Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 28, 2013, 12:22:04 PM
I would love nothing more than a Mayo win (and hopefully a loss the next day out v Tyrone ;)) my uncle is a massive Mayo fan so I have seen first hand how much psychological damage he has indured over the last decade. However, no matter what sport, it is extremely difficult to raise your game to the very limit with no challenges beforehand. Maybe Donegal are the team were this factor will be diminished as your lads will run through walls after losing the AI final last year.

Will Keane be likely to start? Wasn't he the fella that had a horrid time in last years final?

Keane very unlikely to start - has fallen out of favour since the AIF. Hard on him because he's a fine player, but got badly caught a few times.
Mind you, Chris Barrett, who seems to be front-runner for the corner-back position, is a small player and has been caught himself a few times - Dublin in the league a couple of years ago for example, but I think he was full-back that day.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

larryin89

Donegal were seen as near unbeatable and then had an off day v Monaghan.

Mayo lost an all Ireland final last year in ten min as per and against Donegal too.

Mayo have won the weakest provincial championship  since and had a very  average league campaign  which ended up with Dublin blowing us away in semi final and exposing our fb line again.

We will look like little boys again against the manly murphy and mcfadden.

Why on earth there is such optimism is beyond reason, i can't fathom it anyway.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2013, 12:30:03 PM

Mayo lost an all Ireland final last year in ten min as per and against Donegal too.

Mayo have won the weakest provincial championship  since and had a very  average league campaign  which ended up with Dublin blowing us away in semi final and exposing our fb line again.

The reason for optimism is that we beat Galway handsomely in our first game. The National media rate Galway football and seen this beating and gave it a higher standing that it should have got. This has fed down to the fans and the general public.  We will see how things go. Donegal are a good side. But not invincible. Their mantle has taken a knock and beating Laois meant nothing other than getting to the Quarter finals. They are still a wounded animal. It's a game that will probably make or break this team/group (Mayo).

BluestackBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 01:39:53 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2013, 12:30:03 PM

The reason for optimism is that we beat Galway handsomely in our first game. The National media rate Galway football and seen this beating and gave it a higher standing that it should have got. This has fed down to the fans and the general public.  We will see how things go. Donegal are a good side. But not invincible. Their mantle has taken a knock and beating Laois meant nothing other than getting to the Quarter finals. They are still a wounded animal. It's a game that will probably make or break this team/group (Mayo).

A lot of questions to be answered about both teams yet. Mayo haven't had a meaningful challenge wheras Donegal have had three tough games which believe it or not has reulted in 4 concussions!!!
Like a lot of games the QF will be most likely be decided by a hop of the ball one way or the other or a moment of brilliance or stupidity.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

muppet

Both teams were planning for their high profile matches in May against traditional next door aristocrats.

Both games went according to plan and both dominated while impressing.

Both knew there would be a likely meeting with last year's AIF opponent in August.

With a minor detour, and only a few weeks early, both teams will arrive in Croke Park in August facing long anticipated opponents.

This is a new game. It offers Donegal a chance to prove they are where they want to be, in Croke Park at the business end of the season with serious intentions. What has gone before won't matter. For Mayo it offers a chance of redemption, less than 12 months after another AIF loss. It gives them a chance to show that they too are serious about this end of the season.

From a Mayo viewpoint David Clarke kept us in the match last September and will be a loss. But Aiden O'Shea is much fitter this time round and Andy Moran should be coming to the boil nicely. Does that close the gap from last year? Hopefully, but you never know. Such is the beauty of the knockout, on the day, all or nothing games we all die for.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

How many of Mayo team that started the All Ireland final will start this game?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 28, 2013, 07:04:30 PM

Players from AI 2012 in bold unlikely to play and replacements
Mayo:
1   David Clarke - Probably Hennelly
2   Kevin Keane   - Probably Cunniffe   
3   Ger Cafferkey      
4   Keith Higgins      
5   Lee Keegan      
6   Donal Vaughan      
7   Colm Boyle      
8   Barry Moran Probably S O'Shea      
9   Aidan O'Shea      
10   Kevin McLoughlin
11   Jason Doherty Probably - Feeney   
12   Alan Dillon      
13   Enda Varley Probably - A Moran
14   Cillian O'Connor      
15   Michael Conroy Probably Freeman

Syferus

I think all bar Hennelly would be improvement, Freeman if he can be the genuine 14 he's threatened to be this season would have more influence on the game than Conroy does.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 07:22:30 PM

Mayo:
3   Ger Cafferkey      
4   Keith Higgins      
5   Lee Keegan      
6   Donal Vaughan      
7   Colm Boyle      
9   Aidan O'Shea      
10   Kevin McLoughlin
12   Alan Dillon      
14   Cillian O'Connor      

Cunniffe,Andy Moran should make the side stronger not sure about Feeney,Freeman,S O'Shea,Hennelly.

Sam2011

In my opinion this game is going to define our season. If we win then the team is going to gain huge belief and momentum. If we loose it will be a major set back and a long way to come back for next year.

I only brought myself to watch the final a few weeks ago and after the first 15mins we dominated the game. And if we notched over a few of those easy scores at the start of the second half..............

The lads should not be lacking motivation and hunger for this one unlike the London game. Some of the younger lads on the team need to step up for this game as Dillon and A. Moran are not 100% match fit. Caff, Vaughan, the O'Sheas, O'Connor and Freeman needs to give some of their best performances to date.
Like many I've had my questions about Freeman and for me this is the game which will tell me whether or not he is up to it or not at this level. He can't let the occasion get to him like he has done before in Croke Park.

As we know all to well match ups will be vital. Caff should take up Murphy, Higgins on McBrearty and Cuniffe on McFadden.
The ideal scenario would be to build up a bit of a lead and force Donegal to come out of their shell. However quick starts are something we've failed to do under James.
One thing I would worry about with Dillon off song is our ability to score long range points as I'm sure Donegal will park their 14 men behind the ball.
We need to bring the same hunger, intensity, fight and ruthlessness we brought to the first half of the Galway game.

Its one thing saying we are untested but you also have to acknowledge that as a result we are fresh. Whereas Donegal have been challenged and now have heavier bodies. Which is more of an advantage, we'll have to wait until Sunday to find out.

Really looking forward to the build up of this one. Mayo have their press night tonight and I'm looking forward to seeing what James has to say, mind you he does seem to have mastered the act of talking without really saying much.

On a side note, what was Jimmy McGuinness raving about the physicality of the game? I was sitting in the upper Davin in last years all Ireland final and I had a perfect view of how the Mcgees targeted O'Connor. Jim if you can give it out but can't take it then don't give it out.
Trying to influence the ref perhaps?

Also anyone know if Lacey will start?

Donegal are not going to give up their crown easily but I expect Mayo's hunger to win it for them it the end.
It will be some battle but bring it on!!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on July 28, 2013, 09:16:58 PM

On a side note, what was Jimmy McGuinness raving about the physicality of the game? I was sitting in the upper Davin in last years all Ireland final and I had a perfect view of how the Mcgees targeted O'Connor. Jim if you can give it out but can't take it then don't give it out.
Trying to influence the ref perhaps?

What raving are you talking about?
He spoke from concern for his players safety having seen four of them suffering from concussion in the last three games & one spend two nights in hospital.
This has nothing to do with the ordinary cut & thrust of a game but is about the bone crunching hits, a lot of them marginally late, that are gong in nowadays. If the tackle Gallogly put in on McHugh happened in a rugby game he would have been sent off as you are not simply allowed to crash into people. Intent doesn't come into it. Every player has a responsibility to himself & his opponent not to to play in a recklessly dangerous manner & the fact that you would call this "raving" says a lot more about you than it does about McGuinness.

ballinaman

Spoke to a few of the lads over the last few weeks. They really wanted a shot a Donegal this year. Spoke with gritted teeth and serious stare in the eyes too when they were mentioned. Got what they wanted. It's going to be some war, can't wait.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 28, 2013, 07:52:13 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 07:22:30 PM

Mayo:
3   Ger Cafferkey      
4   Keith Higgins      
5   Lee Keegan      
6   Donal Vaughan      
7   Colm Boyle      
9   Aidan O'Shea      
10   Kevin McLoughlin
12   Alan Dillon      
14   Cillian O'Connor      

Cunniffe,Andy Moran should make the side stronger not sure about Feeney,Freeman,S O'Shea,Hennelly.
Feeney should have been brought on earlier last year, likewise S O'Shea imo. But that's in the past.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Donegal might well end up like Kilkenny hurlers. Beaten in their province, won a game or two, but ran out of steam owing to injuries etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BluestackBoy

Quote from: armaghniac on July 28, 2013, 09:56:40 PM
Donegal might well end up like Kilkenny hurlers. Beaten in their province, won a game or two, but ran out of steam owing to injuries etc.

You might well be right armaghniac. The parallels are there to be seen.