Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 13, 2015, 11:06:03 PM
So the press interviews for the Antrim hurlers are given by - wait for it - drum roll - why if it ain't Neil McManus! How novel! Maybe we got relegated because we only have one player!
Now a team statement in support of Kevin Ryan - wonder who's idea this could have been?
What a shambles - players train and play and give loyalty to the jersey - making statements to the press is not part of their re-mit. Antrim all over the papers again - cheap column inches - one day maybe it will be good news.

i could be wrong but i think the manager stated after the match that he wanted to know if the players where still behind him. I get the feeling he wasn't sure.  He said if they weren't then he would walk. was there a press interview or just a statement released. who is the team captain if it is Mc Manus that's normal for him to speak on behalf of the players.

Do you want the players and management to disappear down some black hole or see where things are so they can fulfill the fixtures they are obliged to play

I don't know Mc manus and I never met Kevin Ryan but they must be very bad for the county the way there talked about on here

maybe the players and management read these pages- that would build a siege mentality and united front on any group

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

hurlingstick

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 13, 2015, 11:29:32 PM
So the press interviews for the Antrim hurlers are given by - wait for it - drum roll - why if it ain't Neil McManus! How novel! Maybe we got relegated because we only have one player!
Now a team statement in support of Kevin Ryan - wonder who's idea this could have been?
What a shambles - players train and play and give loyalty to the jersey - making statements to the press is not part of their re-mit. Antrim all over the papers again - cheap column inches - one day maybe it will be good news.

i could be wrong but i think the manager stated after the match that he wanted to know if the players where still behind him. I get the feeling he wasn't sure.  He said if they weren't then he would walk. was there a press interview or just a statement released. who is the team captain if it is Mc Manus that's normal for him to speak on behalf of the players.

Do you want the players and management to disappear down some black hole or see where things are so they can fulfill the fixtures they are obliged to play

I don't know Mc manus and I never met Kevin Ryan but they must be very bad for the county the way there talked about on here

maybe the players and management read these pages- that would build a siege mentality and united front on any group

Well said NAH. No coincidence that most of the morons on here are the same morons who are constantly whining and repeating the same bullshit. btgtt, I'm surprised at as he is usually more subjective with balanced, reasonable points.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: hurlingstick on April 13, 2015, 11:35:44 PM

Well said NAH. No coincidence that most of the morons on here are the same morons who are constantly whining and repeating the same bullshit. btgtt, I'm surprised at as he is usually more subjective with balanced, reasonable points.

very disappointing to be playing in div 2 and the results of late but more disappointing is some of the negative dribble on here with no substance to it or no meaningful  alternative
the saying ,,If your not part of the solution then your part off the problem,, resonates strongly this last few days
Hope the manager and players get something out of this summer for sticking together when everything is trying to pull them apart
Saffrons Abu

Gizzy15

So let me get this straight. If you agree that no one is to blame and hope for a good summer each year, you are allowed an opinion.

But if you disagree and believe in things like the irony of players who have under performed giving the manager a vote of confidence, is dribble..and I'm a moron and that I'm part of the problem as I have not put forward a solution.

If that's the way people want to go about it you shouldn't be on an anonymous forum. Or better still for some of you guys on your key boards calling people keyboard warriors. Let it be known who you are and what your role has been, is and will be in the future to solve this issue that is Antrim Hurling. I would not read this or go on the county web site if I didn't care about antrim hurling. But I do care and am still allowed my opinion.

theskull1

Saying that we are where we are because of an inability to develop players with the required skills and commitment (for countless years on end) is not saying no one is to blame you fool

Its saying we are where we are not because of KR but because the coaching population isnt big enough, knowledgeable enough and isn't supported well enough to develop and deliver players with the right attributes to compete properly. Why is it any surprise that players arrive at senior IC level in this county struggling to compete with Div1 hurling? Could someone explain that to me?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Gizzy15 on April 14, 2015, 12:23:18 AM
So let me get this straight. If you agree that no one is to blame and hope for a good summer each year, you are allowed an opinion.

But if you disagree and believe in things like the irony of players who have under performed giving the manager a vote of confidence, is dribble..and I'm a moron and that I'm part of the problem as I have not put forward a solution.

If that's the way people want to go about it you shouldn't be on an anonymous forum. Or better still for some of you guys on your key boards calling people keyboard warriors. Let it be known who you are and what your role has been, is and will be in the future to solve this issue that is Antrim Hurling. I would not read this or go on the county web site if I didn't care about antrim hurling. But I do care and am still allowed my opinion.

of course you are entitled to you opinion, but your tail wagging the dog statement is laughable as Ryan asked the players to meet and decide if they wanted him to continue. if those players under performed they are still antrim county panelist and that's why they where asked.
i never once called you a moron or a keyboard warrior ( stupid characterization anyway ) but I think what you said is dribble
sorry but you typed it and i mm  entitled to my opinion on it

Gizzy15

Quote from: theskull1 on April 14, 2015, 12:44:11 AM
Saying that we are where we are because of an inability to develop players with the required skills and commitment (for countless years on end) is not saying no one is to blame you fool

Its saying we are where we are not because of KR but because the coaching population isnt big enough, knowledgeable enough and isn't supported well enough to develop and deliver players with the right attributes to compete properly. Why is it any surprise that players arrive at senior IC level in this county struggling to compete with Div1 hurling? Could someone explain that to me?

Again you assume to know me, I'm a fool and you are the shining light. Look I have no axe to grind with any players and esp not the manager. It's a massive committment and no one would give up their time and bucket loads of energy to put in a bad shift. I do have a gripe though with our county board and some of the previous ones.

When we do up strategic development plans every 4/5years all the focus goes on facilities and the likes but it's all a side show. I agree that these things are lovely but won't bring you success just because they are built. What is the last concerted strategic effort you have seen from the ground up to change anything that needs changed. Ie massive development of coaches for the development squads. And I do mean development of coaches. Instead of paying expenses to a couple of senior coaches for 3 years why not bring up 4/5 of the best development coaches for 6 or 7 weeks fri/sat/sun sessions with our development squad coaches and a coach that has been put forward by each club to the bring back all the info and processes back into the club.

I agree with you we need to put time n effort into developing our own coaches. 1person coaching 40 seniors the best ways to do things and the best attitude to have vs 30 coaches coaching 1000 children all the same things but from an early age. I know which one will last longer and which one is a quick fix or not as the case may sometimes be. Our county pays lip service to the development squad structure and most on county board couldn't give a flying fcuk how the develop it's no use to them if they are successful in 9 years time as they will no longer be on the county board but a chance to be the one who built Dunsilly or Casement and the photo opps /job opps and hob nobbing. All the quick gains for personal gains.   I am no moron and am no fool and don't appreciate the name calling but I do think we need a strategy for proper coach development with proper measurable outcomes and aims n objectives not another strategy for how many 3G pitches we can get built

theskull1

Gizzy

Help me understand the link between the initial post I replied to last night regarding the players statement and your last post?

I called you a fool for the assertions you made regarding the player statement and KR letting the tail wag the dog and then assuming (strangely) by that I was implying that the blame lies with no one in this sorry mess. You're still happy with you earlier contributions I'm assuming and reckon they stand up to scrutiny? I'm trying to understand why you've moved the goalposts in your last post?

I've no issue with your last post btw and would 110% agree with your opinions around proper coaching and player development other than to bring you down to reality and say currently we dont have the numbers of interested adults (coaches/parents/financial support etc) to carry out what needs to be done to get standards up. That is the sorry reality
The ones who are interested can only achieve so much and should hardly be blamed for trying to do their best but ultimately not doing enough. I takes more people to give a flying f before change will come about.

Yours and others focus on KR and the county team ignores these realities.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gizzy15

Quote from: theskull1 on April 14, 2015, 08:00:13 AM
Gizzy

Help me understand the link between the initial post I replied to last night regarding the players statement and your last post?

I called you a fool for the assertions you made regarding the player statement and KR letting the tail wag the dog and then assuming (strangely) by that I was implying that the blame lies with no one in this sorry mess. You're still happy with you earlier contributions I'm assuming and reckon they stand up to scrutiny? I'm trying to understand why you've moved the goalposts in your last post?

I've no issue with your last post btw and would 110% agree with your opinions around proper coaching and player development other than to bring you down to reality and say currently we dont have the numbers of interested adults (coaches/parents/financial support etc) to carry out what needs to be done to get standards up. That is the sorry reality
The ones who are interested can only achieve so much and should hardly be blamed for trying to do their best but ultimately not doing enough. I takes more people to give a flying f before change will come about.

Yours and others focus on KR and the county team ignores these realities.

not all the responses were to you. one said that if you were not part of the solution you are part of the problem so I was putting forward potential solutions. I do stand by my first post. what I meant by it was that for quite a few guys its too comfortable a role its known that a core group have influence on who will be asked to be manager then have some influence over the manager and when performances are not up to scratch ultimately decide the future of the manager (although you were right that the manager asked if he had backing in this case). I just think it (the scrutiny) should go both ways and all players (great or not so great) should be looking over their shoulder when it goes so bad. some of the best managers are not loved as to get the best from a group players sometimes have to be pushed outside their comfort zone and go above and beyond the normal lines of duty. its usually in hindsight a good manager is realised or when he wins something unexpected. I have no issues with the manager and think he has put an awful lot of time and effort into the current group of players I just think in my opinion the set up we have in this county its just a bit too comfortable for some. its only an opinion and should be treated as such.

Na Glinntí Glasa

there's a serious amount of people obsessed with NMcM on this forum. Its a tad disturbing and sad.

This forum should be renamed the national enquirer where people can come on and post more and more crazy reasons and scenarios as to whos to blame antrim are where they are.

Simple truth is that we arent good enough. Its not any single persons fault or some crazy one single club running the county conspiracy crap.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: hurlingstick on April 13, 2015, 11:35:44 PM

I've already said that making KR a scapegoat here is nonsense - and we didn't need a players statement to know they are part of the problem.
We're not good enough for the top table - I have no problem with that - but we should be better than Kerry.

My point is straight-forward.
As an Antrim hurling supporter I would occaisionally like to read an article from someone other than Neil McManus. How much ahve we heard from any other player in the last number of years? From what I've seen Paul Shiels is a serious quality hurler, purely as a supporter, I would like to know more from him and others. That's something easily fixed from within the Antrim camp.

For a hurling perspective, I don't think it's healthy that the panel can be seen by some as a one-man band. The fact is that all aroung the county we are all aware of how McManus is a dominant figure int his squad - and in Antrim hurling in general. I'm sorry but that's just not healthy. Can we compare any other county with such prominance for one-man? If it's media interviews, photo-shoots or double-jobbing between playing and Under21 selector?
I've never met him, I'm sure he's a grand fella, but he's way to much to the fore of all thing Antirm hurling for that not be the case in the set-up itself. This is not healthy for the other players or the team as a whole.

As I said, I don't make Ryan or McMAnus a scapegoat - there's serveral factors. I think most posters agree - just becuase we mention management etc doesn't mean we're lumping the blame there. This is not soccer where we hire and fire mangers on results.

But I will say this.
KR has a vested interest in keeping our county job. Money. So let's not be surprised that he or any other salaried official might do what it takes to keep their job. Personally I'm not sure it's the best use of our limited financial resources. Neil McManus would obviously like KR to stay on also - he enjoys a priviledged position in the squad. Add these two things up and the result if a media statement. I would prefer our players to be hurling rather than expressing oyalty to the manager (which should be a given) and accepting a responsibilty for losing (which is obviosu).

And now my real crux of the matter?
Was it for all this that we have allowed our club scene to be decimated?
Stop this madness.
Let's accept our county's position for what it is - and build a proper club scene to produce more and better players.
We have tried it this way - it clearly has not worked.
Why perisist?
The County Exective / County Board need to lead this back to clubs running fixtures etc.

And just for clarity - again - I do not scapegoat Kevin Ryan or Neil McManus!

Two Hands FFS

You don't blame McManus...but you've just talked about him for 3 paragraphs. Cool

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on April 14, 2015, 11:14:08 AM
You don't blame McManus...but you've just talked about him for 3 paragraphs. Cool

Very good

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 14, 2015, 11:31:17 AM

Very good

Yeah thats right. Just because I talked about him doesn't mean I hold him single-handedly to account for our relegation.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 14, 2015, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 14, 2015, 11:31:17 AM

Very good

Yeah thats right. Just because I talked about him doesn't mean I hold him single-handedly to account for our relegation.
No one said you did
He is in the back of the irish news today
'' the teams critics has nothing else to offer''
You mentioned shorty and other players sharing press duties well that's up to journalist to call them
I can't invisage a dervert all calls to mc manus network
Maybe the press should phone you instead