Are Dublin the best team ever ?

Started by Saffrongael, August 09, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on August 11, 2014, 02:25:20 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 01:08:01 PM
It's ok for Kilkenny to make no effort to promote football and be allowed to dominate hurling because of it but Dublin should be hammered for getting their house in order at underage level.

It's truly laughable. You know I listened to a lot of Armagh people between 2000 and 2010 telling me all that was wrong with Dublin football and then when we actually do as suggested some if them use it as a stick to beat us with.

Comedy .

What's laughable is that you're well able to have a pop at other counties but you can't even bring yourself to mention the main reason why people are calling for Dubl$n to be split.
By "getting their house in order at underage level" you mean Dubl$n got millions of euro to get their house in order at underage level.
The comedy will be your reply that will avoid the money issue once more.  ;D
they were obviously entitled to get money if the powers that be gave it to them?
Maybe you should set aside your call to split Dublin and instead call for a change in the associations structure.

Fuzzman

One problem on here imho is that there is a lot of posters who don't speak their minds for one reason or another. Too many who do have strong opinions on the Dublin problem and whether or not you want to admit it, it really is a problem.
Many people I think, if they knew the facts (and I'm not saying I do know them all) would also have to agree a lot with Don't matter. The problem is many of you see him(or her) as being OTT and embarrassing and so want to dis-associate yourselves from him and his opinions. If you were totally paranoid about the issue you could say it it a Dublin spin doctor creating this shit storm themselves but lets not go there.
I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he/she says to be honest and I'd like to ask him and others what facts about Dublin can we agree on? For example
All their championship games get played at home which one section of the ground is more or less totally dominated by home fans and other fans made feel VERY uncomfortable by them singing Hill 16 is Dublin ONLY.
When the other teams are shooting into that side there is a very unfair disadvantage and when the other team get free kicks there is constant booing before they hit it.
Some may laugh at this and say catch yourself on Fuzz but often matches have been lost because of this.
Imagine if Dublin had to play Donegal up in Ballybofey this coming Sunday after a 6 day turnaround and only 2000 fans were allowed to come. How would ye feel? Hmmmm....

OK next fact? A controversial one for sure
AIG sponsored Dublin this year for how much? DO we know?
How does this compare with other counties like say Kerry, Cork, Donegal?

Do we know for sure how much Dublin got for other grants or sponsorship?

Rather than shy away from this topic I'd rather some of the more established respected posters on here comment and discuss it for real rather than sit quiet in case they would upset their fellow Dub posters?

As I've said on another thread.
I've taken some of my kids (and their cousins) to 4 Dublin matches in Croke park this year. They have annihilated the other team by half time. They have played amazing football and really have moved onto a higher plain. I can see how the Dub fans must be loving it. I would if it was Tyrone.
Some will say fair play to them for finally getting their house in order as for years they have had the population and home venue but lack of organisation and other reasons they struggled to win Sam.
Surely though if you look at the facts that we can agree on then their dominance is going to ruin the competition for the years to come.
It's like Chelsea and Man City taking over and having so much money that they even buy the good players that they don't even need to just stop their competitors getting them.

I was saying to my mates on Sat night that I predict that they will win every game this year by at least 10 points and do so with style and flair and hard work. Great for Dubs
Boring for the rest of the country.
People will stop watching it and move to different sports
The rich will get richer and the poor lose interest.

As I was saying if you're a good player now in a county like Donegal or Down at 17. You are offered a professional contract to play in Australia and off you go as there is not much work or other reasons to stay about.
Look at Kilkenny and Jack McCaffrey. Both offered contracts to go but neither did.

Don't matter might talk some shite some times and go about it all the wrong way and annoy a lot of us but it's hard to deny that Dublin sure have a lot of things going their way and I've not even mentioned RTE or the media yet.

One of the questions I asked my mates on Sat night was
"Will you be happy beating Donegal by 12 points and then beating Kerry or Mayo by 20 in the final"
Of course they will. But will our amazing championship competition be ruined for ever.
It's the one thing I always missed when I lived out of Ireland. The excitement of the big games and going to matches with butterflies in my stomach

I watched the Armagh & Donegal fans in the last 5 mins of their game on Sunday. The passion and fear in their faces. The excitement when they scored goals. The nervousness of not know was this your last day in Croker with your team. You can't beat being there slogan is so true to me.
Unless you're watching the Dubs. They know who's gonna win before they come
They don't have those feelings of passion and excitement
For 15-20 mins on Sat they were beginning to wonder but alas they could go back into the bar and watch it on the wee tv.

It's a fucked up world that me a Tyrone man is praying Kerry can come through and give us hope but alas I'm fooling myself. Dubs are MILES AHEAD with AIG firmly behind them.

Zulu

This is getting tiresome and it really is a really weird reaction to brilliance. We have a truly brilliant team in Gaelic football and the reaction by some is to wonder how we can make them worse, not how can the rest of us get better.

Dublin play in Croke Park because they have a support base that warrants it and we all gain from the money they bring in. If the GAA decide to fix Dublin v Wexford down in Wexford then nobody in Dublin will complain but there might be a little bit less money to go around in grant aid.

QuoteSome may laugh at this and say catch yourself on Fuzz but often matches have been lost because of this.

What matches were lost due booing on hill 16, you said many please give me 3 of them?

QuoteOK next fact? A controversial one for sure

No facts provided by you yet but lets leave that one go for now. I'm pretty sure the AIG sponsorship is known, in fact we know more about it than any of the other counties sponsorship deals you mentioned. I've heard figures for the AIG deal,  €1 million per year, but I've never heard any figures for the other counties mentioned. €1 million per year for a county with a population of 1 million is proportional to a €100,000 for a county with a population of 100,000 and I would say some counties, Tyrone for example, would compare favourably with Dublin on that scale.

QuoteAs I've said on another thread.
I've taken some of my kids (and their cousins) to 4 Dublin matches in Croke park this year. They have annihilated the other team by half time. They have played amazing football and really have moved onto a higher plain. I can see how the Dub fans must be loving it. I would if it was Tyrone.
Some will say fair play to them for finally getting their house in order as for years they have had the population and home venue but lack of organisation and other reasons they struggled to win Sam.
Surely though if you look at the facts that we can agree on then their dominance is going to ruin the competition for the years to come.
It's like Chelsea and Man City taking over and having so much money that they even buy the good players that they don't even need to just stop their competitors getting them.

So, what's your solution? Inhibit our strongest county so the rest of us can compete? Did you make the same point when Tyrone got their act together? Why should Dublin not maximise their potential when Tyrone didn't give a flying.. for the Leitrim's, Fermanagh's or Carlow's of this world when they started to maximise their full potential?

QuoteI was saying to my mates on Sat night that I predict that they will win every game this year by at least 10 points and do so with style and flair and hard work. Great for Dubs

Nonsense. We didn't stop watching when Kerry dominated in the 70's and 80's, basketball grew despite the Celtic's. Lakers and Bull's all having periods of dominance, I haven't noticed a drop off in soccer attendances in England despite most of the clubs having no chance of ever winning a premiership title, Christ the Scots (and Irish) still go to Celtic games despite it being the most non-competitive,bone useless league in the history of world sports.

QuoteAs I was saying if you're a good player now in a county like Donegal or Down at 17. You are offered a professional contract to play in Australia and off you go as there is not much work or other reasons to stay about.
Look at Kilkenny and Jack McCaffrey. Both offered contracts to go but neither did.

Kilkenny went and like Shields, Murphy and Heslin before him he came back. That'd be Murphy and Heslin of the superpowers Carlow and Westmeath by the way. Never heard Caffrey was offered a contract but as he studies medicine he may have felt the risk wasn't worth taking.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on August 11, 2014, 02:25:20 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 01:08:01 PM
It's ok for Kilkenny to make no effort to promote football and be allowed to dominate hurling because of it but Dublin should be hammered for getting their house in order at underage level.

It's truly laughable. You know I listened to a lot of Armagh people between 2000 and 2010 telling me all that was wrong with Dublin football and then when we actually do as suggested some if them use it as a stick to beat us with.

Comedy .

What's laughable is that you're well able to have a pop at other counties but you can't even bring yourself to mention the main reason why people are calling for Dubl$n to be split.
By "getting their house in order at underage level" you mean Dubl$n got millions of euro to get their house in order at underage level.
The comedy will be your reply that will avoid the money issue once more.  ;D

I haven't avoided the issue. You're the one who continually refused to answer anything put in front if you .

Dublin went with a plan to the Gaa and got the funding for it. Nobody denies that.

The 2011 success had nothing to do with funding as the majority of the players on it came from a different era.

For all the talk of expert sports science as we saw at the weekend we only got Fergus Connolly because Monaghan didn't return his phone call.

Again why should Kilkenny be allowed to fully resource their hurling teams with all available funding joke ignoring football as it's a key factor on why they've ruled the roost at hurling for the last 50 years.

We don't waste our money on waste of time outside managers when the reality is every county has management of requisite standard within their own county boundaries.

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2014, 02:56:44 PM
One problem on here imho is that there is a lot of posters who don't speak their minds for one reason or another. Too many who do have strong opinions on the Dublin problem and whether or not you want to admit it, it really is a problem.
Many people I think, if they knew the facts (and I'm not saying I do know them all) would also have to agree a lot with Don't matter. The problem is many of you see him(or her) as being OTT and embarrassing and so want to dis-associate yourselves from him and his opinions. If you were totally paranoid about the issue you could say it it a Dublin spin doctor creating this shit storm themselves but lets not go there.
I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he/she says to be honest and I'd like to ask him and others what facts about Dublin can we agree on? For example
All their championship games get played at home which one section of the ground is more or less totally dominated by home fans and other fans made feel VERY uncomfortable by them singing Hill 16 is Dublin ONLY.
When the other teams are shooting into that side there is a very unfair disadvantage and when the other team get free kicks there is constant booing before they hit it.
Some may laugh at this and say catch yourself on Fuzz but often matches have been lost because of this.
Imagine if Dublin had to play Donegal up in Ballybofey this coming Sunday after a 6 day turnaround and only 2000 fans were allowed to come. How would ye feel? Hmmmm....

OK next fact? A controversial one for sure

Do we know for sure how much Dublin got for other grants or sponsorship?

Rather than shy away from this topic I'd rather some of the more established respected posters on here comment and discuss it for real rather than sit quiet in case they would upset their fellow Dub posters?

As I've said on another thread.

I was saying to my mates on Sat night that I predict that they will win every game this year by at least 10 points and do so with style and flair and hard work. Great for Dubs

As I was saying if you're a good player now in a county like Donegal or Down at 17. You are offered a professional contract to play in Australia and off you go as there is not much work or other reasons to stay about.

Don't matter might talk some shite some times and go about it all the wrong way and annoy a lot of us but it's hard to deny that Dublin sure have a lot of things going their way and I've not even mentioned RTE or the media yet.

One of the questions I asked my mates on Sat night was
"Will you be happy beating Donegal by 12 points and then beating Kerry or Mayo by 20 in the final"
Of course they will. But will our amazing championship competition be ruined for ever.
It's the one thing I always missed when I lived out of Ireland. The excitement of the big games and going to matches with butterflies in my stomach

I watched the Armagh & Donegal fans in the last 5 mins of their game on Sunday. The passion and fear in their faces. The excitement when they scored goals. The nervousness of not know was this your last day in Croker with your team. You can't beat being there slogan is so true to me.
Unless you're watching the Dubs. They know who's gonna win before they come
They don't have those feelings of passion and excitement
For 15-20 mins on Sat they were beginning to wonder but alas they could go back into the bar and watch it on the wee tv.

It's a fucked up world that me a Tyrone man is praying Kerry can come through and give us hope but alas I'm fooling myself. Dubs are MILES AHEAD with AIG firmly behind them.

I'd take your post more seriously if I wasn't aware of the monies that are available to certain ulster counties for their senior teams. For example Armagh havent a pot to piss in. Tyrone and Donegal have huge financial resources behind their senior football teams easily within reach of what Dublin spend on an annual basis.

Far more then the likes if Cork who play second fiddle to their hurlers in terms of resources allocated. So it's laughable to hear these same posters who query dublins financial arrangements while deflecting from their own !

Armagh haven't a pot to piss in for a few specific reasons. And of any of their posters who are in the know they'll know why.

Tyrone were able to build a 7m sterling training facility . Dublin haven't got one. That's nearly 10 million euros . An outrageous sum in GAA circles.

It's not dublins fault Tyrone's structures at u21 level are an absolute shambles.

If we don't win this year id like to see mayo do it because by and large their supporters don't whinge half as much as the nordies who think they have a divine right to dine at the top table.

Mayo have another excellent minor team this year that didn't need 2m quid to develop.

This is despite some of them like Tyrone having huge financial muscle behind them. That's because it's not all about money. Yeah it helps but not if you spend it badly like some counties do.

Dublin spent 1.5m on 2 minor all Ireland appearances, an all Ireland senior hurling semi final appearance, an all Ireland senior  football appearance and a ladies team that reached the all Ireland semi final.

Donegal spent 900k in 2012. Considering they have a tiny hurling pocket , no minor or u21 success that year I don't know how any of you can justify to me that there aren't counties out there with the same financial muscle.

Fuzzman

Zulu, do you think it's any advantage to the Dublin team to play teams at home?
Are you trying to tell me that you disagree that in tight games where other teams have missed normally kickable frees that Dublin being at home with a hugely partisan support doesn't make any difference

I don't think it would matter much now but would answer this VERY simple question.
Do you think Dublin would beat Donegal by as much if the game was in Ballybofey with 90% of the crowd being Donegal fans?

rodney trotter

Kilkenny did go to to the AFL, but was there 3 months with Hawthron before returning home.
McCaffrey was asked to to trials but didnt go

Cream of the crop attend Aussie Rules trials
13 February 2013

Cormac Costello (Dublin), Daniel Flynn (Kildare) and Damien Cahalane (Cork) are just some of the young GAA stars who are attending Tadhg Kennelly's Australian Rules trials at DCU this week.

The cream of the country's young gaelic footballers are being put through their paces by the AFL's International Ambassador.

Dublin pair Eric Lowndes and Shane Carthy were also at the trials which are taking place over yesterday and today.

Paddy Brophy is another emerging Kildare talent attending along with Armagh's Ethan Rafferty and Antrim's James Lavery.

Meanwhile, rising Dublin star Jack McCaffrey turned down a fresh approach from Kennelly to attend the trials.

Kennelly told The Irish Daily Star: "Jack came last year, we saw a lot of potential in him and it's his preference (not to go further). Jack McCaffrey ran a 2.8 for a 20-metre sprint. It blows them out of the water in Australia straight away.

"It's a thing that clubs can look at and say 'there is freaky talent in Ireland. They're not just footballers, they're athletes as well'.

"It's not just Gaelic footballers we're looking for."

Galway's Shane Walsh and Kerry's Padraig Lucey are exciting basketball prospects while English rugby international Cameron Cope is also attending the trials.

AFL trialists - Cormac Costello, Gavin Burke, Shane Carthy, Eric Lowndes, Niall Scully (all Dublin); Paddy Brophy, Daniel Flynn (both Kildare), Damien Cahalane (Cork); Bill Maher, Philip Quirke, Steven O'Brien (all Tipperary); James Laverty (Antrim); Conor Carville, Niall Grimley (both Derry); Shane Walsh (Galway); Ronan Daly (Roscommon); Che Cullen, Lee Cullen (both Fermanagh); Adam Gallagher (Mayo); Ethan Rafferty (Armagh); Hugh McFadden (Donegal); Padraig Lucey (Kerry); Cameron Cope (Wolverhampton); G Leech (Westmeath).

But a number of Dubs were mentioned above and none went only Kilkenny and that was before those trails, what was the story there?. Kildare lost Daniel Flynn, Paul Cribbin before that, and Paddy Brophy more then likely will be gone at the end of the year too.  Sean Hurley had trials so he could be gone too

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2014, 04:37:30 PM
Zulu, do you think it's any advantage to the Dublin team to play teams at home?
Are you trying to tell me that you disagree that in tight games where other teams have missed normally kickable frees that Dublin being at home with a hugely partisan support doesn't make any difference

I don't think it would matter much now but would answer this VERY simple question.
Do you think Dublin would beat Donegal by as much if the game was in Ballybofey with 90% of the crowd being Donegal fans?

Was it not your lads such as Mulligan, MC Guigan and McGinley that it used to inspire them playing against Dublin in a packed Croke Park and scoring into the Hill only to silence them ?????

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 11, 2014, 04:45:35 PM
Kilkenny did go to to the AFL, but was there 3 months with Hawthron before returning home.

13 February 2013

Cormac Costello (Dublin), Daniel Flynn (Kildare) and Damien Cahalane (Cork) are just some of the young GAA stars who are attending Tadhg Kennelly's Australian Rules trials at DCU this week.

The cream of the country's young gaelic footballers are being put through their paces by the AFL's International Ambassador.

Dublin pair Eric Lowndes and Shane Carthy were also at the trials which are taking place over yesterday and today.

Paddy Brophy is another emerging Kildare talent attending along with Armagh's Ethan Rafferty and Antrim's James Lavery.

Meanwhile, rising Dublin star Jack McCaffrey turned down a fresh approach from Kennelly to attend the trials.

Kennelly told The Irish Daily Star: "Jack came last year, we saw a lot of potential in him and it's his preference (not to go further). Jack McCaffrey ran a 2.8 for a 20-metre sprint. It blows them out of the water in Australia straight away.

"It's a thing that clubs can look at and say 'there is freaky talent in Ireland. They're not just footballers, they're athletes as well'.

Galway's Shane Walsh and Kerry's Padraig Lucey are exciting basketball prospects while English rugby international Cameron Cope is also attending the trials.

AFL trialists - Cormac Costello, Gavin Burke, Shane Carthy, Eric Lowndes, Niall Scully (all Dublin); Paddy Brophy, Daniel Flynn (both Kildare), Damien Cahalane (Cork); Bill Maher, Philip Quirke, Steven O'Brien (all Tipperary); James Laverty (Antrim); Conor Carville, Niall Grimley (both Derry); Shane Walsh (Galway); Ronan Daly (Roscommon); Che Cullen, Lee Cullen (both Fermanagh); Adam Gallagher (Mayo); Ethan Rafferty (Armagh); Hugh McFadden (Donegal); Padraig Lucey (Kerry); Cameron Cope (Wolverhampton); G Leech (Westmeath).

But a number of Dubs were mentioned above and none went only Kilkenny and that was before those trails, what was the story there?. Kildare lost Daniel Flynn, Paul Cribbin before that, and Paddy Brophy more then likely will be gone at the end of the year too.

Jack is studying to be a doctor, maybe thats were his passion resides, not all aspire to play a game that is boxing with football thrown in

Jell 0 Biafra

There have been plenty of Dublin games over the years I knew we weren't going to win (Kerry, Tyrone, Meath); went anyway.  It hurts when you get beat out the gate (vs. Tyrone, Kerry), but you don't stop going to the games.

We're beating teams by those scorelines now, but it won't last forever, no more than your own county's success did.   And it's not like we're beating everyone by those scorelines either.  Mayo by a point last year, Kerry still in with a chance in the semi until injury time; Kerry by a point in 2011.

rodney trotter

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 11, 2014, 04:49:37 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 11, 2014, 04:45:35 PM

13 February 2013

But a number of Dubs were mentioned above and none went only Kilkenny and that was before those trails, what was the story there?. Kildare lost Daniel Flynn, Paul Cribbin before that, and Paddy Brophy more then likely will be gone at the end of the year too.

Jack is studying to be a doctor, maybe thats were his passion resides, not all aspire to play a game that is boxing with football thrown in

I know that, he is in UCD, there was 5 other Dubs on the list - that'S who i was referring too

Zulu

They are not playing at home, Croke Park is where All Ireland semi finals and finals are played. They are the only county that regularly bring a crowd big enough to open all of the hill. Look Tyrone have advantages over Fermanagh, unfair built in advantages, the daft provincial system means counties like Mayo, Kerry and Cork have massive competitive advantages over the Ulster and Leinster counties so to pick out Dublin's advantages is nonsense. It is what it is and I'm delighted to see Dublin push the boundaries of football in such a refreshing way. I hope Mayo win the All Ireland this year but if they don't then I hope Dublin do. In fact as long as they play football the way they are I don't think they can win enough. Hopefully it will be the stimulus to challenge conventional thinking in other counties and they will start to see the advantages of a more open attacking brand of football.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 11, 2014, 04:50:13 PM
There have been plenty of Dublin games over the years I knew we weren't going to win (Kerry, Tyrone, Meath); went anyway.  It hurts when you get beat out the gate (vs. Tyrone, Kerry), but you don't stop going to the games.

We're beating teams by those scorelines now, but it won't last forever, no more than your own county's success did.   And it's not like we're beating everyone by those scorelines either.  Mayo by a point last year, Kerry still in with a chance in the semi until injury time; Kerry by a point in 2011.

+ 1.......................................who would rate Laois, Wexford, Meath and Monaghan as All Ireland contenders a couple of Months ago ???

Brick Tamlin

Some quare bullshit posted in these last few pages.
A lot of boys on here need reminding that there are 4 teams still left in the championship.
Dublin haven't won this year's title yet. I eat my hat if they win any more games by 10+ pts.

I think counties and managers should be looking at how to make themselves better and get up to Dublin's level rather than lambasting them for being the standard bearers at the minute. Yes they have untold resources in terms of finances and personnel, but sure aren't they the capital of the country ffs and behind Kerry they would be the most easily marketable team in terms of media and advertising. If I owned AIG or Vodafone I wouldn't wanna be sponsoring Down or Kildare, id want my money pumped in somewhere where it makes sense.
Maybe they do have an unfair advantage, but its not entirely of their own making. They have gotten their house in order after admittedly being mediocre in a few previous seasons and fair play to them. At least they don't play oul negative schite-fest football and can entertain. If yer county gets bate out the gate the tough shite, get the structures in place, get working on it at grassroots and build to aspire to be as good as Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, whoever.

Fuzzman

Indi
Some of the money they Ulster teams get from grants and from the GAA of course but you'll find that most is collected from within with huge fundraising going on constantly.

There's not many big companies like AIG, Vodafone or Arnotts coming in offering millions each year. As Dublin is the capital it has the largest population and has RTE as it's hub as well as lots of radio stations and newspapers. Naturally enough then there is more scope for advertising and companies getting more back from using the Dubs for advertising. I'm not saying this is not fair but am saying here is another balance

Likewise there are lots of sports amenities already built in Dublin such as DCU and so there is not the same need for Dublin GAA to go building their own facilities as it's already there for free.

Re my point of watching the games.
How do you feel that you will more than likely retain Sam this year without one interesting exciting game. Is that what you want or would you rather have tough close games where you're heart is thumping in your chest.
Are you happy to be surrounded by Dubs at every match and nobody else to challenge you? Is that not boring for you?
When Kerry were dominating in the 70's where they winning each match by 15+ points?

Yes Squire you can see that when you win but you know as well as me that the Hill puts off more teams that it inspires don't you think?
Have you ever played an away game where the crowd are all shouting at ya? Did it inspire you or put you off?
What do you think of those in the Hill shouting at other Irish men to get the F**K out of their Hill? Is it fair enough?
Teaching their kids this is Dublin only and the rest are sheep sha&&ers

I love living in Dublin and was delighted when they won Sam in 2011 for my now deceased father in law but all I'm asking ye lot is do you agree you have a lot of unfair advantages.

Would ye be happy to play Kerry down in Killarney this year?

Of course it's never gonna happen but I'm making the point that is a HUGE advantage that yis just cant sweep under the carpet as if it's a myth.

Ahh Zulu there you've made it easy for me now
So Croke park isn't your home patch again.
What county is it in?
Where will 70% of the fans be from v Donegal?
Man ye might have made some impression on me with some arguments but jaysus if you can't even admit the Croke park advantage then I won't take you as a "serious balanced poster"
What age are you?
Is this you?

Brick buy yourself 2 more hats
Did you see Donegal v Armagh.
Did you see McFadden struggle again.

On top of that Dublin have been cruising along until now and every game they've 4 or 5 shit hot forwards "chomping" at the bit to get on to show what they can do.
As I said on Sat night. If Dean Rock was from Donegal or even Kerry he'd be an all star by now.