Author Topic: Career Change  (Read 1743 times)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
Re: Career Change
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »
So what's considered to be good money for a man in his 50s?

It really depends on your career surely?

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »

Not having daughters would be a start!
How are you getting on with the pup by the way
Careful now

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »

9 months now and itís like she has always been there.. the kids do the odd thing but we generally do all the walking lifting and feeding! Very good with people and other dogs..

The wife has started taking her to a behaviour training class, just for info and tips as Iíve no issues at all but just to see.. holidays have been curtailed as Iím just interested in finding spots that are dog friendly!

As an add on to this thread, there are a serious amount of dog jobs, walkers, kennels, pampering, play parks. They are well paid and one girl I know who does this earns real good coin
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »

9 months now and itís like she has always been there.. the kids do the odd thing but we generally do all the walking lifting and feeding! Very good with people and other dogs..

The wife has started taking her to a behaviour training class, just for info and tips as Iíve no issues at all but just to see.. holidays have been curtailed as Iím just interested in finding spots that are dog friendly!

As an add on to this thread, there are a serious amount of dog jobs, walkers, kennels, pampering, play parks. They are well paid and one girl I know who does this earns real good coin

Woman lives opposite me is a dog groomer and never stops from 8am to 5pm, £25 a go
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »

Woman lives opposite me is a dog groomer and never stops from 8am to 5pm, £25 a go
Huge money to be made from pets, some people are crazy what they are willing to spend on animals.
My wife is a Vet but before we had kids she had a little side business doing dog obedience classes at the weekend. She was flat out every Saturday doing  it. I was always amazed how much people were willing to spend on their dogs.
She eventually gave it up when she got pregnant but it was good while it lasted.

Puckoon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »

Huge money to be made from pets, some people are crazy what they are willing to spend on animals.
My wife is a Vet but before we had kids she had a little side business doing dog obedience classes at the weekend. She was flat out every Saturday doing  it. I was always amazed how much people were willing to spend on their dogs.
She eventually gave it up when she got pregnant but it was good while it lasted.

The Obedience? Or the side business?

Puckoon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 09:29:56 PM »
I know a lot of lads around 40 questioning life, career choice, looking forward to retirement and the time they have left.
A job is a job. If it isn't something vocational that doesn't translate well in to another role I would sit tight and just view it as a way to make money to pay for life.
Then try to embrace the actual living part a little more......take up a new hobby or go on a trip or take on a project around the house and complete it.... happiness in work or relationships or life isn't chasing the next thing...I've found it's a decision mostly.

Crazy how accurate the first sentence is. Pushing 40 in 2 years myself and 2016 I left a very busy, albeit not greatly paid job to take on a less busy job, being paid twice as much with incentive to make up to 3 times my previous salary. I thought the money would bring great happiness - and while it's very nice to be in this position from a financial perspective - there are days I go up the walls with madness. I was used to turning the computer on at 6am on a Monday and having enough work in the mailbox by lunch time to keep me going until the weekend. It was overwhelming but I really enjoyed it. It was like crossfit employment.

I still work very hard, but have a much more enjoyable work life balance now. I can take the kid to school, pick her up, go to the gym during the day etc - but I am gone overnight anywhere from 10-18 nights out of 24 average in a month. That being said, I felt much more successful in my older job. Some people have an unhealthy sense of self worth tied into what they do, and I was clearly in that boat and it took some readjustment of expectations on my part.

I'd love to have a marketable skill that translated into my own business. I do regret never learning things like that as a younger man.