Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

In my opinion Jimmys acquisitions were wild considering that him own team have been just as physical as what they have encountered so far. I am judging his comments, not him on a personal level.
To make this clear to you the two points I was making about the interview were:
1) It was rich of McGuinness when to be making a statement about the physicality of the game when his own players dish out the same thing. For example, Thompson sticking his finger in Kevin McLoughlin's eye in the league game this year.
2) His reference to last years final was irrelevant to the interview. The only reason he mentioned that game was to drop a message to the ref for Sundays game, in my view.

I'm not encouraging this behaviour at all but it is part of the modern game.

Thompson "sticking" his finger in McLoughlin's eye is your version. My version is no injury to player, no complaint from player, no complaint from Mayo management. Enough said.
Dropping a mesage to the ref for Sunday's game would be difficult as it now appears that the interview was carried out before the draw was made. Enough said.

If you don't encourage this behaviour the why give McGuinness stick for raising it? To say that it is part of the modern game is not nearly good enough. Will we have to wait until someone ends up in a wheelchair till something is done?
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 28, 2013, 11:40:55 PM
well saying your clocking in at 188 posts, as u pulled some other guy for 300,i presume you part of the jump on the band wagon supporters who clocked in here after you won the all-ireland last year, hell u been round that long you bound seen harder tackles than that. I remember a harder tackle F Doherty done on B Dunnion bck in 2006, 3 times the collision on McHugh

Sorry wildweasel that should have said 3,000 & you have to admit it was not a contribution that Des Cahill is likely to be reading out anytime soon!!

As for the 2006 collision, you never know how these things are going to work out, the other factor is that the strength & conditioning of the modern player is such that he packs far more of a wallop than years ago. Rugby & soccer have both outlawed dangerous tackles like these irrespective of intent & truth be told I think there is now a case for banning high collision shoulder to shoulder tackles too.
Any tackle where a man is lined up & hit where he doesn't see it coming & is not in a position to defend himself should be a red card. I'm amazed that we are even debating it when I think about it

Sam2011

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 28, 2013, 11:42:23 PM
In my opinion Jimmys acquisitions were wild considering that him own team have been just as physical as what they have encountered so far. I am judging his comments, not him on a personal level.
1) It was rich of McGuinness when to be making a statement about the physicality of the game when his own players dish out the same thing. For example, Thompson sticking his finger in Kevin McLoughlin's eye in the league game this year.
2) His reference to last years final was irrelevant to the interview. The only reason he mentioned that game was to drop a message to the ref for Sundays game, in my view.

Thompson "sticking" his finger in McLoughlin's eye is your version. My version is no injury to player, no complaint from player, no complaint from Mayo management. Enough said.
Dropping a mesage to the ref for Sunday's game would be difficult as it now appears that the interview was carried out before the draw was made. Enough said.

If you don't encourage this behaviour the why give McGuinness stick for raising it? To say that it is part of the modern game is not nearly good enough. Will we have to wait until someone ends up in a wheelchair till something is done?

So just because a player or manager doesn't make an issue out of a serious accident in a game its fine. Seeing as that seems to be your opinion tell me this. If McGuinness or McHugh did not highlight the challenge imposed on McHugh in the Monaghan game you would be totally fine with the incident?? Yeah??

Yes I watched the Sunday game and I saw the interview. That however still does not stop me believing that the fact that McGuinness was still not dropping a hint to the ref for the next game.

Me giving out about Jimmy and me not encouraging the behaviour are to different things.
I was giving out about Jimmy because his own team have carried out the same actions.

larryin89

Sure they were all grand about the challenge till tonight. Jimmy is gawd and the hills people follow.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on July 28, 2013, 11:58:15 PM

So just because a player or manager doesn't make an issue out of a serious accident in a game its fine. Seeing as that seems to be your opinion tell me this. If McGuinness or McHugh did not highlight the challenge imposed on McHugh in the Monaghan game you would be totally fine with the incident?? Yeah??

Yes I watched the Sunday game and I saw the interview. That however still does not stop me believing that the fact that McGuinness was still not dropping a hint to the ref for the next game.

Me giving out about Jimmy and me not encouraging the behaviour are to different things.
I was giving out about Jimmy because his own team have carried out the same actions.

Maybe I wasn't being clear enough about the "eye gouging". There was no eye gouging.
If McGuinness was "dropping a hint" that he wants dangerous tackling taken out of Gaelic football then I am with him all the way. I'll put it as clear as this. Any player who lines up & slams into another who doesn't see him coming & therefore can't defend himself should get a red card. I would even extend it to shoulder to shoulder tackles which are often no such thing. This is all about safety & protecting our players.
What McGuinness wants is this to be cut from the game full stop. Yes he has a track record at protecting his own. He laid into Pat Spillane a few years ago for comments he made on the Sunday game, he also stood up for McBrearty during "bitegate" and he is looking out for them here now. But the point he makes goes beyond Donegal and players in Mayo, Dublin, Carlow & London should be able to go on the field with protection from kamakaze tackles.

ross matt

Your argument had sweet FA credibility before that comment but you've definitely blown yourself out of the water now.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: ross matt on July 29, 2013, 12:11:46 AM

Your argument had sweet FA credibility before that comment but you've definitely blown yourself out of the water now.

Fair enough. If you think that my having position on risks to player safety is a subject that has "no credibility" then tht's your privelige. I just hope it never comes to your door.

Sam2011

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 29, 2013, 12:10:09 AM

Maybe I wasn't being clear enough about the "eye gouging". There was no eye gouging.
If McGuinness was "dropping a hint" that he wants dangerous tackling taken out of Gaelic football then I am with him all the way. I'll put it as clear as this. Any player who lines up & slams into another who doesn't see him coming & therefore can't defend himself should get a red card. I would even extend it to shoulder to shoulder tackles which are often no such thing. This is all about safety & protecting our players.
What McGuinness wants is this to be cut from the game full stop. Yes he has a track record at protecting his own. He laid into Pat Spillane a few years ago for comments he made on the Sunday game, he also stood up for McBrearty during "bitegate" and he is looking out for them here now. But the point he makes goes beyond Donegal and players in Mayo, Dublin, Carlow & London should be able to go on the field with protection from kamakaze tackles.

There was an attempt at eye gouging full stop. You still did not answer my question by the way.
Look I don't want to get into this debate about the McHugh incident. It has nothing to do with me and is irrevelant to Sundays game.
Please don't be so naive as to think that McGuinness was only making a point about the physicality of the game. Everyone on here and journalists on twitter have noticed this was a hint to the ref.
I was just strolling through twitter there and I saw this tweet from Ewan MacKenna (journalist) ''In fact remember two years ago, McGuinness saying Kieran McGeeney made cynical attempts to influence referee. So he's a hypocrite?'' Oh the irony, poor Jimmy has been caught out.

James Horan also said at the press conference tonight that Donegal will take every advantage they get.

Oh its going to be an interesting week!!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on July 29, 2013, 12:26:37 AM

There was an attempt at eye gouging full stop. You still did not answer my question by the way.
Look I don't want to get into this debate about the McHugh incident. It has nothing to do with me and is irrevelant to Sundays game.
Please don't be so naive as to think that McGuinness was only making a point about the physicality of the game. Everyone on here and journalists on twitter have noticed this was a hint to the ref.
I was just strolling through twitter there and I saw this tweet from Ewan MacKenna (journalist) ''In fact remember two years ago, McGuinness saying Kieran McGeeney made cynical attempts to influence referee. So he's a hypocrite?'' Oh the irony, poor Jimmy has been caught out.

James Horan also said at the press conference tonight that Donegal will take every advantage they get.

There is still the question of the interview taking place before the draw. I think it was Mrs Green in the library with a poker.

ck

I'm starting to think that BluestackBoy is Jimmy McGuinness! Jimmy you made a tool of yourself in that interview. Pot, kettle black and all that. Now get back to managing your team and stop playing silly little games through the media!

larryin89

If it was prior to the draw he made the remark , sound but he still knew he was playing a q/f next week against Kerry/Mayo or Dublin, so it doesn't change the context of his agenda .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Sam2011

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 29, 2013, 12:33:40 AM
Quote from: Sam2011 on July 29, 2013, 12:26:37 AM

There is still the question of the interview taking place before the draw. I think it was Mrs Green in the library with a poker.

The interview was before the draw, I know that. But as larryin89 said, regardless of the opposition McGuinness agenda was still the same.
You still have failed to answer my question as to if McGuinness did not raise the McHugh incident in the media, then you would have no issue with it.

Whitnail

Quote from: ross matt on July 28, 2013, 11:02:27 PM
This is the match James Horan & Mayo have been waiting for (and probably gearing themselves for all year. It''s not their fault that their provincial opponents were so poor. Since the Connacht final Galway redeemed themselves since via their performances v Armagh & Cork. Ross went down fighting V Tyrone.

But it doesnt alter the fact that both sides threw in the towel very early on against a hungry, focussed Mayo side. Mayo in response to this..... maintained their very professional standards by hammering both sides.

Mayo have improved since last season. They're now more clinical in front of goals. And they're hungry & fresh. Donegal are still a fine side but Monaghan showed them how powerful hunger can be.

This is a huge match for both sides. I just feel Mayo want & need it more. I feel they are the hungrier, fresher side. Donegal still looked a little flat v Laois. Mayo by 4.

It's hard to argue with that.

In a 70min one off game though I think Donegal might nick it.
For a change no-one in the county is expecting them to win and the players know that no-one will criticize them or the manager if they lose.

It's a great position to be in and I think it will relax them and  they can enjoy the occasion.

Not  going to pretend I know what going on in Mayo but surely it's a must win for them?
Going into the match like this as favourites is an awkward place to find themselves in I imagine.

Murphy scored a fine point (from play lol )against Laois sat night and he's due a game.
I think  I even saw McLoone score a point when he came on and neither of those things have happened for a few games at least!

Donegal by 1

IolarCoisCuain

I think McGuinness has a point. Remember Stephen O'Neill's vicious hit on Neil McGee earlier this summer? http://youtu.be/9jSWZcgg14c

McGee could have killed stone dead. Won't anybody think of the children?

BluestackBoy

The interview was before the draw, I know that. But as larryin89 said, regardless of the opposition McGuinness agenda was still the same.
You still have failed to answer my question as to if McGuinness did not raise the McHugh incident in the media, then you would have no issue with it.

So we have now finally established that McGuinness wasn't referring to the Mayo game in particular?  Good stuff.

What agenda are you talking about? If you are talking about McGuinness wanting protection from late blindside hits then I have no problem with that.

How fo you come to the conclusion that I "have no problem" with the McHugh "incident" as you so delicately put it. I would have thought that the last 20 posts or so wouls show different. What I would ask is if a differendt manager had raised these same points would he be getting the same abuse, I don't think so.