All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 07, 2016, 03:02:43 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 07, 2016, 12:39:32 AM
I think it's the best chance Mayo have. Previously Mayo were too inexperienced against Donegal and caught Dublin at full pelt at the peak of their powers.

Dublin have been on the road a while now and Mayo will have their homework done. Mayo have played differently at different times of the year which will make them slightly unpredictable for Gavin, while Dublin have the same system which I would expect lads like Rochford and McEntee will find holes in. They're shrewd operator's and will come with a good game plan.

It will be tight but as with Dublins victories all year how do you cope with the talent that appears for the last 10\15 minutes off the bench... Can Mayo counter it? Do they have the strength in depth to knock back the Dublin cavalry when they arrive?

I think the country hopes so but I really think it can happen!

Aren't Mayo around as long as Dublin though??? In terms of how Mayo will play the only system that Dublin wouldn't have met so far is if a team goes man to man all over the park which I don't believe Mayo will do

They are but the majority of this Dublin team have 3 All Ireland medals already. It's very difficult to keep going to the well as we saw at the weekend! We keep hearing how desperately this Mayo team want Sam Maguire you'd have to think they'd be hungrier than Dublin and we've seen raw hunger trump better footballing teams before!

Don't get me wrong Dublin are still massive favourites but Mayo have a few things in their favour if they can capitalise on them!

rosnarun

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 07, 2016, 10:44:40 AM
What do people think of the Darragh O'Se article this week as below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-mayo-know-emotion-won-t-bring-home-sam-1.2781927

I get the point he's making but I disagree with a lot he's saying. I think that's all fair and dandy when you are used to winning All Ireland finals and have great players but Mayo really need to up their performance is they have any chance of beating Dublin, just like Kerry upped the ante in the semi final. You do need huge hunger and push like mad to win the 50/50 balls. If you can be first to the ball and be ravenous for possession then you have a much better chance of winning in my opinion.
His point that Dublin calmly played their own patient game in that final 5 minutes of injury time and didn't panic or push too hard to do anything differently. That's a lot easier to do when you are reigning champions and have great players all around the pitch who have already been there and done that.
excellent stuff . Daragh always seems to be able to see the stuff that matters over the bluff and bullshit and blarney.
he seems to have the making of a top class manager. I know he was with the u21's a while.
  is he doing anything now?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on September 07, 2016, 03:21:57 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on September 07, 2016, 10:44:40 AM
What do people think of the Darragh O'Se article this week as below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-mayo-know-emotion-won-t-bring-home-sam-1.2781927

I get the point he's making but I disagree with a lot he's saying. I think that's all fair and dandy when you are used to winning All Ireland finals and have great players but Mayo really need to up their performance is they have any chance of beating Dublin, just like Kerry upped the ante in the semi final. You do need huge hunger and push like mad to win the 50/50 balls. If you can be first to the ball and be ravenous for possession then you have a much better chance of winning in my opinion.
His point that Dublin calmly played their own patient game in that final 5 minutes of injury time and didn't panic or push too hard to do anything differently. That's a lot easier to do when you are reigning champions and have great players all around the pitch who have already been there and done that.
excellent stuff . Daragh always seems to be able to see the stuff that matters over the bluff and bullshit and blarney.
he seems to have the making of a top class manager. I know he was with the u21's a while.
  is he doing anything now?

Doing weekly chats with Keith Duggan apparently
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

R Hennelly, T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, A O'Shea, S O'Shea, K McLoughlin, K Higgins, A Dillion, C O'Connor, A Freeman, A Moran.

The lads in bold will more than likely not start the next day. Well Cunniffe and Cafferkey are certs not to!

Clarke, Harrison, Parsons, Diarmuid O'Connor, Doherty are likely starters.

So our starting Full back line from 2013 has vanished along with the Keeper!

AZOffaly

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2016, 05:00:50 PM
R Hennelly, T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, A O'Shea, S O'Shea, K McLoughlin, K Higgins, A Dillion, C O'Connor, A Freeman, A Moran.

The lads in bold will more than likely not start the next day. Well Cunniffe and Cafferkey are certs not to!

Wouldn't be the first time a Mayo full back line disappeared.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The Hill is Blue

On the face of it we have fifteen men playing fifteen men so why shouldn't either team win. Then you look at Dublin's phenomonel unbeaten run of twenty seven games against all-comers and you have to admit that they have to be a special team to achieve this. However in Mayo's favour it has to be conceded that each new victory in that unbeaten run brings the Dubs one game closer to the inevitable defeat.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 07, 2016, 08:41:05 PM
On the face of it we have fifteen men playing fifteen men so why shouldn't either team win. Then you look at Dublin's phenomonel unbeaten run of twenty seven games against all-comers and you have to admit that they have to be a special team to achieve this. However in Mayo's favour it has to be conceded that each new victory in that unbeaten run brings the Dubs one game closer to the inevitable defeat.

It will be hard to beat the Dubs at home. Beating any team at home in a knockout competition is hard! How many of those 27 games were knockout in nature and against a team playing at home?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2016, 09:06:00 PM

It will be hard to beat the Dubs at home. Beating any team at home in a knockout competition is hard! How many of those 27 games were knockout in nature and against a team playing at home?

Getting your excuses in early?  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 07, 2016, 09:43:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2016, 09:06:00 PM

Getting your excuses in early?  ;)

Getting my facts in. But hey, close your eyes and don't think about such a question. You'll enjoy the result more!

seafoid

A good chunk of those  27 teams were in Leinster so they wouldn't count. Flourbags and Taytobags are very poor by historic standards

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2016, 10:16:13 PM
A good chunk of those  27 teams were in Leinster so they wouldn't count. Flourbags and Taytobags are very poor by historic standards

So let's just discount beating the likes of Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Donegal, Roscommon and Monaghan. And let's forget that Dublin have won the last four National League titles.

yellowcard

Daragh O'Se's articles are top class, devoid of all bulls**t.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 07, 2016, 05:00:50 PM

I'm half expecting Chris to start this.

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2016, 10:16:13 PM

Says the man whose county were knocked out of the championship by a division 3 team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

I'm afraid the Dubs on here are going to have to debate this one on their own. Do the Devil's Advocate stuff with themselves as it were. The most optimistic among us are no more than hopeful that something very unlikely might possibly happen. It's a forlorn hope though.
Mayo have failed to beat teams a lot less formidable than this Dublin team in AI finals. Let's call a spade a spade. Some Dublin posters need to stop pretending that this might be anything other than a formality.