Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

He seems to get on alright with the Kildare subs.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Westside

Give Andy Graham a few years and he'll be as good as Johnston.

rodney trotter

Michael Lyng turned down an offer to return to the county panel last week. He has wasted his county career in my opinion. Class act on his day but never did it enough for Cavan. He was on of the 6 dropped with Johnston... And johnston wanting to continue his career somewhere else shows he has a bit of ambition. Jesus he could very easily just piss about and score 1-10 for the gaels every match with no county football. He hadn't a hope of playing with Cavan anytime soon so best of luck to him. I'm a fan of Hyland and think he will do well, its a pity about the circumstances over johnstons but such is life.

cogito

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 03, 2012, 06:24:56 PM
Doesn't like hyland, doesn't like Andrews and doesn't like forde. Might be easier and quicker to list who he does like.

I'd be willing to bet he doesnt like you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Onlooker

If Cavan happen to meet Kildare in the qualifiers, who would be marking Seanie?.  Stranger things have happened.

Jinxy

Bernard Morris might be brought back for that one.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 03, 2012, 06:54:24 PM
Michael Lyng turned down an offer to return to the county panel last week. He has wasted his county career in my opinion. Class act on his day but never did it enough for Cavan. He was on of the 6 dropped with Johnston... And johnston wanting to continue his career somewhere else shows he has a bit of ambition. Jesus he could very easily just piss about and score 1-10 for the gaels every match with no county football. He hadn't a hope of playing with Cavan anytime soon so best of luck to him. I'm a fan of Hyland and think he will do well, its a pity about the circumstances over johnstons but such is life.

Has Lyng not been severely injury prone? I always assumed this was why he wasn't making it as much as he would be expected to as he was always a player with great potential.

rodney trotter

Yeah Lyng had a fair amount of injuries when he first broke onto the County panel. He has a very serious injury which led to a operation which almost went wrong and could have killed him. That kept out for over a year, he had a few other minor injuries that kept him out for spells too. The last two years he has been fully fit more or less. He left the county panel twice before under keoghan and under tommy Carr just as he had been showing some form this was leading upto the championship. He is a brillant player when fully fit, i'd rate him as one of the best centre forwards in the country when he is at his best, sadly we never saw that enough when he played with cavan.

eddie d

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 03, 2012, 06:24:56 PM
Doesn't like hyland, doesn't like Andrews and doesn't like forde. Might be easier and quicker to list who he does like.

found it..

1 Seanie Johnston
2 Seanie J
3 SEE 1 AND 2

Dangleberrys

Where is 'sams the aim' all of a sudden? :P

Might as well ask the man himself what the story is.....

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dangleberrys on May 04, 2012, 12:27:24 PM
Where is 'sams the aim' all of a sudden? :P

Might as well ask the man himself what the story is.....

Learning how to spell + I don't the Kildare supporters club got the broadband line installed yet in his new house.

haranguerer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 03, 2012, 10:24:30 AM

OK then. You pretend you are a GAA legislator. Explain to me in what circumstances a player should be allowed to leave a county and play for another unrelated county - by unrelated I mean they have no family ties to such as a parent having been born there. Perhaps you think everyone should be allowed play for whoever they like - is that it?

Eh? ???

Myles, its an emotive issue, and I can respect that you dont want Seanie Johnson to play for Kildare. I also would probably rather he played for Cavan. But given that this option was denied to him, I'd by far rather he played for Kildare, than played for noone, and there have been no arguments put forward which have swayed my view of this. I also resent one player being picked on when loads of players transfer, and little is said - the double standards are breathtaking.

That parentage thing you refer to is a load of bollocks, and everyone knows it. It was hastily borrowed from international soccer presumably, to act as a loophole - the size of Ireland ffs most intercounty players would qualify for other counties, so the doomsday scenarios you and others are coming up with are already pretty much allowed.

Can you really not think of any reason why they havent happened, and are unlikely to happen, as long as the actual only real 'ethos' of the GAA remains in place? Perhaps you'd be better pursuing the travesty of breaches of that, than getting worked up about the transfer of a player you have said good riddance to a long time ago.

mylestheslasher

I'm only asking you to outline, in your opinion, what the rule book should say. In my opinion it should say no transfer to a county unless..

- Your work/family life brings you to this county.
- You have family links to this county

What do you think the rulebook should say. Its easy to knock the rules but lets have your version!

eddie d

Quote from: haranguerer on May 04, 2012, 01:47:12 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 03, 2012, 10:24:30 AM

OK then. You pretend you are a GAA legislator. Explain to me in what circumstances a player should be allowed to leave a county and play for another unrelated county - by unrelated I mean they have no family ties to such as a parent having been born there. Perhaps you think everyone should be allowed play for whoever they like - is that it?

Eh? ???

Myles, its an emotive issue, and I can respect that you dont want Seanie Johnson to play for Kildare. I also would probably rather he played for Cavan. But given that this option was denied to him, I'd by far rather he played for Kildare, than played for noone, and there have been no arguments put forward which have swayed my view of this. I also resent one player being picked on when loads of players transfer, and little is said - the double standards are breathtaking.

That parentage thing you refer to is a load of bollocks, and everyone knows it. It was hastily borrowed from international soccer presumably, to act as a loophole - the size of Ireland ffs most intercounty players would qualify for other counties, so the doomsday scenarios you and others are coming up with are already pretty much allowed.

Can you really not think of any reason why they havent happened, and are unlikely to happen, as long as the actual only real 'ethos' of the GAA remains in place? Perhaps you'd be better pursuing the travesty of breaches of that, than getting worked up about the transfer of a player you have said good riddance to a long time ago.

He wouldnt be playing for no-one, he could of played for his club, like most county players that are dropped

haranguerer

no-one at the highest level then eddie, is that ok??