Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Its grand the way it was (see the effect the 'seanie johnson' rule has had in london - another ridiculously stupid ill thought out proposal rushed through).

What would you like it to look like?

eddie d

Quote from: haranguerer on May 05, 2012, 05:00:46 PM
Its grand the way it was (see the effect the 'seanie johnson' rule has had in london - another ridiculously stupid ill thought out proposal rushed through).

fair point, but if you think the rules were grand before then, correct me if im wrong, you would have to agree the transfer couldnt go through because of johnston not living in the county he wants to switch to? maybe he has moved?

haranguerer

Quote from: eddie d on May 05, 2012, 05:41:44 PM

fair point, but if you think the rules were grand before then, correct me if im wrong, you would have to agree the transfer couldnt go through because of johnston not living in the county he wants to switch to? maybe he has moved?

Moved to Straffan Eddie, at the start of all this.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on May 07, 2012, 12:52:27 PM

No he didn't. Thats why 1st Cavan Co Board objected and 2nd Cavan Gaels objected. Tell me, were you in favour of him being allowed play with the Gaels and also with Kildare while living in Cavan town - his original attempt at a transfer, for which he wanted Cavan Gaels to fund his appeal against to the tune of 10k? I could go back to the start of the thread and check but you could save me the hassle.

mylestheslasher

Ah, It was easy to find. Page 2 of this thread on 18/01. Johnson had just had his attempt to transfer to Kildare denied while trying to convince the GAA that he lived in Straffan, worked in Cavan and trained/played with Cavan Gaels. You wrote....

"Let him play wherever to f**k he wants. Why should any manager be able to completely stop his inter -co career - its a joke! Same goes for Kevin Cassidy, his inter co career could conceivably be finished, over some jumped up p***k of a manager trying to form omerta. why should the players be made suffer?"

So when you say  the rules are fine as they are you mean except where Sean Johnson is concerned.

eddie d

Quote from: haranguerer on May 07, 2012, 12:52:27 PM

hardly, i have been following this thread n papers,il re word it, maybe he has moved since page 50 of this thread? :)

lets say he hasn't, for arguments sake, would you agree to transfer or the rules?

Stevie g 8

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 07, 2012, 01:22:21 PM
Ah, It was easy to find. Page 2 of this thread on 18/01. Johnson had just had his attempt to transfer to Kildare denied while trying to convince the GAA that he lived in Straffan, worked in Cavan and trained/played with Cavan Gaels. You wrote....

"Let him play wherever to f**k he wants. Why should any manager be able to completely stop his inter -co career - its a joke! Same goes for Kevin Cassidy, his inter co career could conceivably be finished, over some jumped up p***k of a manager trying to form omerta. why should the players be made suffer?"

So when you say  the rules are fine as they are you mean except where Sean Johnson is concerned.
well said.f**k the begrudgers

haranguerer

The above is a reaction to two top players both being omitted from their counties teams. On reflection, if the gaa do want to place a control on this, playing club football in the county you seek to transfer to is a reasonable control - it demonstrates some permanence and intent.

With regard to the other - he had an address in straffan, he said thats where he was living. None of us can call him a liar without incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

Eddie, in the absence of a better system, I'd go by the rules. He knows what he'd have to do.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on May 08, 2012, 11:23:51 AM

The above is a reaction to two top players both being omitted from their counties teams. On reflection, if the gaa do want to place a control on this, playing club football in the county you seek to transfer to is a reasonable control - it demonstrates some permanence and intent.

With regard to the other - he had an address in straffan, he said thats where he was living. None of us can call him a liar without incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

Eddie, in the absence of a better system, I'd go by the rules. He knows what he'd have to do.

Cavan Co Board and Cavan Gaels expressed doubts over this and so the GAA had to consider this. When they did they rejected the transfer.

Westside

Would the registered letter that was sent to Johnston's Straffin address that bounced back to Croker because there was nobody by the name of Sean Johnston living at the address count as "incontrovertible evidence"....?

haranguerer

It would be evidence anyway. I've been curious about that though - did it actually happen? If a registered letter isnt signed for, it may be returned, or there may be a card left for it to be collected from the po. For it to be returned with 'not known at this address' means someone else must have been living there to inform the deliverer of this. I cant see how it could have been returned with this message any other way. Postmen cant know whos living where nowadays.

In the grand scheme of things its pretty irrelevant anyway. if you've told someone you're living in straffan, and they say you're not, then you either admit to being a liar, or prove yourself to be telling the truth. If this means latterly altering your circumstances to suit your story, i.e. moving into the address you said you were living in, then thats what you'll do, so any challenge is only going to be successful if the transferee is only half hearted about the whole thing anyway.

Westside

Yes there was a couple of guys living in the address who didn't know who Sean Johnston was and informed the postman of that. Thus the letter was returned saying he was not known at the address. You said we couldn't call him a liar without evidence. It appears we have such evidence. Now he obviously changed his circumstances since, realising that he wouldn't be able to fool Croke Park so easily. But at the time the initial contention that he was living in Straffan was a lie, based on the evidence of the registered letter.

haranguerer

So he actually gave someone elses address in straffan, someone he didnt know??! Christ.

Well then, as my second paragraph contends, it doesnt make the blindest bit of difference anyway, he just moves to where he said he lived, and says he hadnt completed the move at the time of the application, but as he knew he was moving, thats the address he put.

heffo

Quote from: haranguerer on May 08, 2012, 08:52:43 PM
It would be evidence anyway. I've been curious about that though - did it actually happen?

It did happen - I posted it here and then it was posted in the papers a few days later. 100% happened.

heffo

Quote from: hardstation on May 09, 2012, 09:29:06 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 09, 2012, 08:54:15 AM
So he actually gave someone elses address in straffan, someone he didnt know??! Christ.

Well then, as my second paragraph contends, it doesnt make the blindest bit of difference anyway, he just moves to where he said he lived, and says he hadnt completed the move at the time of the application, but as he knew he was moving, thats the address he put.
I don't understand. People live in the address which Johnston gave. Does he just turn up and say, "I live here now"?

It's an apartment owned by a Dublin guy who's lived in Kildare for a good while now and is heavily involved in the supporters club.