Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 31, 2015, 06:55:55 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 30, 2015, 09:17:26 PM
Anyone seen the Hateful 8 yet??

I was very disappointed with it!!

Why would you be disapointed his other recent efforts have been muck, Django was awfull and inglorious basterds had an amazing opening scene followed by 2 and half hours of utter nonsense but still every reviewer gives his films 9/10 just because its Tarantino.

i didn't think it was out for a week or so yet? any adverts i have seen said 8th Jan, bit meh about it now looking at your feedback lads, i was looking forward to it though. Disagree about Django, i really enjoyed it but yeah inglorious bastards was pretty poor by QT standards.

The Iceman

Bone Tomahawk 6.5/10 slow enough but had an eerie feel to it throughout which I enjoyed - some graphic scenes and very watchable
transporter refueled 6/10 - does was it says on the tin
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Quote from: charlieTully on December 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
watched a movie winter's bone last night, very good show, very dark. well worth a watch, its on Netflix.

Just after wiki'ing it there and realised that it is a film I saw one copy of on the bottom row of xtra-vision a few years ago that seemed good from the synopsis.  I meant to get it the next time I was there but could never find the copy or remember the name.  It must have been pre-hunger games times as I didn't know who the main actress was then.

Sicario - expected more, 6/10.
Creed - very good, 8/10.
Martian - very good, 8/10.
Everest - 8/10.
The Walk - turned it off after half an hour.
Exodus gods and Kings - 7/10.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Why would you be disapointed his other recent efforts have been muck, Django was awfull and inglorious basterds had an amazing opening scene followed by 2 and half hours of utter nonsense but still every reviewer gives his films 9/10 just because its Tarantino.

I thought it was brilliant! Inglorious not far behind

Bridge of Spies - Tom Hanks. Absolutely loved it. Great show with maybe the best actor about in Hanks. 9/10

laoislad

Watched Sicario last night. Loved it 9/10
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Up The Middle

Quote from: laoislad on January 04, 2016, 12:01:36 PM
Watched Sicario last night. Loved it 9/10

Watched it over the holidays. Great show.  Watched Steve Jobs thought it was very good as well.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Keyboard Warrior

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 31, 2015, 11:56:44 AM
Sicario was very good I thought, nicely done and well acted, you felt you were in the dark as much as Kate.

A nice afternoon filler on Netflix is X+Y, a little nugget of a movie.

Thanks for that recommendation, Dinny. I watched it and thought it was excellent. So much more satisfying to find a film like this than sitting through the latest formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on January 04, 2016, 02:48:01 PM
Sicario was very good I thought, nicely done and well acted, you felt you were in the dark as much as Kate.

Thanks for that recommendation, Dinny. I watched it and thought it was excellent. So much more satisfying to find a film like this than sitting through the latest formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

I also watched X+Y over the break and enjoyed it immensely.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

No worries it's what the thread is for  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 04, 2016, 06:55:20 PM

Really enjoyed Sicario alright.

A good indie horror movie is 'It follows' - it's on Netflix but you might have to use a VPN or unblockus to access it.

stew

Django was a tremendously entertaining movie, basterds was gritty and at times sublime, especially the first forty five minutes.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2016, 07:48:04 PM

A good indie horror movie is 'It follows' - it's on Netflix but you might have to use a VPN or unblockus to access it.

Yea I liked that show- a little bit more tongue in cheek horror is "You're Next" - the opening credits/scene is nicely done.
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 04, 2016, 09:32:53 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2016, 07:48:04 PM

Yea I liked that show- a little bit more tongue in cheek horror is "You're Next" - the opening credits/scene is nicely done.

Missus seen it & enjoyed it - will check it out soon cheers