O Leary gets the all clear

Started by meathie, August 22, 2007, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

What gives you the right to call Noel O'Leary a sc**bag? I'd reckon he's a grand fella.

If some of the Dubs did that to Geraghty you'd be cheering or in a very silent minority so save us the feigned outrage.

Tankie

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 22, 2007, 04:44:05 PM
What gives you the right to call Noel O'Leary a sc**bag? I'd reckon he's a grand fella.

If some of the Dubs did that to Geraghty you'd be cheering or in a very silent minority so save us the feigned outrage.

first of all only a sc**bag would just punch a man in the face when he isn't expecting it.

And secondly you don't see dublin players do this type of stuff!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Romeo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 22, 2007, 04:40:16 PM
Quote from: Romeo on August 22, 2007, 04:34:44 PM
Agree with Lynchboy, wrong decision, makes it look like it's ok to throw a punch! Also opens up grounds for appeal if the same happens on Sunday and the player gets the line!

Disagree. On what basis?

Same crime, no suspension one week and 3 month suspension the next. Type of inconsistency that opens the door for trouble!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 04:46:26 PM

first of all only a sc**bag would just punch a man in the face when he isn't expecting it.

jeez Tankie, Paul curran on finbarr cullen is a classic example of this
I am sure half of Mayo will respond over something about Ciaran whelan and his martial arts classes  :o

Tankie

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 22, 2007, 04:50:59 PM

I am sure half of Mayo will respond over something about Ciaran whelan and his martial arts classes  :o

but my arguement is that if the GAA put a stop to it with proper suspenions it wont keep happening. but you boys seem to thik its grand to go around punching people?
Grand Slam Saturday!

magpie seanie

The penny is only after dropping. We need to send for Larry Tompkins.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 22, 2007, 04:50:59 PM

but my arguement is that if the GAA put a stop to it with proper suspenions it wont keep happening. but you boys seem to thik its grand to go around punching people?
I was only responding to your painting of dublin players as whiter than white....

I think I have already mentioned I think a suspension was the correct course of action.....

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Not agreeing with what O'Leary did and the rules state if you punch its a red card but the actual blow was hardly "Mike Tyson" stuff and Geraghty as usual made a meal of it. Think the comments referring to Noel O'Leary as a "sc**bag" are a bit OTT and what people don't take into consideration at times are th verbals being exchanged that preceed incidents like this.

Tankie - take a look after the past three years and just see how often Ciaran Whelan has got away with blatant striking and indeed V Meath a couple of years ago kicking of opponents before you start castigating other county players. While you're at it for good measure maybe you might explain how the "showboating" antics of Vaughan, Borgan etc V Laois did anything for the profile of our games.

Can't have it both ways if O'Leary was wrong, which he was so too has Whelan and the aforementioned others in their behaviour

Croí na hÉireann

So by that logic Ciaran Whelan is a sc**bag for elbowing David Mitchell in the face when he wasn't expecting it? Agree or disagree???

O'Leary has been in trouble on the pitch before, of that there is no doubt, and technically should be missing the final. However anyone who wants to call his character into question should take the time to read the article on him from the Tribure last Sunday before they go mouthing off!!!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gnevin

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on August 22, 2007, 05:08:55 PM
Not agreeing with what O'Leary did and the rules state if you punch its a red card but the actual blow was hardly "Mike Tyson" stuff and Geraghty as usual made a meal of it. Think the comments referring to Noel O'Leary as a "sc**bag" are a bit OTT and what people don't take into consideration at times are th verbals being exchanged that preceed incidents like this.

Tankie - take a look after the past three years and just see how often Ciaran Whelan has got away with blatant striking and indeed V Meath a couple of years ago kicking of opponents before you start castigating other county players. While you're at it for good measure maybe you might explain how the "showboating" antics of Vaughan, Borgan etc V Laois did anything for the profile of our games.

Can't have it both ways if O'Leary was wrong, which he was so too has Whelan and the aforementioned others in their behaviour
The show boating did less damage to the game than a mass brawl would of . It was GAA people who hyped this non event as something shocking .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

agorm

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2007, 12:52:24 PM
Fair play to Brian Crowe !!! It would have been awful if O'Leary was suspended for the final. Well done Brian.

fair play??!! what the hell is wrong with you? he punched geraghty straight in the face and gets away with it, you think thats alright?
i think o'leary is a very talented wing back but there is no justification for what he did, had paul galvin did that it would be 3 months suspension no question!
brian crowe is a very good ref but this decision is beyond me

If it had been Graham Geraghty that had been caught on camera there is no doubt that he would have been suspended. Reason being that there would have been an outcry about it. It must have helped O' Leary that there was no witchhunt and that Coyle and Geraghty both said that it was nothing. A few other counties would have made more of a meal of that.

agorm

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on August 22, 2007, 05:08:55 PM
Not agreeing with what O'Leary did and the rules state if you punch its a red card but the actual blow was hardly "Mike Tyson" stuff and Geraghty as usual made a meal of it.

I rarely use this word on this site but this statement is Bullshit!

Tankie

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 22, 2007, 05:13:27 PM

So by that logic Ciaran Whelan is a sc**bag for elbowing David Mitchell in the face when he wasn't expecting it? Agree or disagree???

O'Leary has been in trouble on the pitch before, of that there is no doubt, and technically should be missing the final. However anyone who wants to call his character into question should take the time to read the article on him from the Tribure last Sunday before they go mouthing off!!!

have you got a clip of this elbow as i would need to see if it was intentional or a accident. O'Leary could have broken a fellow players jaw in true sc**bag fashion when the player wasnt expecting it.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Frank Casey

I spoke with a club mate of O'Learys yesterday morning and he, and all Cork, were expecting further action. O'Leary does not help his cause and has gotten himself a reputation at club and county level for being a bit of a boyo. His clashes with Paul Galvin would make Don King a pretty penny at Madison Square Gardens.

Whether the ref was right to give Noel the benefit of the doubt or not is a subjective one but there are a couple of things that we must remember.

1. The offence is to strike or attempt to strike, this is punishable by a straight dismissal. Even if Gerraty felt nothing and made a meal of it the attempt to strike demanded a red card.
2. Do we only follow the letter of those laws that suit us. Either it is the association's rule and we adhere to it IN FULL or we have a version of anarchy where we do as we please.
3. Every anti-GAA gobshite just loves this "GAA makes it up as it suits and goes along" sort of thing.
4. What message to an under 12 young fellow. "Don't mind the rules, clatter away".
KERRY 3:7

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 05:34:15 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 22, 2007, 05:13:27 PM

have you got a clip of this elbow as i would need to see if it was intentional or a accident. O'Leary could have broken a fellow players jaw in true sc**bag fashion when the player wasnt expecting it.

It most certainly was intentional, as I'm sure some of the more reasoned Dubs on here can enlighten you, since it was all them decades ago in 2004... I'll even be so accommodating as to upload it to youtube tomorrow, we can look forward to some more of your educated comments then...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...