USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

hope its not switched to sunday as the newry half marathon is on that day and im intending to run in it. anybody that would rather watch the champions league final on tv is not a real fan of down or armagh as this is one match nobody should want to miss.
nil satis nisi optimum

bennydorano

It'll be a game hard watched, when Armagh/Tyrone was the fixture it would near make me sick to the pit of my stomach, this will be the same for me. It's a game that i couldn't physically watch on tv, i'd be up & down, in & out, flicking the channels. But sure we wouldnt have it any other way :)

Whats the ticket split? 70/30? There's no 50/50 rule is there?

whitegoodman

Agree with those that say its a must see game.  Those that may miss it because of a soccer match, concert or wedding isnt a die hard fan of either down or armagh.  Skip the wedding, even if its ur own...........

Its not the type of match u can enjoy, u cant even enjoy the week leading up to it for the nervousness and tension.  This is only exaggerated by the genuine hatred felt and the likely tightness of the match.  The craic about newry for the couple of wks leading up to it will be mighty but at the back of ur mind ur thinking what if the these fcukers bt us.

God help the losing set of fans in the wks that follow.  Im booking a couple of wks in lanzarote from the 30th May just in case POR pulls of a masterstroke!!!

No1

I can't believe any bona fide Down fan would even contemplate choosing another sporting fixture over this one, I just can't understand the reasoning behind it.

The ridicule and abuse we had to listen to leaving Clones in 99 has never quite left me.  I know we have the qualifiers now but losing this one doesn't bear thinking about.  The thought of Ciaran McKeever celebrating at the final whistle is making me feel quite sick.

I hope wobbler is wrong but I can see where he is coming from.

Down by a point, Coulter scoring a major with the last kick to secure victory!

you take er!

Quote from: No1 on April 13, 2011, 08:58:47 PM
  I can't believe any bona fide Down fan would even contemplate choosing another sporting fixture over this one, I just can't understand the reasoning behind it.

The ridicule and abuse we had to listen to leaving Clones in 99 has never quite left me.  I know we have the qualifiers now but losing this one doesn't bear thinking about.  The thought of Ciaran McKeever celebrating at the final whistle is making me feel quite sick.

Unfortunately there are unsporting types on both sides No.1 I remember one Down fan Near me just before the throw in in 99 shouting 'fu*k Armagh and all the who*res in it!' This was met by rapturous cheers from red and black fans around. These people tend to out themselves only when the bumblebee hits the window.

armaghniac

QuoteThe ridicule and abuse we had to listen to leaving Clones in 99 has never quite left me.

Oh Dear, that's terrible. I mean ridicule might be understandable, but there was no need for abuse.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardchieftain

These people tend to out themselves only when the bumblebee hits the window.

Brilliant saying hahaha

snoopdog

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 13, 2011, 08:23:50 PM
Agree with those that say its a must see game.  Those that may miss it because of a soccer match, concert or wedding isnt a die hard fan of either down or armagh.  Skip the wedding, even if its ur own...........

Its not the type of match u can enjoy, u cant even enjoy the week leading up to it for the nervousness and tension.  This is only exaggerated by the genuine hatred felt and the likely tightness of the match.  The craic about newry for the couple of wks leading up to it will be mighty but at the back of ur mind ur thinking what if the these fcukers bt us.

God help the losing set of fans in the wks that follow.  Im booking a couple of wks in lanzarote from the 30th May just in case POR pulls of a masterstroke!!!

Its not 'A' soccer match, its the biggest Soccer game of them all, the European Cup Final.
And to say that if someone missed the first round of ulster to watch their soccer team in the biggest sporting occasion of them all as not a proper Down or Armagh fan is absolute Bollix in my opinion.
If half the hangers on from last August and September were proper Down fans we could fill the athletic grounds twice over.

You can support more than one code.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: you take er! on April 13, 2011, 11:30:25 PM
I remember one Down fan Near me just before the throw in in 99 shouting 'f**k Armagh and all the who*res in it!'

Proper order too  ;D ;D ;D
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

A fan who cannot manage to go to a championship game, is not really a fan. Especially if their excuse is a crowd of overpaid prats poncing about in some other country.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: No1 on April 13, 2011, 08:58:47 PM

Prepare to be sick, POR is bringing back McGeeny and Houlie I hear.

whitegoodman

Snoop i didnt say they wouldnt be supporters, i said they wouldnt be DIE HARD supporters.  Its not a personal attack on anyone, im just saying that if they want to watch UTD instead of Down/Armagh they must be UTD diehards rather than Down or Armagh diehards

Dont no why u would want to watch the worst UTD team in 20 years get a tanking against one of the best teams ever anyway ;)

PAULD123

I consider myself a true Down fan, I lived in England for 12 years and missed only 3-4 championship matches. In 1994 I cut short a trip to the Philippine islands to come home for the All-Ireland final.

But I have to admit I can understand someone's dilemma regarding other sports. If I was given a ticket to see Celtic play in the European cup final on the day of a USFC quarter final I probably would go. That would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think that while generally I would never place a soccer match over a Gaelic match such an event would be so hard to come by, yes I am sorry I would probably go.

However no way would I be staying at home to watch it on TV, record it, SKY+ it or do something but choosing a TV match over attending Down vs Armagh would never happen.

So what do you think WhiteGM am I now just another fair weather fan?

dec

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 13, 2011, 07:18:36 PM
hope its not switched to sunday as the newry half marathon is on that day and im intending to run in it. anybody that would rather watch the champions league final on tv is not a real fan of down or armagh as this is one match nobody should want to miss.

Newry Half starts at 9:30 am you will have plenty of time to run it and still get to the game if it gets switched.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: snoopdog on April 14, 2011, 09:12:06 AM
Its not 'A' soccer match, its the biggest Soccer game of them all, the European Cup Final.
And to say that if someone missed the first round of ulster to watch their soccer team in the biggest sporting occasion of them all as not a proper Down or Armagh fan is absolute Bollix in my opinion.
If half the hangers on from last August and September were proper Down fans we could fill the athletic grounds twice over.

You can support more than one code.

How are things Mr Glazer? Welcome to the board.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?