Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam2011

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 28, 2013, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: Sam2011 on July 28, 2013, 09:16:58 PM

On a side note, what was Jimmy McGuinness raving about the physicality of the game? I was sitting in the upper Davin in last years all Ireland final and I had a perfect view of how the Mcgees targeted O'Connor. Jim if you can give it out but can't take it then don't give it out.
Trying to influence the ref perhaps?

What raving are you talking about?
He spoke from concern for his players safety having seen four of them suffering from concussion in the last three games & one spend two nights in hospital.
This has nothing to do with the ordinary cut & thrust of a game but is about the bone crunching hits, a lot of them marginally late, that are gong in nowadays. If the tackle Gallogly put in on McHugh happened in a rugby game he would have been sent off as you are not simply allowed to crash into people. Intent doesn't come into it. Every player has a responsibility to himself & his opponent not to to play in a recklessly dangerous manner & the fact that you would call this "raving" says a lot more about you than it does about McGuinness.

Excuse me but you have never met me nor do you know anything about me so leave the personal stuff out good lad. Don't know how you can judge my character by using the word raving on an internet forum.
The thing that annoyed me about this interview was the fact McGuinness was giving out about the physicality of the game when Donegal are one of the most physical teams in the championship.
His reference to the All Ireland final to me suggests that he was trying to send out a message to the ref for the game on Sunday which also annoyed me as last years final had nothing to do with what happened Mchugh in the Monaghan game.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on July 28, 2013, 10:16:25 PM

On a side note, what was Jimmy McGuinness raving about the physicality of the game? I was sitting in the upper Davin in last years all Ireland final and I had a perfect view of how the Mcgees targeted O'Connor. Jim if you can give it out but can't take it then don't give it out.

He spoke from concern for his players safety having seen four of them suffering from concussion in the last three games & one spend two nights in hospital.
This has nothing to do with the ordinary cut & thrust of a game but is about the bone crunching hits, a lot of them marginally late, that are gong in nowadays. If the tackle Gallogly put in on McHugh happened in a rugby game he would have been sent off as you are not simply allowed to crash into people. Intent doesn't come into it. Every player has a responsibility to himself & his opponent not to to play in a recklessly dangerous manner & the fact that you would call this "raving" says a lot more about you than it does about McGuinness.

Excuse me but you have never met me nor do you know anything about me so leave the personal stuff out good lad. Don't know how you can judge my character by using the word raving on an internet forum.
The thing that annoyed me about this interview was the fact McGuinness was giving out about the physicality of the game when Donegal are one of the most physical teams in the championship.
His reference to the All Ireland final to me suggests that he was trying to send out a message to the ref for the game on Sunday which also annoyed me as last years final had nothing to do with what happened Mchugh in the Monaghan game.

You are the one who used the word "raving" when referring to McGuinness. If you can judge McGuinness then you can hardly complain if  it applies to you as well.
The point he was making is that the physicality is now getting to the dangerous stage where concussion & hospital stays are becoming the norm and all you have to do is read some of the contributions here to see that people think it's no big deal. They are wrong, it is a big deal.
Why would he be sending out a message about Mayo? They are no more physical than Tyrone or Monaghan so don't be getting annoyed reading things that are not there.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 28, 2013, 10:26:43 PM

You are the one who used the word "raving" when referring to McGuinness. If you can judge McGuinness then you can hardly complain if  it applies to you as well.
The point he was making is that the physicality is now getting to the dangerous stage where concussion & hospital stays are becoming the norm and all you have to do is read some of the contributions here to see that people think it's no big deal. They are wrong, it is a big deal.
Why would he be sending out a message about Mayo? They are no more physical than Tyrone or Monaghan so don't be getting annoyed reading things that are not there.

It's there listen to the interview.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 10:29:43 PM

His reference to the All Ireland Final from last year is because of the head high clothes line tackle that was a Mayo speciality in the first half of that game. I don't blame him a bit for not wanting a repeat of that & would be surprised if you did

Sam2011

Where in that piece did I judge McGuinness???????
For one last time, In my opinion it is very rich of McGuinness to be giving out about the physicality of the game seeing as Donegal are one of the most physical teams in the country.
Please tell the question about why he is sending out a message about Mayo is a rhetorical question.
I listened to the interview and he clearly references the final, I'm not imagining things thank you.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 28, 2013, 10:37:47 PM

His reference to the All Ireland Final from last year is because of the head high clothes line tackle that was a Mayo speciality in the first half of that game. I don't blame him a bit for not wanting a repeat of that & would be surprised if you did

So you admit that he is trying to influence the referee in the upcoming game v Mayo?

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on July 28, 2013, 10:41:39 PM

For one last time, In my opinion it is very rich of McGuinness to be giving out about the physicality of the game seeing as Donegal are one of the most physical teams in the country.
Please tell the question about why he is sending out a message about Mayo is a rhetorical question.
I listened to the interview and he clearly references the final, I'm not imagining things thank you.

Read your own post " What was Jimmy McGuinness raving about". I only used the same yardstick to judge you that you used on him.
Donegal have no problems with physicality, it is dangerous reckless hits that they don't like.
As to the All Ireland it was last year's final he referred to, the game where Mayo used head high, clothes line tackles as part of their defensive strategy until Maurice Deegan put a stop to it. I for one have no problem with any steps that prevent a repeat & would be surprised that any self respecting GAA man would either

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 10:43:19 PM

So you admit that he is trying to influence the referee in the upcoming game v Mayo?

You've gone silent?  ::)

ross matt

This is the match James Horan & Mayo have been waiting for (and probably gearing themselves for all year. It''s not their fault that their provincial opponents were so poor. Since the Connacht final Galway redeemed themselves since via their performances v Armagh & Cork. Ross went down fighting V Tyrone.

But it doesnt alter the fact that both sides threw in the towel very early on against a hungry, focussed Mayo side. Mayo in response to this..... maintained their very professional standards by hammering both sides.

Mayo have improved since last season. They're now more clinical in front of goals. And they're hungry & fresh. Donegal are still a fine side but Monaghan showed them how powerful hunger can be.

This is a huge match for both sides. I just feel Mayo want & need it more. I feel they are the hungrier, fresher side. Donegal still looked a little flat v Laois. Mayo by 4.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 10:56:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 10:43:19 PM

You've gone silent?  ::)

God no bunker, if you knew me better you wouldn't ask that ;D ;D ;D
To answer your question if he is trying to make sure that there are no dangerous head high tackles next Sunday then fair enough, guilty as charged. But any manager worth his salt will look out for his players safety & surely no one can criticise them for that or am I giving people too much credit?

From the Bunker

BluestackBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2013, 11:28:46 PM
Ok we agree he is influencing the referee!

We would except that it now looks like the interview took place before the draw was made. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wildweasel74

Bluestack if you can`t see the hit on McHugh is accidental u may started going to the soccer son,

Sam2011

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 28, 2013, 10:50:40 PM
Quote from: Sam2011 on July 28, 2013, 10:41:39 PM

Read your own post " What was Jimmy McGuinness raving about". I only used the same yardstick to judge you that you used on him.
Donegal have no problems with physicality, it is dangerous reckless hits that they don't like.
As to the All Ireland it was last year's final he referred to, the game where Mayo used head high, clothes line tackles as part of their defensive strategy until Maurice Deegan put a stop to it. I for one have no problem with any steps that prevent a repeat & would be surprised that any self respecting GAA man would either

In my opinion Jimmys acquisitions were wild considering that him own team have been just as physical as what they have encountered so far. I am judging his comments, not him on a personal level.
To make this clear to you the two points I was making about the interview were:
1) It was rich of McGuinness when to be making a statement about the physicality of the game when his own players dish out the same thing. For example, Thompson sticking his finger in Kevin McLoughlin's eye in the league game this year.
2) His reference to last years final was irrelevant to the interview. The only reason he mentioned that game was to drop a message to the ref for Sundays game, in my view.

I'm not encouraging this behaviour at all but it is part of the modern game.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 28, 2013, 11:32:38 PM
Bluestack if you can see the hit on McHugh is accidental u may started going to the soccer son,

Sorry wildweasel I don't get your point.

As for the "son" bit I went to my first Donegal game in 1972, so unless you are geriatric altogether.........