Connacht Club Championships 2016

Started by revsperminute, October 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Congrats to Corofin. Deserved winners.

Extra time against a serious team, was always going to be a big ask.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 13, 2016, 04:06:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2016, 03:58:54 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2016, 03:47:40 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 13, 2016, 03:34:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 13, 2016, 03:07:26 PM
Hope there isn't extra time. I don t think I could suffer more of this. Awful crap sport when played like this.
It'd be one thing if I had an interest in either side playing, but am fed up with these two and Brigid's perennially being in the Connacht club. The wonderful novelty that the club championships often provide isn't happening out west at the minute, it's as predictable as the inter county scene.
In fairness this Castlebar side only "arrived" in 2013 when they won their first senior county and provincial titles for years and years.

Looks like they're going away.

What Brigids and Corofin have done, country clubs that have stayed at the top of the provincial for a decade or so, is incredible. The turnover of players in that period is what makes it special, there's only a few survivors of the 2006 Connacht final between the sides. Mitchels have so many advantages they're not really in the same conversation as the other two.

Hell of a game in store in Carrick in two weeks.
It's not like either are tiny wee half-parish clubs though.

Clann na nGael are a half parish club, actually. And they're massive. Parish size isn't a good metric to use for club size these days.

Neither Corofin or Brigids have massive picks even in their counties - in Roscommon there's at least four clubs with better areas to pick from. These aren't Dublin superclubs or big town clubs like Mitchels or Dr. Crokes.

Just well run clubs that built from underage up - Brigids have ran the table at underage in the county this year so even when the old stagers hang up the boots they will still be making regular appearences at provincial level.

Maroon Manc

Corofin will be disappointed with their 2nd half performance although they'd have been well ahead at HT only for the ref.

I thought the ref was appalling, giving frees to both teams they didn't deserve although Castlebar were certainly the main beneficiaries from him.

Douglas will be very disappointed with his performance today, he did kick 2 great scores but he missed another 4 or 5 that you'd expect a player with aspirations playing for Mayo to convert. Ian Burke kicked some great scores and probably deserved the man of the match award.

Cunny Funt

Looking at their club honours Brigids won their first county minor title this autumn for 11 years and they haven't won a U21 title for 7 years and counting. They very much rely on their 30 year olds and one of them Ian Kilbride will miss the Connacht final.

Corofin are the younger,fresher and look the more hungry side plus they don't have to play Brigids in Roscommon.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2016, 04:30:43 PM
Looking at their club honours Brigids won their first county minor title this autumn for 11 years and they haven't won a U21 title for 7 years and counting. They very much rely on their 30 year olds and one of them Ian Kilbride will miss the Connacht final.

Corofin are the younger,fresher and look the more hungry side plus they don't have to play Brigids in Roscommon.

Their minors won the county title after a break this year. Every other grade they've won as well. The U20 championship is still ongoing - U21 finished a couple years ago.

Some of the best young players in the county play for Brigids, actually. If you don't know their names yet you'll probably find out soon enough.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2016, 04:38:19 PM

Their minors won the county title after a break this year. Every other grade they've won as well. The U20 championship is still ongoing - U21 finished a couple years ago.

Some of the best young players in the county play for Brigids, actually. If you don't know their names yet you'll probably find out soon enough.

Ya an 11 year break! A quick check told me the last U21 Roscommon championship was last December 2015. Clann na nGael won it. Research a little better before you post.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2016, 04:48:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2016, 04:38:19 PM

Ya an 11 year break! A quick check told me the last U21 Roscommon championship was last December 2015. Clann na nGael won it. Research a little better before you post.

This is actually the second season of U20. The last U21 was run in tandem so one group of lads didn't get fecked over. Maybe do your research?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2016, 04:16:53 PM
Hope there isn't extra time. I don t think I could suffer more of this. Awful crap sport when played like this.
It'd be one thing if I had an interest in either side playing, but am fed up with these two and Brigid's perennially being in the Connacht club. The wonderful novelty that the club championships often provide isn't happening out west at the minute, it's as predictable as the inter county scene.
In fairness this Castlebar side only "arrived" in 2013 when they won their first senior county and provincial titles for years and years.

What Brigids and Corofin have done, country clubs that have stayed at the top of the provincial for a decade or so, is incredible. The turnover of players in that period is what makes it special, there's only a few survivors of the 2006 Connacht final between the sides. Mitchels have so many advantages they're not really in the same conversation as the other two.

Clann na nGael are a half parish club, actually. And they're massive. Parish size isn't a good metric to use for club size these days.

Neither Corofin or Brigids have massive picks even in their counties - in Roscommon there's at least four clubs with better areas to pick from. These aren't Dublin superclubs or big town clubs like Mitchels or Dr. Crokes.

Just well run clubs that built from underage up - Brigids have ran the table at underage in the county this year so even when the old stagers hang up the boots they will still be making regular appearences at provincial level.
you are clueless. you really are.

St Brigids have a huge area to pick from, two full parishes, about 5 or 6 primary schools and there is a lot of housing down every road in St Brigids area. They pick all the way from Ganlys roundabout to within 3/4 miles of Lecarrow village
Go to Curraghboy or Brideswell and see the amount of houses built on country roads

Corofin is exactly the same. Might be rural, but there is a lot of housing there.

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 13, 2016, 05:56:13 PM

St Brigids have a huge area to pick from, two full parishes, about 5 or 6 primary schools and there is a lot of housing down every road in St Brigids area. They pick all the way from Ganlys roundabout to within 3/4 miles of Lecarrow village
Go to Curraghboy or Brideswell and see the amount of houses built on country roads

Corofin is exactly the same. Might be rural, but there is a lot of housing there.

Clann, Pearses, Ros Gaels and Castlerea all have bigger areas to grab from. Of the big three in the south Brigids are the most rural.

Alt accounts, I wonder? Touchy.

Rossfan

Ahhhhhh Delmonte don't be coming between Syfín and his one true love ( apart from. Mayowestros, Galway, Ballaghaderreen, McStay, Creggeretc etc)
There are more 18-35 year olds in rural St Brigid's than the decaying towns of Boyle, Elphin and half decaying ones like Strokestown maybe even put together.
Still best wishes to them in the Final which I presume will be in Pàirc Sheàin again?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2016, 06:08:05 PM

Clann, Pearses, Ros Gaels and Castlerea all have bigger areas to grab from. Of the big three in the south Brigids are the most rural.

going by your argument Tulsk has one of the largest parishes in the county!!
except people cannot live on a marsh or get permission to build a house in the middle of the largest concentration of archaeological monuments in the country

larryin89

Does brigids parish cover castlerea? Where was shane curran from when they won the all Ireland?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Not to be for Mitchels today! The journey last year took its tool as well as a tight fixture list. Corofin worthy winners today. Refreshed from last years lay-off and ready for another Connacht and AI title push. The break will do Mitchels and their possible Mayo players the world of good.

Rossfan

Quote from: larryin89 on November 13, 2016, 07:35:03 PM
Does brigids parish cover castlerea? Where was shane curran from when they won the all Ireland?

Cake had long since settled in St Brigid's area. Bumped into him in Carrick today.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 13, 2016, 06:55:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2016, 06:08:05 PM

going by your argument Tulsk has one of the largest parishes in the county!!
except people cannot live on a marsh or get permission to build a house in the middle of the largest concentration of archaeological monuments in the country

My 'argument' has nothing to do with acreage. That was literally the first thing I said in one of my posts. All the named clubs have more attractive bases both in terms of population and potential for local backing than Brigids. Fin.

Good news that Ian Kilbride may be back for the Connacht final. It was originally thought he wasn't going to be available due to army duty.