Are Dublin the best team ever ?

Started by Saffrongael, August 09, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 09, 2014, 11:33:17 PM
The minimum qualification for any side to even make the short list  for the best ever is back to back All Irelands. So far, this is not best team to come out of Dublin, never mind the entire country. If they retain Sam this year, they could be in a position to push on towards some major targets. The strength of their squad is particularly impressive but the history of Gaelic games is littered with big names who could not cope with the pressures of initial success. Judge Dublin in another year or two.
Well said.

ONeill

They definitely have the potential to be up there with the best sides ever. We'll know in 5 years. If they win their 3rd AI in 4 years then they've a long way to go to match the Dublin of 1891-1908....if they had the same players.....11 AIs, 2 RUs.

Then the Dublin of 20-24 - 3 AIs 2 RUs

Then the Dublin of 74-79 - 3 AIs 3 RUs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Rossfan on August 09, 2014, 11:14:23 PM
With CEO Jim Gavin in charge of a large coaching staff who prepare the playing staff and with a logistcs staff and no doubt  an administrative staff to back up all the other types of staff not to mention sponsorships of about mtwice the amount of all other GAA units combined - what chance have the poor oul small amateur Counties got to give them any run for their money?
with posts like that you should get the bus

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Johnnybegood on August 10, 2014, 08:20:05 PM
With CEO Jim Gavin in charge of a large coaching staff who prepare the playing staff and with a logistcs staff and no doubt  an administrative staff to back up all the other types of staff not to mention sponsorships of about mtwice the amount of all other GAA units combined - what chance have the poor oul small amateur Counties got to give them any run for their money?
Roscommon have a bus. What's wrong with the post?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Drummerboy

I think this is the best team Dublin have ever produced. However they haven't earned the right to be called the best ever. As they are so young, they certainly have the potential to go on and be up there with the best Kerry and other counties have produced.

armaghniac

The Wexford 4 in a row team would laugh at this claim, and they didn't have millions spent on them. We'll see if Dublin can beat Mayo by 11 points in the final as Wexford did.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

crossfire

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 09, 2014, 09:36:42 PM
Can't see anyone stopping them for the next few years.

Best ever ?

Sure they've only won one in a row like ourselves. ;D

J OGorman

Quote from: Johnnybegood on August 10, 2014, 08:20:05 PM

Johnny, you must understand that the position Dublin are currently in, the resources etc, all the pluses in their favour means that any team with an outside dream of landing the big fish have been pushed beyond being anywhere near attainable and it will irk. Let some guys let off a little steam
In saying that, Derry will win Sam sometime in the future ;-)

INDIANA

especially when you waste your money building buses

ck

Dublin are potentially the best team ever but it's still only potential. A best team ever will be judged over a period of at least 5 years and All-Irelands won in that period. Hammering teams in Leinster doesn't equate to best team ever.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2014, 10:02:04 PM

especially when you waste your money building buses

You can say what you like but don't disrespect the bus.

Wildweasel74

As i said on another thread here, greatness beckons, and if they win this year that be 3 in 4yrs, but they got a fair way to go yet to eclipse the Kerry teams of the early 80`s, they can do it and dare i said possible do 4 in a row but Donegal will be tough to crack plus Mayo will be biting at the bullet if they overcome Kerry. Kilkenny of a few yrs ago was the greatest hurling team i had ever seen clocking in something like 8 all-irelands in 10-11yrs but even they coudlnt manage a fabled 5 in a row and they were extra special

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Sidney on August 09, 2014, 11:28:24 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 09, 2014, 11:16:24 PM
How many O'Byrne Cups have they won?
This is a particularly raw spot. Don't pick at it.

It's all well and good doing it in front of 83,000 on a sunny day in Croker in September.
Cold January day in Newbridge, and they don't want to know.

smort

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 11, 2014, 10:19:37 AM
It's all well and good doing it in front of 83,000 on a sunny day in Croker in September.

This is actually true enough. I would love to see them play more games outside of Croke Park (I know there is another thread on this). They can be abysmal at times away from home in the league. I wouldn't call them the best team ever after watching them against Derry up in Celtic Park.

Yes, they are mightily impressive alright but have a way to go before they can be called the best team ever.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 11, 2014, 10:19:37 AM

In fairness, the great Kerry team didn't always put on show in the league either, I recall Armagh beating them.

But a team that plays all their championship games at home can hardly be called great.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B