Oh Really, Yeah! What a horrible bet to offer on the back of two very sporting players. I'm glad that nobody won money on that awful bet.

If ever I needed a reminder of why I dislike Cork its you

Shamrock Shore

Well done Cork - hard luck Down.

Great final. Full of swings and roundabouts.

My Cork mother is very happy and that's good enough for me.

Hope Hardy brings a cake into the office tomorrow!

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on September 19, 2010, 05:20:41 PM
it was a good game. It certainly wasn't a cracker.
good last 20 or so, pretty poor before that - the first half was awful.

Maguire01

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 19, 2010, 06:23:07 PM
Down seniors didn't win any trophy this year.
Amazing insight!
No trophy, but probably a more 'successful' year than a lot of teams who did win trophies - Armagh, Meath, Kerry, Tyrone...

jas376

Quote from: INDIANA on September 19, 2010, 07:46:39 PM

You don't know me so  please don't judge me. As for the bet, would you bet on players being penalised? It's the first time that  I've ever heard of it. I hope that it doesn't become common practice.

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 19, 2010, 05:45:09 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 19, 2010, 05:40:32 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on September 19, 2010, 05:39:04 PM
whats the betting bernard brogans somewhere about sprucefield thumping the steering and shouting to himself "never again" >:(
I'd say he's probably sitting down to a slapup feed and thinking about the nice big pay-cheque.

What exactly is a slap-up feed? Always wondered
Probably a steak.

Bogball XV

Quote from: lawnseed on September 19, 2010, 06:15:35 PM
to be honest down were there on a wing and a prayer, cork are great athletes but not great footballers. for the second time the boys in white coats could have seriously changed the outcome of the premier tournament. had down equalised or even won the rebels could have pointed to a clear penalty- denied.
it would have been a very harsh penalty imo, whilst he may have just touched the ball on the ground (but may not have) it had no influence on the ball, i'd liken it to an unavoidable ball to hand situation rather than the other way round.

orangeman

Well done to Cork and many congratulations for having stuck with it. These Cork lads have endured a lot of hurt as past few years and you couldn't bergrudge them their win.

I reallt feel sorry for Down who played Cork off the park in the first half. The few scores thart Ceork got in the latter stages of the first half left them within touching distance at half time and gave them the belief that they could go out and win the 2nd half.

One of the highlights of game and worth the admission fee alone was the mount of high feilding on display by both sides - the best example has to be Benny Coulter's high fetch on the edge of the sqaure in the first half - pure class.

Pride has been restored in Down football. Well done to the players and management. They've played some lovely football this year and it's a joy to watch when they're in full flow.

Again, congrats to Cork. They deserved their win and it was one that was coming for a long time.

INDIANA

Quote from: jas376 on September 19, 2010, 07:58:33 PM

You don't know me so  please don't judge me. As for the bet, would you bet on players being penalised? It's the first time that  I've ever heard of it. I hope that it doesn't become common practice.

I don't need to know you. I only have to read the drivel you post. Perhaps you should direct your ire about the people offering the bets if you feel that badly about it.

jas376

Quote from: INDIANA on September 19, 2010, 08:14:56 PM
Quote from: jas376 on September 19, 2010, 07:58:33 PM

I don't need to know you. I only have to read the drivel you post. Perhaps you should direct your ire about the people offering the bets if you feel that badly about it.

Sorry, I thought that this was a discussion forum -  I must be in the wrong place then.

mylestheslasher

Congratulations to Cork, I think they just about deserved the win. Down played an heroic game and I think were at the very top of what they could do today but it was just not to be. I think Down supporters should be very proud of their players and management. I think it is very sad to read on this thread the nasty sniping from some fellow Ulstermen. As a Cavan man I have been at an awful lot of games against Down in different age groups through out the years and I have found them to be some of the best behaved supporters in Ulster. This year gives Down a great platform to build on and it is worth noting that your Tyrones and Armaghs had to take a right few beatings over the years before their team made it to the top.

paddypastit

Really not a very good game or a particularly enjoyable event.  Cork were awful in the first half and Down had a good spell in the middle of it but the half time lead felt very fragile to me. Cork should have been well ahead after five minutes but I feared that their sloppiness in front of goal would cost them. Thought Down were more composed in possession at that stage and played some great football but overall it was ordianry. Cork's introduc tion of Murphy at HT was crucial. They won so they won't worry but I thought that he shopuld have been in 15 minutes before HT/ The timing of Canty's introduction worked a treat too and although his direct influence only lasted for about 15 / 20 minutes, it was central to the turnaround. The man that drove that turnaround thought has Kerrigan whose running forced the spaces and the chances.  For me the m-o-m is between him and O'Connor who really had Gordon in trouble from the first minute - if Cork had kept feeding him, they would have been comfortable a lot earlier.  There was a lot of talk on radio about Goulding. Yes he got 9 points but personally, I don't agree with giving m-o-m awards to guys who score frees - particulalry when they do little else. On the whole I can away from the day feeling rather underwhelmed... a friend declared that it was a victory for machismo over any semblance of football ability, and I tend to agree with him... with the caveat that there was some football played on both sides but nowhere near enough.

Finally, listened to Micheal O'M today as I watched, as I had done in the hurling final. I think he is wise in stepping down while folk see him as being ahead. He really does struggle to keep up with the game, continuously calls the players wrong and often is unable to explain what has happened when there is a break in play. Given that most listeners aren't actually watching the game, it may not make much difference, and maybe he was always missing things but he is right to go now...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

gallsman

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 08:00:45 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on September 19, 2010, 06:15:35 PM
to be honest down were there on a wing and a prayer, cork are great athletes but not great footballers. for the second time the boys in white coats could have seriously changed the outcome of the premier tournament. had down equalised or even won the rebels could have pointed to a clear penalty- denied.
it would have been a very harsh penalty imo, whilst he may have just touched the ball on the ground (but may not have) it had no influence on the ball, i'd liken it to an unavoidable ball to hand situation rather than the other way round.

f**k that, he blatantly lifted it off the ground about three inches from his goal.

Not having a go at you or anything but how on earth was it unavoidable??