All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2016, 05:00:50 PM
R Hennelly, T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, A O'Shea, S O'Shea, K McLoughlin, K Higgins, A Dillion, C O'Connor, A Freeman, A Moran.

The lads in bold will more than likely not start the next day. Well Cunniffe and Cafferkey are certs not to!

Clarke, Harrison, Parsons, Diarmuid O'Connor, Doherty are likely starters.

So our starting Full back line from 2013 has vanished along with the Keeper!

Expected more changes than that in 3 years. If Barrett doesnt start then both will make 3 changes to their defences. Goalkeeper wise have Mayo a better option there now and is Cluxton best days behind him? In 3 years some players can be past their peak others reaching it. This final should tell all.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

maigheo

Quote from: moysider on September 07, 2016, 11:19:13 PM
R Hennelly, T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, A O'Shea, S O'Shea, K McLoughlin, K Higgins, A Dillion, C O'Connor, A Freeman, A Moran.

The lads in bold will more than likely not start the next day. Well Cunniffe and Cafferkey are certs not to!

I'm half expecting Chris to start this.
Half expecting the same thing with Higgins moving into the forwards with maybe jason Doc dropping to the bench.It goes with out saying that Caff is a huge loss and when his season was ended early on in the year I was sure Mayos hopes for Sam were to,

rosnarun

Quote from: maigheo on September 08, 2016, 02:41:20 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 07, 2016, 11:19:13 PM
R Hennelly, T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, A O’Shea, S O’Shea, K McLoughlin, K Higgins, A Dillion, C O’Connor, A Freeman, A Moran.

I'm half expecting Chris to start this.
Half expecting the same thing with Higgins moving into the forwards with maybe jason Doc dropping to the bench.It goes with out saying that Caff is a huge loss and when his season was ended early on in the year I was sure Mayos hopes for Sam were to,
looks bad but I would expect both Higgins and chris barrett, maybe even at full back to cover Brogan,  to start and both were on that team , hennelly  have been swapping jersey for a while now.
I really think this is the strongest mayo team to have gone up for a final and definitely the one with the clears Game plan .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 07, 2016, 10:40:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2016, 10:16:13 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 07, 2016, 08:41:05 PM
On the face of it we have fifteen men playing fifteen men so why shouldn't either team win. Then you look at Dublin's phenomonel unbeaten run of twenty seven games against all-comers and you have to admit that they have to be a special team to achieve this. However in Mayo's favour it has to be conceded that each new victory in that unbeaten run brings the Dubs one game closer to the inevitable defeat.
A good chunk of those  27 teams were in Leinster so they wouldn't count. Flourbags and Taytobags are very poor by historic standards

So let's just discount beating the likes of Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Donegal, Roscommon and Monaghan. And let's forget that Dublin have won the last four National League titles.

Where were all these knockout games played? How come ye have to have all your games at home?

blast05

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 08, 2016, 02:21:48 PM
On the face of it we have fifteen men playing fifteen men so why shouldn't either team win. Then you look at Dublin's phenomonel unbeaten run of twenty seven games against all-comers and you have to admit that they have to be a special team to achieve this. However in Mayo's favour it has to be conceded that each new victory in that unbeaten run brings the Dubs one game closer to the inevitable defeat.
A good chunk of those  27 teams were in Leinster so they wouldn't count. Flourbags and Taytobags are very poor by historic standards

So let's just discount beating the likes of Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Donegal, Roscommon and Monaghan. And let's forget that Dublin have won the last four National League titles.

Where were all these knockout games played? How come ye have to have all your games at home?

With your home dressing room...........  :-X

The Hill is Blue

So it's hardly worth Mayo's time travelling.... So much for always looking on the bright side of life. :D
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

muppet

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 08, 2016, 04:18:09 PM

So it's hardly worth Mayo's time travelling.... So much for always looking on the bright side of life. :D

Yerra, we'll go up to cheer on the Galway minors and pay homage to the best team in history.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

You are not one for answering questions Hill is Blue. Are you? Keep those eyes and ears closed!

moysider

If you are in a position of privilege and advantage unlikely that you would want to admit it or engage in debate about it. You make the most of it.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 08, 2016, 06:29:10 PM

You are not one for answering questions Hill is Blue. Are you? Keep those eyes and ears closed!

Why not get off the hobby horse for a while and revel in the fact that your county is about to play in an All Ireland final in one of the best stadiums in Europe. There are thirty one counties who would gladly swap places with Mayo and play on the hallowed ground.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Crete Boom

It's always worth travelling for the pints of porter after the game with Dubs win lose or draw ( normally lose!!) and I for one will be raising a pint glass in recognition of a great achievement of back to back titles for a great Dublin team. ;)

As long as none of the pubs have the Sunday game on with all the Mayo god Help us stuff being spouted I will be happy enough with my pint of plain!!! ;D
Sure we tried our best not to get into the final this year so we wouldn't ruin it for everyone else!! ;D

It will be a pity though when the likes of O'Rourke , Spillane and Brolly won't give the Dubs the credit for back to back All Irelands because the only beat Mayo but the the last two back to back titles came for Cork who beat us in 89 first and Kerry who beat us in 06 first so at least you got the hard title out of the way last year which should give you some street cred over the Kingdom and the Rebels!! 8)

Right I am off to watch ESPN 30 for 30 the Four Falls of Buffalo to get myself ready for the inevitable on the 18th!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 09, 2016, 11:47:06 AM

It's always worth travelling for the pints of porter after the game with Dubs win lose or draw ( normally lose!!) and I for one will be raising a pint glass in recognition of a great achievement of back to back titles for a great Dublin team. ;)

As long as none of the pubs have the Sunday game on with all the Mayo god Help us stuff being spouted I will be happy enough with my pint of plain!!! ;D
Sure we tried our best not to get into the final this year so we wouldn't ruin it for everyone else!! ;D

It will be a pity though when the likes of O'Rourke , Spillane and Brolly won't give the Dubs the credit for back to back All Irelands because the only beat Mayo but the the last two back to back titles came for Cork who beat us in 89 first and Kerry who beat us in 06 first so at least you got the hard title out of the way last year which should give you some street cred over the Kingdom and the Rebels!! 8)

Right I am off to watch ESPN 30 for 30 the Four Falls of Buffalo to get myself ready for the inevitable on the 18th!

Leaving aside all the bluff and bluster on both sides this is a 50/50 game with Mayo definitely having every chance of winning. We only have to remember the drawn semi-final last year to see that there is nothing between the teams. As a Dubs supporter I wouldn't be at all confident.

Canalman

Waiting now for the "trouble in the Mayo camp", "injured in training", "doubtful for the final" stories to surface shortly. Serious efforts to downplay their chances.

I for one haven't forgotten how good Mayo were last year and the year before (not to mention 2012 and 2013)  when they had claims to be the best team in Ireland.

Am very fearful of Mayo tbh. Despite all their poor mouthing they are exactly where they expected to be at the beginning of the season. They destroyed us in 2006 and 2012 .

Jinxy

I wouldn't consider being beaten by a point and 3 points, respectively, as being 'destroyed' in 2006 and 2012.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 09, 2016, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 09, 2016, 11:47:06 AM

Leaving aside all the bluff and bluster on both sides this is a 50/50 game with Mayo definitely having every chance of winning. We only have to remember the drawn semi-final last year to see that there is nothing between the teams. As a Dubs supporter I wouldn't be at all confident.

Being serious Hill is Blue , most Mayo fans would see it as 60/40 or 70/30 for the Dubs  mainly due to you having the edge over us in terms of firepower(starting and coming off the bench) and the patchy form which has persisted in every game bar the Tyrone game.

Up front while Andy is having an indian summer and Aidan is improving steadily in every game the rest of our forwards are struggling for consistent form including Cillian , DO'C , Jason Doc and Evan Regan. Much like they team the have flashed top form in games but don't seem to be able to sustain it.

Yeah the Dubs have lost O'Carroll and McCaffrey but Mayo have no recognised fullback with Caff being out for the year and Kevin Keane operating at best around 50% because of his shoulder problem!

The lack of Hype in Mayo , while we would all like to think we are the second coming of cute Kerry hoors , it is more down to weariness amongst the fans of coming up short to the best in a final/semi final and the realisation that this Dublin team are superb unit in terms of talent and team , maybe the best of the modern era , so there are not many weaknesses to exploit.

Do I think we can win on the 18th? Yes absolutely we are very close and have been for the last 4 years but if you asked me what I honestly expect to happen I would say it is the Dubs by 4 or 5 points in the end because when you stack the team personnel , form , squad depth up against each other then that is the logical outcome with both teams performing near to 100%.

If Mayo do finally do it this year it will have nothing to do with , a lack of hype , coming in under the radar , complacent Dubs , hunger ,luck or the ref etc.. it will be because we outworked , out thought and out performed the Dubs on the day. How does this happen? Well I think we will have to be operating close to 100% and the Dubs need to be 5 or 10% below the norm and we have to set up in away so we can move the Dubs out of their patterns at the start and again on the last 10 mins of the game.Conceding no goals is necessary because I don't think we have any hope in a shoot out and we will have to hold the Dubs to 13 or 14 points to have any chance.