Author Topic: The Fine Gael thread  (Read 152159 times)

marty34

• View Profile
Re: The Fine Gael thread
« Reply #2235 on: March 24, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
The main event of the night was wee Jeffrey! 

1). The clapping re: joining the Commonwealth tells us everything about FG - little Englanders.

2). After all the abuse the DUP have given Leo etc. about Brexit, they invite him to headline their event.  Laughable if it wasn't so serious.

3). He's a member of the DUP - the anti LGBT, anti Irish language and anti Catholic party.  Heck, some of them see no issues with bonfires with the Irish national flag on the top etc. etc.

A major own goal by FG and Leo.

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: March 24, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
If/when a border poll becomes a reality, it will be of benefit to have some sort of non-toxic relationship with the largest unionist party.
SF may consider themselves the gate keepers of irish unity, others might see them as an inpediment to it when it comes within grasp.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 24, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
Surely understanding the views of a broad range of people on this Island is key to delivering a UI. Some people think ramming a UI down Unionists throats is going to work. FFS ramming Britain down Nationalists throats hasn't worked in 100 years the reverse is hardly going to.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 24, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »
This has got absolutely nothing to do with ramming a UI down people's throat so to conflate it otherwise is nonsense. It is entirely possible to be respectful of other peoples beliefs and traditions but Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth is a ludicrous suggestion and I suspect that Jeffrey Donaldson knows this too well. I doubt that he would have expected it to receive any approval whatsoever so he may have been mildly surprised.

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 24, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
Would there be a referendum required if a government went ahead with Jeffín's proposal? If so, I couldn't see it passing.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 24, 2019, 01:35:08 PM »
This has got absolutely nothing to do with ramming a UI down people's throat so to conflate it otherwise is nonsense. It is entirely possible to be respectful of other peoples beliefs and traditions but Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth is a ludicrous suggestion and I suspect that Jeffrey Donaldson knows this too well. I doubt that he would have expected it to receive any approval whatsoever so he may have been mildly surprised.

I was referring to those who were critical of Donaldson's invite.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 25, 2019, 12:32:58 AM »
A report I read from the conference infers that one of the biggest cheers of the night was after Donaldson attacked Sinn Fein for their stance at present regarding Stormont's impasse.
It's worth telling some in Fine Gael to remember (as well as a lot of people in general) that the enemy of your enemy in not necessarily your friend.
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 25, 2019, 12:48:03 AM »
Would there be a referendum required if a government went ahead with Jeffín's proposal? If so, I couldn't see it passing.

Joining the Commonwealth might play a role in United Ireland negotiations. No need for action before then.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 25, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »

Joining the Commonwealth might play a role in United Ireland negotiations. No need for action before then.

- New Flag
- New Anthem
- Join the Commonwealth
- Guaranteed ministerial/junior ministerial positions in cabinet (with lovely pension entitlements) for X number of unionist politicians for Y number of years

Would be a small price for a United Ireland.

The latter three wouldn't really bother me, but I wouldn't like losing the flag, especially given what it's supposed to stand for. But the provos fecked that one up by hijacking it as a terrorist symbol, so it has to go.