Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

From the Bunker

Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 16, 2013, 07:48:20 PM
It will be important for Mayo to get the free taking sorted out before later in the summer as in O'Connor's absence it didn't look great.

Would not be in a panic! How many frees were missed today? Can't remember myself. What i do know is Mcloughlin scored 4 frees and Freeman scored 3. Only placed ball i can remember being missed was a 45 from Clarke (which nearly ended up a flick in goal).

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 16, 2013, 08:06:47 PM
It will be important for Mayo to get the free taking sorted out before later in the summer as in O'Connor's absence it didn't look great.

Would not be in a panic! How many frees were missed today? Can't remember myself. What i do know is Mcloughlin scored 4 frees and Freeman scored 3. Only placed ball i can remember being missed was a 45 from Clarke (which nearly ended up a flick in goal).

It was worrying seeing so many cooks today, even the back-up keeper had a pop! I think the first three 45m range frees were all took by different players. It worked out today in terms of conversions but it's much more likely to come a cropper in Croke Park and that's not something any title-chasing team can afford.

I suppose Mayo people are hoping CO'C will be back but expecting much from a lad with two serious shoulder injuries in a little over six months is a dangerous thing.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2013, 06:52:25 PM
It's very hard to analyse a game like that today. Like FtB, I was worried early on, but for all Ros's pressure and dominance they were only 2 points clear. If that happened in August it'd be game over I'm afraid... Mayo bossed it after going a few points up. And the last few minutes, well I doubt anyone took what happened then seriously. Overall a good performance, but need to improve if we're to reach the semi. Saying that, the defence were tigerish once again, and the forwards were good when they got going. Seamie O'Shea outstanding again. As someone said...25 pages...for that!

In fairness most of it was Syferus talking shite.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2013, 08:29:44 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2013, 06:52:25 PM
It's very hard to analyse a game like that today. Like FtB, I was worried early on, but for all Ros's pressure and dominance they were only 2 points clear. If that happened in August it'd be game over I'm afraid... Mayo bossed it after going a few points up. And the last few minutes, well I doubt anyone took what happened then seriously. Overall a good performance, but need to improve if we're to reach the semi. Saying that, the defence were tigerish once again, and the forwards were good when they got going. Seamie O'Shea outstanding again. As someone said...25 pages...for that!

In fairness most of it was Syferus talking shite.

Passive aggressive much?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2013, 08:24:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 16, 2013, 08:06:47 PM

It was worrying seeing so many cooks today, even the back-up keeper had a pop! I think the first three 45m range frees were all took by different players. It worked out today in terms of conversions but it's much more likely to come a cropper in Croke Park and that's not something any title-chasing team can afford.

I suppose Mayo people are hoping CO'C will be back but expecting much from a lad with two serious shoulder injuries in a little over six months is a dangerous thing.

Oh the wishful thinking Sy! Ah we'll be alright. Injuries and coping with them are part of the game!

INDIANA

surprised at how bad roscommon were. Jacked it in as well with 20 to go. i'd expect a lot to be booking tickets to the US as we speak

Tubberman

Freeman surprised me in a big way today, and in a good way.
Some of his overhead catches were outstanding. Catching and holding onto the ball has been one of his biggest weakness. His confidence is obviously higher, and today will hopefully bring him on even further. Having Andy back along with a rejuvinated Freeman is almost like two new players.
We lost a worrying amount of the breaks in midfield, but Ros couldn't capatilise on it. That's something we can't afford when we get to Croker (I think we're allowed to assume we'll get there now).
The only other slight concern I'd have is that we failed to score a goal in a game we won so comfortably. There were a couple of chances, but we didn't really carve out any gilt-edged chances bar Richie Feeney's chance at the death.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on June 16, 2013, 09:15:24 PM
surprised at how bad roscommon were. Jacked it in as well with 20 to go. i'd expect a lot to be booking tickets to the US as we speak

Ah, its hard to blame them (in a way)! It's a long wait to the Round 2 games on  July 6th or July 13th and you are going to be meeting a team that is after winning round 1 of the qualifiers and has the feel good factor back. I sincerely hope they get a good draw, get a couple of games and end the season on a relative high. The game this side of the shannon needs healthy Galway and Roscommon sides. We naturally want to beat both and win 10 Nestor Cups in a row. But they become worthless, if this lobsidedness continues. Both naturally will be back and god help us when they are!

Quote from: Tubberman on June 16, 2013, 09:49:45 PM
Freeman surprised me in a big way today, and in a good way.
Some of his overhead catches were outstanding. Catching and holding onto the ball has been one of his biggest weakness. His confidence is obviously higher, and today will hopefully bring him on even further. Having Andy back along with a rejuvinated Freeman is almost like two new players.
We lost a worrying amount of the breaks in midfield, but Ros couldn't capatilise on it. That's something we can't afford when we get to Croker (I think we're allowed to assume we'll get there now).
The only other slight concern I'd have is that we failed to score a goal in a game we won so comfortably. There were a couple of chances, but we didn't really carve out any gilt-edged chances bar Richie Feeney's chance at the death.

Freeman a pleasant surprise. The lack of going for goal especially in the second half where you'd sorta expect to try and carve out a few openings in preparation for big games . I have a sneaky feeling Horan (and his back room team) was trying to hold back today. A comprehensive win was all that was sought after half time (the same the last day v Galway).

From the Bunker

It's a journey we're on rather than a destination! - John Evans on the Sunday Game

Think he's got that line wrong!  :P

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 16, 2013, 10:48:09 PM
It's a journey we're on rather than a destination! - John Evans on the Sunday Game

Think he's got that line wrong!  :P

I was afraid he'd accidentally hit poor James when his hands snapped up during Marty's Six-One interview with both managers.

Probably the only match-up we'd have won today, actually.

ross matt

Congratulations to Mayo on another ruthless, efficient and professional performance. They never really took the foot of the gas and just like they were in the Galway game there was no show boating or going for glory scores when they were well out of sight.

From a Roscommon point of view we started really well and dominated possession but even then it was ominous looking in terms of how well the Mayo defence dealt with any balls that went in. Even when we were in the lead you just knew we weren't scoring with enough ease to make it count.

The match was over as a contest 10 minutes before half time. We looked from them onwards as if we were going though the motions. There was no heart or fight in Roscommon. They only lost the second half 8-5 and got on alot of ball but never looked purposeful with it.

Mayo haven't just improved in terms of strength and conditioning. Their ability to take scores from play has vastly improved also. They will probably win the Connacht final by a greater margin than today or even the Galway game but you can only beat what's in front of you and they appear very focussed on consistently hitting their own high standards.

Roscommon have no reason to go booking transatlantic flights and throwing in the towel on championship 2013. Mayo are a member of a top 6 club that are miles ahead of the next tier of which we are part of. If the Rossies get the heads down and refocus + are lucky with the back door draw they still can win a match or two and together with today's humiliation learn from the experience.

iorras

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the worrying snagglepuss or snafflepuss or whatever you call yourself, tis very touching you'd be worried about Mayo's free taking. We'll ask Donie Buckley to give you a shout for a few tips on coaching the free taking

spuds

Quote from: ross matt on June 16, 2013, 11:40:21 PM
Congratulations to Mayo on another ruthless, efficient and professional performance. They never really took the foot of the gas and just like they were in the Galway game there was no show boating or going for glory scores when they were well out of sight.

From a Roscommon point of view we started really well and dominated possession but even then it was ominous looking in terms of how well the Mayo defence dealt with any balls that went in. Even when we were in the lead you just knew we weren't scoring with enough ease to make it count.

The match was over as a contest 10 minutes before half time. We looked from them onwards as if we were going though the motions. There was no heart or fight in Roscommon. They only lost the second half 8-5 and got on alot of ball but never looked purposeful with it.

Mayo haven't just improved in terms of strength and conditioning. Their ability to take scores from play has vastly improved also. They will probably win the Connacht final by a greater margin than today or even the Galway game but you can only beat what's in front of you and they appear very focussed on consistently hitting their own high standards.

Roscommon have no reason to go booking transatlantic flights and throwing in the towel on championship 2013. Mayo are a member of a top 6 club that are miles ahead of the next tier of which we are part of. If the Rossies get the heads down and refocus + are lucky with the back door draw they still can win a match or two and together with today's humiliation learn from the experience.

Good post Ross Matt, there is a journey to be had with this county football craic and it is an investment of years that might and might not pay off. Mayo are further down the road at the moment than any other Connacht county but the cycle of football like all sports is a short one and all can change with one win/loss. To see how Laois got to an All Ireland 1/4 final last year and maybe should of beat Dublin after being beat in Leinster by Longford in 1st round. To see 4 or so of their players fly off after being beat this year really holds back any prospect of them pushing on to any extent. Roscommon were at such a low ebb towards the end of the noughties that any progress was always most likely going to be quite gradual, regardless of underage potential. It might take a few years more to get the older players to be true leaders and an inspiration for the younger bucks but hopefully they will as Connacht football needs a right competitive championship. Almost 20,000 at game today with the result never in doubt, there is a public there that needs servicing.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

stephenite

Whitnail

Roscommon were tactically inept.

Plenty of opportunities to work the ball into at least the 20-30 yrd line in that game but deciding to take pot shots from the 40-50 yard line instead. Madness.

Was watching in the pub and remember saying a few times that any second that fella is  gonna actually try one from from the 45 yard line.Sure enough.........

Ironic thing was that said players  were being closed down at that distance due to mayo defending high up the pitch whereas two or three more passes and they actually would have had more room to shoot.
Mayo weren't actually forcing them to shoot from that distance.

Tbf I think football is moving to a level where the happy go lucky punting from that distance just isn't a credible plan a, b, c or x  anymore.
It's just too low percentage against a team like Mayo anyway.
Mayo strong Ross just naive.
Not that great to watch  tbf.