All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 09, 2016, 11:26:42 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 09, 2016, 09:31:14 PM
The Dublin team of the early 90s was a little like the current Mayo team. They contested three finals in four years and finally fell over the line at their last attempt. Of course Mayo could do it on Sunday week - and with more style than Dublin did in 1995.

If they get a referee equally blind to and ignorant of the rules perhaps, ie, if a player is sent off he actually has to leave the field of play (no offence Charlie, you beaut ya), and when a bouncing ball is flicked up it actually isn't a foul off the frigging ground!*

* But we're not bitter. ;)

Just mildly annoyed since the 03/05/08!  :)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 09, 2016, 11:32:32 PM
Just mildly annoyed since the 03/05/08!  :)

Huh? '08 was a GREAT year for us!* ;)

* FECKING annoyed since 17/9/95! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 09, 2016, 11:26:42 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 09, 2016, 09:31:14 PM
The Dublin team of the early 90s was a little like the current Mayo team. They contested three finals in four years and finally fell over the line at their last attempt. Of course Mayo could do it on Sunday week - and with more style than Dublin did in 1995.

If they get a referee equally blind to and ignorant of the rules perhaps, ie, if a player is sent off he actually has to leave the field of play (no offence Charlie, you beaut ya), and when a bouncing ball is flicked up it actually isn't a foul off the frigging ground!*

* But we're not bitter. ;)

It could have all been so different. Art would have got a well deserved AI win and Tyrone wouldn't have had to resort to puke football to eventually win it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2016, 11:57:09 PM
It could have all been so different. Art would have got a well deserved AI win and Tyrone wouldn't have had to resort to puke football to eventually win it.

Borrow that leaf from our book for Sunday week, would yez bleedin' ever! :)

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 10, 2016, 12:02:27 AM

I'd happily settle for a puke covered blanket, as long as we win.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 10, 2016, 12:02:27 AM

Should have done it a long time ago!

Whatever happens on Sunday week, 96, 97 and semi in 99 will always haunt me most.

Mayoffs

'96 drawn game is the one that haunts me. At the back of the canal end with 7 mins to go I foolishly thought we had the game won. I said to the lads we should move to the front so we can get over the fence at the final whistle, one of them said hold tight, this isn't over yet. Still thought we had it in the bag at the end, couldn't believe it when that ball bounced in front of madden over the bar. It felt like a lost game, worse than any before or since for me anyway.
We were given some abuse by a section of the meath supporters at the end as we left the terrace, they had run the length of the pitch from the hill and up to the back of the terrace where they roared some crap about stealing land from them and starting spitting down on the crowd below.
Hopefully the naivety of those Mayo teams will be banished Sunday week by a good honest, clever performance for the full 70+ mins, even if we lose.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 10, 2016, 12:59:31 AM
'96 drawn game is the one that haunts me. At the back of the canal end with 7 mins to go I foolishly thought we had the game won. I said to the lads we should move to the front so we can get over the fence at the final whistle, one of them said hold tight, this isn't over yet. Still thought we had it in the bag at the end, couldn't believe it when that ball bounced in front of madden over the bar. It felt like a lost game, worse than any before or since for me anyway.
We were given some abuse by a section of the meath supporters at the end as we left the terrace, they had run the length of the pitch from the hill and up to the back of the terrace where they roared some crap about stealing land from them and starting spitting down on the crowd below.
Hopefully the naivety of those Mayo teams will be banished Sunday week by a good honest, clever performance for the full 70+ mins, even if we lose.

Sickening arrogance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

The thing I remember about 96 is the gimp of Maughan. The shorts and the tan. And they got so close.
John the Baptist for Galway 2 years later.

Mayoffs

Quote from: Jinxy on September 10, 2016, 10:57:31 AM
Quote from: Mayoffs on September 10, 2016, 12:59:31 AM

Sickening arrogance.

Arrogance of youth.

Mayoffs

Word through the grapevine tonight is that Keith Higgins has suffered a nasty fall, not in training either. A fcking poxy accident at home, of all the bad luck. Damaged ribs I've been told from a reliable source.
This is a frigging nightmare, we need him badly if we're to have any chance. Going for a pint now.

yellowcard

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 10, 2016, 10:18:40 PM
Word through the grapevine tonight is that Keith Higgins has suffered a nasty fall, not in training either. A fcking poxy accident at home, of all the bad luck. Damaged ribs I've been told from a reliable source.
This is a frigging nightmare, we need him badly if we're to have any chance. Going for a pint now.

Higgins will be a massive loss but in all honesty they would probably need Willie Joe Padden, Liam McHale and Kieran McDonald all playing in their prime to have any chance anyway. Will be a massive loss for the player himself though as it could well have been his last chance at playing in an AI final.

Fear ón Srath Bán

That, if true, is a massive blow. But, on the bright side, just fecking go for it, regardless of whatever hardships have befallen, just fecking go for it, you're not EVEN Connacht Champions! Simples! ;)

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 10, 2016, 10:50:20 PM

That, if true, is a massive blow. But, on the bright side, just fecking go for it, regardless of whatever hardships have befallen, just fecking go for it, you're not EVEN Connacht Champions! Simples! ;)
Would you prefer an ulster medal or a place in the all Ireland? It's a big decision in a town called malice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpRm-p7qlY

Those rosy days are few these days for Throne