O Leary gets the all clear

Started by meathie, August 22, 2007, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathie

Well Brian Crowe has cleared O Leary to play for the All-Ireland. Im glad he wont miss out on the most important football day of his life, but he is bloody lucky and how Crowe will be seen as a credible ref after this is beyond me. He re looked at the incident and saw how O Leary flattened Geraghty and deemed that yes that was ok and a yellow card was acceptable  :-\  :-\

magpie seanie

Technically its the totally wrong decision but for me it is the right call. I would have hated for O'Leary to miss the All Ireland final and I dare say so would GG.

orangeman

Fair play to Brian Crowe !!! It would have been awful if O'Leary was suspended for the final. Well done Brian.

stpauls

we didn't see what went on in the run up to the punch was thrown, and maybe with the video footage available to the ref he saw that his decision was justified. and sure we all know Geraghty is no angel!!  ;)

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2007, 12:52:24 PM
Fair play to Brian Crowe !!! It would have been awful if O'Leary was suspended for the final. Well done Brian.

fair play??!! what the hell is wrong with you? he punched geraghty straight in the face and gets away with it, you think thats alright?
i think o'leary is a very talented wing back but there is no justification for what he did, had paul galvin did that it would be 3 months suspension no question!
brian crowe is a very good ref but this decision is beyond me

lynchbhoy

I am glad that O'Leary is cleared for the final - it is the decision I wanted to hear.....
but this is the wrong decision.

how are we to demonstrate to people that the rules are to be adhered to.
Its not as if there was some ambiguity in the rules or ambiguity in OLearys actions.
he threw a punch.
Whether GG went down too quickly or easily is moot. A closed fist was thrown and the intention was a punch.
It was captured by TV and with the new rules in place, OLeary was in danger of suspension.
As he has obv not learned from his suspension earlier in the championship, we should not allow sentiment to over rule here and let him play for the final.

How is this going to look - players will know they can get away with this kind of thing and carry on fouling.
Refreshing and good as they have been in this years championship, but Monaghan are flouting the rules of the game with their
pulling , dragging and niggly fouling tactics, Meath likewise and Tyrone too.
These teams are not being taken to task and such dirty fouling play is being allowed rather than eradicated.

Great decision for the lad
wrong for football.
imo

Hound

Quote from: stpauls on August 22, 2007, 01:06:42 PM
we didn't see what went on in the run up to the punch was thrown, and maybe with the video footage available to the ref he saw that his decision was justified. and sure we all know Geraghty is no angel!!  ;)
If the video footage showed that Geraghty had raped his sister in the run-up to the punch being thrown, it still wouldnt lessen the fact that it was a red card offence and O'Leary should be suspended because of it.

Have to agree with lynchbhoy's analysis

Billys Boots

What's wrong with you today lynchbhoy, you're the epitomy of common-sense?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 22, 2007, 01:54:29 PM
What's wrong with you today lynchbhoy, you're the epitomy of common-sense?
I know
sorry
on a bit of a health kick/diet again and am having toconcentrate a bit in work
so am not quite myself
idiotic service will be resumed shortly though ! ;)

magpie seanie

Clean living and high thinking - I salute you Lynchboy!

Declan

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 PM
he punched geraghty straight in the face and gets away with it, you think thats alright?

Don't think it is right but it is the exact same senario as what GG done in the Dublin game and there was no further action taken there. Brian Crowe took what he thought to be the correct action on the field. I think that had he changed the decision with reference to video evidence it would have tarnished his reputation as a top referee.

orangeman

Meath, Tyrone and Monaghan dirty ??? Just because Armagh didn't win anything you would have had them in there as well ??
Surely this is being a bit unfair to teams ?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2007, 03:10:49 PM
Meath, Tyrone and Monaghan dirty ??? Just because Armagh didn't win anything you would have had them in there as well ??
Surely this is being a bit unfair to teams ?
not a bit - Armagh are a tough physical side , like Dublin, but apart from isolated incidents I would not class them as dirty.
Tyrone, Meath and now monaghan will pull drag, irritate, gesture, trash talk, niggle and solicit retaliation from opponents, with a brand of in your face unsportsmanlike football.
I dont think Tyrone used to need such gamesmanship due to the talent and tactics they posessed, Meath and Monaghan would not be as talented and have maximised their potential by indulging in such a style and manner of play. There has always been a certain element of this in Meath football (including club football) but Coyler seems to have got them to ramp it up this year. It worked for him.
Refs need to start blowing for this kind of persistent fouling as if they dont, then teams will possibly start to adapt to this 'kn**ker football' to replace the now passe 'puke football'.

Tankie

The chap is a kn**ker and should be banned.
Grand Slam Saturday!