O Leary gets the all clear

Started by meathie, August 22, 2007, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Other than the couple of isolated GG incidents, I don't think Meath were anything approaching dirty or kn**ker football or puke football. They were tough enough, but no more than anyone else IMO. I didnt notice any off the ball hits or sly digs or negative tactics. I don't think the current team is anything like the team of old. If you're looking for a team its like, I'd pick the current Dublin team. Try to defend tough, hard and fair, and then attack with flair. On a good day!  

full back

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on August 22, 2007, 03:08:07 PM
Don't think it is right but it is the exact same senario as what GG done in the Dublin game and there was no further action taken there. Brian Crowe took what he thought to be the correct action on the field. I think that had he changed the decision with reference to video evidence it would have tarnished his reputation as a top referee.

Not quite deal me in. In the GG case against the Dubs it was during a period of action & the punch GG threw was after the ball was released.
O'Leary's punch certainly wasnt the exact same scenario

Agree with Lynchboy's synopsis

Tankie

whatever way you look at it the fact he got off makes a joke of the the rules, he punched a fellower player and it is seen as alrite!
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 03:35:00 PM
whatever way you look at it the fact he got off makes a joke of the the rules, he punched a fellower player and it is seen as alrite!

Very Short memory Tankie do you?
I remember C Whelan getting away with punching a Meath player a few years just as the ball was being thrown in to start the game
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Declan

3 minutes- surprised it took you that long LaoisLad

Onlooker

Any idea what happened to Carton, the Dublin hurler.  Has his case been dealt with yet?.

Fear ón Srath Bán

From Seán Moran in the Irish Times today:

The GAA now faces this prospect on two fronts: Dublin under-21 hurler Peadar Carton...

But the first [Carton] is even more damning. Originally suspended for - at best - a dangerously reckless swing at Tipperary's Paul Curran, which broke the opposing player's jaw and - given the tight margins involved - possibly cost Tipp a place in the All-Ireland semi-finals, Carton is still, so to speak, at large.

Firstly his case wasn't processed in time to prevent an appearance in the Leinster under-21 final against Offaly, during which he scored an important goal. Then, having been suspended for eight weeks, he benefited from an appeal, which was accepted on "technical" grounds by the Central Appeals Committee.

There were still no particular grounds for further concern, because the whole case was referred back for rehearing, and had that been expedited no additional harm would have been done.

But despite there being over a week between this decision and Dublin's All-Ireland semi-final against Derry, nothing was done and Carton played again and once more scored a goal.

The matter is back under consideration and there are nearly three weeks to go to the under-21 final, but it looks likely to be scrapped over all the way to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) if necessary.

Dublin had their choice on this matter. Had Carton's suspension been accepted from the start, he could have served the suspension and still got back for the All-Ireland, providing the team had qualified in his absence.

If they wouldn't have been able to get by without him, it makes the whole business even worse because it means Dublin won a Leinster title by speciously exploiting rules and procedures intended to ensure fair play.

Should Carton somehow beat the rap and play in an All-Ireland final, the GAA and all members who value fairness - and that includes any Dublin hurling enthusiasts I have spoken to - will rightly be in despair.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

loughshore lad

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 22, 2007, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2007, 03:10:49 PM
Meath, Tyrone and Monaghan dirty ??? Just because Armagh didn't win anything you would have had them in there as well ??
Surely this is being a bit unfair to teams ?
not a bit - Armagh are a tough physical side , like Dublin, but apart from isolated incidents I would not class them as dirty.
Tyrone, Meath and now monaghan will pull drag, irritate, gesture, trash talk, niggle and solicit retaliation from opponents, with a brand of in your face unsportsmanlike football.

If anything Armagh pioneered this type of stuff and they where the ones who borught it to the level now constantly seen accross the country. All teams have players who indulge in this sort of behaviour.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: loughshore lad on August 22, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 22, 2007, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2007, 03:10:49 PM
Meath, Tyrone and Monaghan dirty ??? Just because Armagh didn't win anything you would have had them in there as well ??
Surely this is being a bit unfair to teams ?
not a bit - Armagh are a tough physical side , like Dublin, but apart from isolated incidents I would not class them as dirty.
Tyrone, Meath and now monaghan will pull drag, irritate, gesture, trash talk, niggle and solicit retaliation from opponents, with a brand of in your face unsportsmanlike football.

If anything Armagh pioneered this type of stuff and they where the ones who borught it to the level now constantly seen accross the country. All teams have players who indulge in this sort of behaviour.
I'd agree that most teams have players like this, but my point is that the meath, monaghan and Tyrone (although possibly not as much this year) seem to indulge in it as a team.

Always thought armagh (apart from a couple of individuals) played more rough football not niggly.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: loughshore lad on August 22, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
If anything Armagh pioneered this type of stuff.

I think you'll find that Cain pioneered this kind of stuff, when he slew his brother, Abel. :d

Star Spangler

Quote from: meathie on August 22, 2007, 12:00:13 PM
saw how O Leary flattened Geraghty  :-\  :-\

Flattened  him?  ffs.  Geraghty is a diving cheat - end of story!

Onlooker

Thanks for that information, Fear on Srath Ban.

Romeo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 22, 2007, 03:38:00 PM

I remember C Whelan getting away with punching a Meath player a few years just as the ball was being thrown in to start the game

Don't remember a ref looking at a video for that one and deciding it was still ok? But why let the truth get in the way of your bitterness?

Agree with Lynchboy, wrong decision, makes it look like it's ok to throw a punch! Also opens up grounds for appeal if the same happens on Sunday and the player gets the line!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Romeo on August 22, 2007, 04:34:44 PM
Agree with Lynchboy, wrong decision, makes it look like it's ok to throw a punch! Also opens up grounds for appeal if the same happens on Sunday and the player gets the line!

Disagree. On what basis?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 22, 2007, 03:38:00 PM

Yeah and Whealo should have got a ban, but just type of shite will keep going on unless the GAA put a stop to it, this is the second time this sc**bag has done it this year. at the rate he's going he'll break someones jaw if things are going wrong in the All ireland final!
Grand Slam Saturday!