Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 18, 2021, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 18, 2021, 02:50:25 PM
Bruno Fernandes has made an excellent contribution. Though i saw his stats yesterday against the top 6 teams and they aren't good. He needs to do more against the better teams. He was low key against City in the Cup Semi final
He was exactly what United needed against lesser teams. Before his arrival teams could sit back and Utd hadn't got the creativity to break them down.
In the bigger games where possession is harder to come by he may need to temper his 'high risk-high reward' instincts and play in a more controlled manner.

Funny I was thinking that yesterday with both him and Pogba. Obviously Fernandes's stats and performances since he arrived speak for themselves but there were a few balls both tried yesterday that were 1 in 20 "Hollywood" balls. Reminded me of Gerrard in his younger days when he was trying to do everything. I have not watched enough of United this year to know if it was a deliberate tactic yesterday to try and get in behind Liverpool's high line or if that is the norm. As you say, against the weaker teams United will probably turn the ball over again quite quickly but against better teams it can be a problem if you ae constantly giving away possession.

nrico2006

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 18, 2021, 03:56:53 PM
Bruno Fernandes has made an excellent contribution. Though i saw his stats yesterday against the top 6 teams and they aren't good. He needs to do more against the better teams. He was low key against City in the Cup Semi final
He was exactly what United needed against lesser teams. Before his arrival teams could sit back and Utd hadn't got the creativity to break them down.
In the bigger games where possession is harder to come by he may need to temper his 'high risk-high reward' instincts and play in a more controlled manner.

Exactly.  Uniteds problem at frequent times over the past few years has been their inability to win against the weaker sides.  There have been frequent good results against the big teams but the constant losses and draws to the weaker sides were the main issue.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cunny Funt

Are those the same stats where two of this seasons top 6 Leicester and Everton was conveniently left out? 

NAG1

What way are we reading the next two games then?

Any chance of some rotation against Fulham or will he leave that to the cup game?

Id like to see him start to use DVB more, the form that Rashford & Martial have been in for past few weeks him coming in fresh is bound to add something to the team.

Boycey

There'll be some rotation for both I'd say but of the two matches obviously Fulham is the higher priority so a stronger team in it more likely. It's worth remembering there are league matches next midweek too ...

Fulham aren't to be underestimated either they have held both Spurs and Liverpool lately and it took a late goal from Chelsea to beat them at the weekend despite Fulham playing more than half the game with 10 men..

Maroon Manc

Would imagine Matic, Cavani, Bailly & Telles will start on Wednesday. Ole mustn't think too much of VDB, you'd think a player of his calibre would be a definite starter against a team in the bottom 3 but I'm not expecting him to start.

Getting back to Fernandes its clear United have an issue against the so called top 6, 1 goal from a pen against them this season shows there's a a team issue. I watched Neville talk last night about how Liverpool & City are constantly inching up the pitch when their opponents have the ball which is something United don't do, United just don't have enough possession in good areas to break these teams down.

I'm dubious whether United will have time to work on it training given the hectic schedule so think its likely we'll see a few more 0-0 in big games before the end of the season.

GJL

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2021, 02:40:18 PM
Would imagine Matic, Cavani, Bailly & Telles will start on Wednesday. Ole mustn't think too much of VDB, you'd think a player of his calibre would be a definite starter against a team in the bottom 3 but I'm not expecting him to start.

Getting back to Fernandes its clear United have an issue against the so called top 6, 1 goal from a pen against them this season shows there's a a team issue. I watched Neville talk last night about how Liverpool & City are constantly inching up the pitch when their opponents have the ball which is something United don't do, United just don't have enough possession in good areas to break these teams down.

I'm dubious whether United will have time to work on it training given the hectic schedule so think its likely we'll see a few more 0-0 in big games before the end of the season.

Win all the other games and keep the league opposition games to 0-0 will work for me!  ;D

nrico2006

Martial needs to be dropped for Cavani and I honestly don't know whats going on with VDB.  Telles has been a let-down too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 19, 2021, 07:10:53 PM
Martial needs to be dropped for Cavani and I honestly don't know whats going on with VDB.  Telles has been a let-down too.

Telles have done exactly what was needed. Given shaw something to think about.

I would say VDB was bought a year early to stop someone else getting him and before Pogba is ejected. They need to recuperate some of the pogba money and that means he can't be sitting on the bench all season.

Cunny Funt

Martials form In the terms of scoring has dipped a lot from last season but his build/hold up play is still good and arguably the best of any United forward. The number 9 role is a tough one at United with the lack of service. No natural wingers or attacking full backs doesn't help.

Van De Beek reminds me of Fred who wasn't seeing much game time when first arrived to now a regular starter. Telles hasn't played enough games to draw judgement

I'd wonder how much United would be ahead in the table if Woodward  had delivered Ole's two priority signings in the summer? A centre back with good pace to allow the team push up and creative natural winger. It's business that could or should be done this month but Woodward won't with United top thinking every is fine

snoopdog

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 19, 2021, 07:53:25 PM

Martials form In the terms of scoring has dipped a lot from last season but his build/hold up play is still good and arguably the best of any United forward. The number 9 role is a tough one at United with the lack of service. No natural wingers or attacking full backs doesn't help.

Van De Beek reminds me of Fred who wasn't seeing much game time when first arrived to now a regular starter. Telles hasn't played enough games to draw judgement

I'd wonder how much United would be ahead in the table if Woodward  had delivered Ole's two priority signings in the summer? A centre back with good pace to allow the team push up and creative natural winger. It's business that could or should be done this month but Woodward won't with United top thinking every is fine
I honestly dont think Jason sancho  wouldve made a massive difference.I dont see what all the fuss is about. I'd spend that money and more for his team mate Haaland. We need a real finisher.

nrico2006

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 19, 2021, 07:53:25 PM

Cavani's hold up and link play is better than Martial's, plus he would score far more than Martial too. Martial just isn't good enough.

On Sancho, he would be a good signing but I would take Haaland over him too.

Boycey

Martial suits the way United want to play better than Cavani. Infuriatingly he never seems to break through to that next level despite threatening to on occasion. One chink.of hope is that he's at an age now where the likes of Salah, Mane and Firmino stepped up.

Cunny Funt

Cavani game is more about movement and is as good of a finisher as any striker in the league but any striker is only as good as the supply line.

United needed first choice winger, it was Woodward and his chief negotiator Matt Judge that chose to waste the summer on just Sancho. On Haaland for as good as he is do United want to deal another Mino Raiola player?

thebigfella

Dodged one on Sancho I reckon. No where near the quality for the valuation and looking like a full season without gates receipts etc... due to covid so I'd say luck rather than good business