Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I think it is time for the vociferous critics of antrim hurling, and Sambo and particular, to come out and congratulate the squad and management on yet another victorious assault on Ulster. We're waiting Minder...

Minder

I wonder do the players and in particular the two players that went to the press pleading for the current management team to be installed feel that they have taken them to the "next level" as they spoke about at the time, perhaps when they spoke about the next level they meant Division 2 National League hurling.............As for your post Tony Baloney, i always give credit.......where its due.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

NAG

Credit for taking us backwards tony?

Believe me it is not with any pleasure that I have criticised players or management on here. But when we are fed so much bullshit about the way forward then it comes to this then something has to be said.

I think the good doctor has to take responsibility for the two players, he was using them likes puppets while controlling what they were saying.

On another note good to see another bright appointment by antrim in FQ in the permanent sec, is it just me or is this meri-go-round of jobs starting to get on anyones goat. If your working for ulster council and have the inside track with the committe surely then there should be someone else carrying out the interview process or is it ok for UC to hand pick their coven!

milltown row

now lads dont be getting on Antrim back, i had a go last week but i'm better now.

antrim will raise their game come Galway, the problem is they need ten games a year at that standard to be prepared for that intensity.

we hopefully wil last 50 minutes at being competitive, the 7 man defence worked well in the second half

colonel: your right Woody and Jim Nelson should also be in there but Sambo is quicker to type :P

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on June 16, 2008, 11:20:49 AM
QuoteI agree with ya that hippy is being played out of position and should be brought back down the field or on to the bench, hes still a teenager and can learn plenty yet! Allow sambo would prob have something to say about that

don't know Sambo's style in preparing the team before the game but i believe if your playing in a Provincial Final they need to be pumped up and raring to go. No our Antrim dandered down the steps chatting to each other.

He/they would have to be pretty precious if that was viewed as serious criticism.

NAG

Did i mention Antrim or the doctor on the panel, its more with UC hand picking these individuals for highly paid posts because they ultimately know where their loyalty lies.

Minder

Quote from: NAG on June 16, 2008, 11:27:07 AM
Did i mention Antrim or the doctor on the panel, its more with UC hand picking these individuals for highly paid posts because they ultimately know where their loyalty lies.

Have to agree NAG, it is a case of who you know not what you know, nothing against Frankie as he is a good lad but there is not much transparency about it.

johnneycool

A poor game which didn't seem to get going even given that the scoreline was reasonably close throughout.

From a Down viewpoint, no real outstanding performances from anyone but young Woods did well enough as did conor O'Prey when brought on to follow Paul Shields when he dropped deep early in the second half scoring three points from play. At least Jingo had a plan in place for a very obvious Antrim tactic unlike in recent years.

Murph coughed up his usual goal to Paddy Richmond by playing way out in front of him, if it works for you you're a great fella but if you get caught out then its good night irene. Wee Liams positional sense let him down way too often yesterday again. His cousin Gabriel was his lax self, playing tippy tappy hurling and would of been cleaned out if Mick Herron had his shooting boots on. Big Courtney did well when Antrim were pucking long with the wind in the first half and dominated Winker in the air but struggled more in the second half when the balls were played either side of him into the corners. He wasn't help by Ruairi McGrattan who was a busted flush 10 minutes into the second half, he wasn't fit enough for midfield yesterday, but he was direct enough when on the ball and when his race was run should of been called ashore. McGourty did reasonably well but in the same breath Ciaran Herron was probably the pick of the Antrim defence and got two points from play (I think!), so his man marking was suspect yet again. Dule was lively and only really threatened when moved into fullforward but he tries to do it all himself and was easily closed down at times. Eoin Clarke offered nothing again yesterday and his size will always mitigate against him especially on a team who're struggling to put in quality ball to their forwards. Jnigo should reassess his forwards and get another ball winner in there as they can't afford to be carrying too many light hurlers in the Christy Ring.

Antrim did just enough yesterday but they'll need to address a few issues of their own before Galway and Waterford come to town. Midfield was average enough, young Donnelly done nothing yesteray, Micko needs to work on his accuracy and the fullback line need to get a better understanding under dropping balls. Much work still ahead for Terence and Dominic.

In general the game lacked intensity and a fellow spectator blamed the Ref for not letting it flow and for blowing any form of physical contact, he might have a point as I'm no big fan of Gerry Devlin but if the referee was to let it go a bit Down would be sorely lacking in the physicality stakes with this bunch of players and Antrim would probably have won by more.
For the greater good I'd like to see more let go but as one ref pointed out to me before that the onus is as much on the players to accept greater physical contact without retaliating to prevent the game getting out of control. In Munster championship games more is let go and its just accepted by players and all as part of the game and the game is a better spectacle for it. It's a bit chicken and egg scenario but what do the rest of you think?

Also what was the ballsup with the starting time yesterday, Antrim were ready of a 3.30pm throw in and Down for 3.45pm!!

Two Hands FFS

Well said JC and agree with most of what you said although Brenden McGourty was on Johnny Campbell & not Ciaran Herron(scored 1 point) who was quite poor yesterday. Obviously Magic would be another ball winner for yous & could have caused massive bother for Antrim especially in the first half.

Antrim have been looking forward to the Galway match for the last few months & will be up for it alot more(I Hope) & will need to improve hugely on yesterdays performance.

In todays Irish news the Down minor manager said Down minors were better than Antrim.  :D  Now if it was 2 or 3 points in it but the score was 3-18 to 0-5.

johnneycool

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on June 16, 2008, 11:51:19 AM

In todays Irish news the Down minor manager said Down minors were better than Antrim.  :D  Now if it was 2 or 3 points in it but the score was 3-18 to 0-5.

This was a much vaunted down minor team that took a fair hammering yesterday. I didn't see that game so can't comment too much but from what I've seen from our club minors is that they aren't physically strong and don't have the first clue about how to use their bodies that well. Its something we used to learn the hard way when once you turned 15 you trained with the senior team but now the club has got more sophisticated and they only train in their own age group. whilst their stickwork may be better, the dark arts aren't being passed on.  ;)

milltown row

correct Johnny, my own club has banned the minors from playing the senior grades this year till championship is over. back in the day you were playing senior at 16 and didn't miss a match.

cotton wool the kids are wrapped up in now

imtommygunn

Groundlie maybe they have lost the dressing room and maybe they haven't. Starting to question their academic ability is a bit much and your dig about them as players is also ill formed. Sambo has an all star and did plenty. Woody may - maybe someone can verify this - have an AI club medal. That is all irrelevant to their management anyway.

Sambo does on occasion say stupid stuff yes and perhaps could have a bit of an ego but no matter what he's put a lot into hurling and deserves some credit for it.

There was no way we were ever going to be in a position after this length of time to challenge big guns. Yes people have left the panel but some of those are people who weren't longer term in plans and it happens everywhere - why would you sit about when you know you'll be on the bench.

I firmly believe a) Jingo shouldn't have been ousted when he was and b) these boys took over far far too early for their great plan and should have concentrated on u21s first however they do deserve some support and backing. You sound like a bitter man.

The sad truth is that we are far too good for the teams beneath us - including Down - and far too poor for the teams above us. Sometimes you can understand why players would lose heart.

The main gripe I would have with those two is that they shouldn't be playing Donnelly up forwards - they are potentially ruining a very good player there. However they do deserve support and not petty insults.

imtommygunn

The u21 scene in the football and hurling needs serious looking at.

The same management shouldn't be in charge of both senior and u21 - the football was a disaster this year too. The management shouldn't have been in the position - in either - to have to manage the two teams.

It's frustrating yes but not enough to make you bitter. Ultimately if the young teams were as good as they were built up to be they'd have beat Derry anyway IMO - that's what worries me. Yes they could and should have done better but there's been a lot of hype and I'm not sure the batch of players merit it. Liam Watson / Paddy Richmond aside there's not a county standard forward in the club scene under the age of 35 as far as I can see.  A team won't beat southern teams / maybe even northern ones without these.

The new batch seem to have an abundance of defenders / midfielders. Yes Eddie McCloskey, Donnelly,Paul Shields, McManus,Magill,Graffin etc are useful but where are the out and out forwards?

Franko

Antrim are the England of the hurling scene - have some good players and can talk a great game, have a solid club infrastructure compared to those around them and reminisce with rose tinted glasses about the great victories (y) of yesteryear.

However, they struggle to make any impact when it counts on a consistent basis - though will spring an odd good result and catch one of the top teams on the hop.

I feel that Antrim fans have expectations that are far too high - talking about going to play in Leinster because competition is not enough in Ulster.  Get a grip.  I thought that maybe the Derry game was a one off but then to give a repeat performance against a similarly average Down team - get with reality lads - Antrim Hurling is not at the standard you believe it to be....!